Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
DVAS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
2011 SS 6sp Transmission Noise? 747 Miles

Thank you in advance for reading:

I will try to be short and leave all of the BS out...

I have a 2011 2ss with 747 miles, 6spd. Has anyone had a "noisy gear" while under exceleration??? It happens around 3k RPM's and up for a little while... It really doesnt sound healthy at ALL... I didnt hear a thing when I bought it, and now this...

I was nervous it was the lifters. or exhaust baffles everyone has refered too, so I took it to the dealer and they now have told me it is NOT lifters OR Exhaust, but a gear??? they were pretty vague.... I does it in ALL the gears though, not one particular gear???

They claimed they even compared it to two other vehicles, New and traded in one with 18k miles and they made the same sound, but "not as much".......

Trust me, it sounds like POOP.... And did not sound like this when purchased.... I have owned them all, fancy, fast, crappy.... The car should NOT sound like this, and I refuse to except the fact that this is "normal"...

So I was basically told this: they do not know what it is, and will have to call GM for reccomendations.. I REALLY HOPE they find a solution....

Thank you again for reading and ANY information/experinces you can share would be GREATLY appreciated...

Last edited by DVAS; 05-02-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Mispelling
DVAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Shouldn't be any gear noises in the car, trans or rear diff. Mine has no gear noises, or any of the other ones I've driven.

A good driveline technician should be able to pinpoint the noise with a technician's stethescope. Put the car up on a hoist, lowered on tall stands under the rear control arms to get the susp/axles at ride hight, then have someone in the car run it at the rpm range while the tech listens around with the stethescope.

When I was a tech, noise issues like that aren't going to get solved by calling anyone. Just need to get busy with diagnosing the problem. Lazy technicians shrug their shoulders and call GM, which will accomplish nothing - they can't fix the car over the phone. A good tech will dig into it and root cause the noise through experienced diagnosis.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Shouldn't be any gear noises in the car, trans or rear diff. Mine has no gear noises, or any of the other ones I've driven.

A good driveline technician should be able to pinpoint the noise with a technician's stethescope. Put the car up on a hoist, lowered on tall stands under the rear control arms to get the susp/axles at ride hight, then have someone in the car run it at the rpm range while the tech listens around with the stethescope.

When I was a tech, noise issues like that aren't going to get solved by calling anyone. Just need to get busy with diagnosing the problem. Lazy technicians shrug their shoulders and call GM, which will accomplish nothing - they can't fix the car over the phone. A good tech will dig into it and root cause the noise through experienced diagnosis.
Russell James,

YOU ARE THE MAN! Thank you for the reply, and I cannot say enough how I agree with you... I hope someone gets to the bottom of it, I will wait to see what they come up with tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Whatever you do, don't let it go without getting them to fix it under warranty. My 2002 5speed fourth gen was grinding second and reverse with about 15k miles on it. They told me it was normal and it didn't do it everyday so I let it go. At 39k miles my car completely stopped going into second and of course it was 3k miles out of warranty. Chevy refused to fix it because they couldn't identify the problem originally, and I was stuck with a rebuilt tranny and a $1400 bill. (not repaired at a chevy dealer.)
Old 05-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Whatever you do, don't let it go without getting them to fix it under warranty. My 2002 5speed fourth gen was grinding second and reverse with about 15k miles on it. They told me it was normal and it didn't do it everyday so I let it go. At 39k miles my car completely stopped going into second and of course it was 3k miles out of warranty. Chevy refused to fix it because they couldn't identify the problem originally, and I was stuck with a rebuilt tranny and a $1400 bill. (not repaired at a chevy dealer.)

Thanks for the input, I plan to have it resolved, some how or another... Hopefully tomorrow brings new light, or fresh set of eyes to the matter. I will also be stopping by the dealer with questions and to drive these "other" cars that they claim make the same noise...
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
DVAS

Can anyone else add any input?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
bummlb
{Insert witty title here}

Drives: 2011 2SS RS RY
If you're not satisfied with the service or responses from this dealer, go to another one. They may have more competent technicians.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummlb View Post
If you're not satisfied with the service or responses from this dealer, go to another one. They may have more competent technicians.

Thanks, I plan to do so if they do not call today with good news.... It pains me to have to go elsewhere, I just bought two new vehichles from them within the last 4 weeks, over 80k spent there....
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
DVAS

Well Visisted Dealer: they wanted to do sound deadening material... SO, no band-aid for broken bones here..

I listened to exhaust witht them while on lift, all underneith (my serviuce manager was a gem, really) we heard some funny sounds coming from the stock muffler, "tin like" sounds, crackling... Didint sound right...

So we are begining with new exhaust, to eliminate noise..... should be here in a few days. I think this could be it, but not totally sold.... That sound could be carrying from the rear, and making the noise in the car, I know acuostically, sounds can travel and create different pitches in places, so lets see what happens after exhaust swap.

Also can anyone tell me if the exhaust is different between 2010 and 2011????

My exhaust looks sleeker than the one shown in the exhaust issue pics and process for checking broken baffles on one of the threads here.... There is no square boxy cat mid vehicle, it resembles an "H" and then the two torpedo looking things (shaped like old cherry bombs but smaller) before the axle??? All bent very nice and looks well.... Just curious if I totally missed all iof this.

Thanks for any news on exhaust changes between 10 and 11 and I look forward to updating once exhaust is installed
Old 05-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Vader SS what exact noise were you hearing? I had a noise coming from that area also in my first SS. Sounded like the noise a CD player would make while the CD is spinning. Was determined and confirmed by a bulletin that it was backpressure in the coolant lines that run through that area. The fix was a pressure relief valve
PIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
DVAS, I hope they are able to get the car repaired to your liking. If they are unsuccessful then please feel free to contact me and I will do what I can to assist you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
Heard the exact noise you are describing in a 2k miles 2011 I drove earlier this week. Under acceleration at about 3k rpms and up, the noise seemed to be coming from the shifter area (at least up through the boot, anyway). I'm no expert mechanic, but I've turned a wrench or two and this sound was not what I would call normal or healthy. Other 2010's and 2011's we drove were not making this noise.
Thanks, I can agree, it did not sound healthy, and the best place I could hear it to, was coming up throught he boot, however, it is coming from under the car somewhere, just not sure where, and not right at all... I guess trial and error for now....

What was the fix on the one you drove, do you work at dealership? I hope someone see's this and says, YEP, I had and it is: X...

Thanks VaderSS
Wish me luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
Vader SS what exact noise were you hearing? I had a noise coming from that area also in my first SS. Sounded like the noise a CD player would make while the CD is spinning. Was determined and confirmed by a bulletin that it was backpressure in the coolant lines that run through that area. The fix was a pressure relief valve
HA! was it only under exccelleration???? That sounds bizarre, but I've seen stranger things! I can bring it up to my dealer when I go back in. Do you happen to have the Bulliten #?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
DVAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
DVAS, I hope they are able to get the car repaired to your liking. If they are unsuccessful then please feel free to contact me and I will do what I can to assist you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks Jeff,

I am being as patience as possible, buthaving this issue and just preparing to make first pmt is ruff on ones soul..... Especially when you love the car and have been a dedicated GM guy for years...

My service manager has been stellar though, he ensured me we will figure it out, and he was clear he wanted me to be satisfied and the car to be right...

I will be sure to keep everyone posted.