Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #71
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by f ę r View Post
Awesome time! Though the driver were almost off-roading that car. So you can replicate that time in your car, you should buy several boxes of duck tape to cover the bumpers and side rocker panels. Not to mention new tires if you're going to curb the corners like that.

But if you want to sell a car from the point of view of what it can do on a road track, no matter the consequences after racing... Awesome job GMotors! Thats an impressive time.

I wonder, GMotors are putting these videos, but if I buy a ZL-1 and do that same to my car, its an automatic void for the warranty?
I would say no. They are saying this car is meant to be tracked, bith 1/4 mile and road course..... for fun... if you are using it in a competition and for money, well then it might change, but not sure.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #72
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
When I watched this earlier, it just seemed the driver was a lot more aggressive and less smooth. Maybe it was just the car wasn't as in control, I don't know, but you bring up an excellent point.
No doubt .. I think w/ the GT500 there were a few more OH SH!T moments .. lol .. anyway .. like I said, I'd love to see same driver same day in each car ...

I'll say one thing ... both cars have come a long way for sure! ..

BTW .. it is interesting that early on, when they go under the bridge or sign or whatever it is .. the ZL1 is already 5MPH ahead at that time .. .. some corners you can see the ZL1 having a good 12mph advantage ... that is awesome.

Crowley
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #73
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I want the ZL1 to be my roadcourse car.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #74
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
No doubt .. I think w/ the GT500 there were a few more OH SH!T moments .. lol .. anyway .. like I said, I'd love to see same driver same day in each car ...

I'll say one thing ... both cars have come a long way for sure! ..

BTW .. it is interesting that early on, when they go under the bridge or sign or whatever it is .. the ZL1 is already 5MPH ahead at that time .. .. some corners you can see the ZL1 having a good 12mph advantage ... that is awesome.

Crowley
The Gs ZL1 appears to be holding are really high, too. I'll admit I only watched the '500 video once, and the ZL1 video a few times, but it just looks easier to drive. That shouldn't be a big surprise, really, given the IRS and MRC III, but we're talking a car down on power by 100 now... I think the driver's going to have his hands full, but you could say that about any car with 650 horse'.

You're totally right; these cars are so much farther now it's crazy. When they were young, I don't know that there were many comparisons to the-then-supercars in any other way than straight line performance. Now, it's not entirely unreasonable to compare them in about all the major performance regimes. Still - I don't call any GM car a supercar - but they are definately SUPER cars; the same holds true for Ford. Well - in fact - I did consider the GT a supercar, and still think it is; that's mostly because of the outrageous styling, among a couple other things. I still don't call Corvette a supercar because it's styling isn't Aventador-crazy (which I'm glad, because I truly love the 6th Gen design). Like I said - they perform on-par and even exceed many, but supercars they are not. That's fine by me - I'd rather go good than look good

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #75
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Me too! That's why I bought one

Honestly of all the cars I have driven on track, my current SS is by far the easiest to drive fast at the track and is tons of fun!

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #76
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
That's fine by me - I'd rather go good than look good
There .. that is signature material

Crowley
Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #77
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
If I may - I've been thinking...

I'm thinking ZL1 could be better for road courses, where the suspension would likely outperform the Snake, but, something longer, like the 'Ring, the Snake would excel because it could take more advantage of the straights with it's power. I maintain I think ZL1 will still be more than competitive in the twisties, but if you give that Snake enough space, it's going to be tough to stay out front.

That leads me to my next question - how would they compare on an autocross? ZL1 is heavier, but could bite harder, and there's less room for a lot of powre. The Snake is lighter, and suspension may not bite as hard in the corners, but can't use all of it's power...

It's clear to me GM and Ford are taking these cars in diverging directions perhaps, the more I think about it. While less downforce in ZL1 might enable high-180s and maybe bottom 190-top speeds, Ford is taking the Snake clear to 200. While it has considerably more power, it will be interesting to see what aerodynamics it has in comparison to ZL1. I know they're improved over the last Snake, but I think GM kinda' favored more downforce instead of top speed. That seems a fair trade-off, because what tracks are you going to use 200 MPH? Not the 'Ring, where GM likes to go.

Hmm... I'm almost more curious about the Snake than ZL1, lol You know what they say about the enemy

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #78
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
There .. that is signature material

Crowley
If you saw me, you'd understand why that's so true

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #79
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
If you saw me, you'd understand why that's so true
LMAO !!

Crowley
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #80
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
nice!
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #81
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
ZL1 VIR lap video

That ZL1 just keep looking better and better with each new test...GM's intention was to produce a complete overall performance car (track and street) and the mission is accomplished !!! Watching the video, I can hear my heart thumping and my pulse quicken....

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #82
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
I know it's been said before, but after watching these two videos and with more and more info coming out on the 2013 snake I just have to say. I don't care if you are a ford or Chevy guy the bottom line is these two companies are building two awesome cars right now. When it's all said and done they are producing two cars that perform on border line super car level for 55-65k and that is awesome. Gotta love american muscle!
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #83
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I WILL have you, ZL1!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #84
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
ZL1 times will be much better as the weather HEATS UP... !
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote