Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #29
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Yes as well as bring the revs up quicker.
Hylton,

For those of us who are not familiar with all these controls can you explain traction control, releasing traction control and any other mode we have. Thanks John
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #30
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Hylton,

For those of us who are not familiar with all these controls can you explain traction control, releasing traction control and any other mode we have. Thanks John
I'll post something this evening.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Thanks, as always. I'm sure alot of people are like me and really dont know what the benefits of each are.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #32
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you want your L99 to run fast.

1. Make sure it has 93 octane from day 1.
2. Start running the engine through its rpm range (early) - like on the way home from the dealer. I'm not saying rag on your car and hit redline, but let the engine breath and hit a wide range of rpms.
3. Everytime you start your car up and drive it, try to do some wide open runs. They can be 20-50mph or 40-70mph. Just let the engine move through the rpm range under load.
4. Oil change by 1000 miles.

I know this doesn't follow the recommended break in. But if you want your L99 to run strong from day 1, I advise this break in strategy.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question. Yes, there have been reports of sluggish performance from some of the LS3's. There have also been a lot of guys running much slower than expected times at the track.

Here's a thread (Quote) that just started today.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37853

My LS3 doesnt feel all that fast!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Called dealer today to find out what grade of fuel they put in my camaro. He told me that they put 87 octane in all there cars even the corvette. I now have 93 octane in the car but still seems a little sluggish. Does anyone know how long I should unhook the battery for to get a complete reset of the computer?

Here's another Thread.
I picked up a CGM 2SS RS 2 nights ago, have only driven it about 30-40 miles so far but I'm just not impressed with the car.

Overall, I think I like it but I'm just not crazy about it. For starters, it feels incredibly slow. For a 426 HP V8 I was expecting a little more
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...+slow+sluggish

Last edited by SGOS252382; 08-17-2009 at 04:14 PM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #33
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
The car will "learn" how you drive sooooooo if you drive the car like a p*ssy, the car will act like a p*ssy. Ask anyone here who beats on her regularily and they will tell you the car runs like a scolded bandit.
This is true... Here is 666 personality with no mods yet... I broke him the way it should be, very "Spiritedly", “wink wink nudge nudge you know what I mean”.

Name:  evil-smiley-face.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  25.2 KB

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #34
Jimmy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Camaro
My LS3 gets up and goes. I have around 900 miles. I ran 0 to 60 on Sunday between 4.5 and 5 seconds and it felt like I could could have gone faster if I wanted. I love the car.

Unfortunately, it rained today and is scheduled to rain for the next 3 days. I leave it in the garage when it rains and will do so in the winter as well.

1100 (original order date): 1-10-09
2000 (dealer received allocation): 5-7-09
3000 (accepted to production): 5-14-09
3300 (scheduled for prod):6-5-09
3400 (broadcast):6-10-09
3800 (produced):6-20-09 2G1FT1EW8A9120472
5000 (at dealer): 7-6-09
6000 (delivered): 7-6-09
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #35
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Looking forward to hearing the results. Please post back here so that others can learn from it. Remember, you must hold the trac button down until you see the yellow lights come on in your dash pod. You'll think nothing is happening but just keep holding the button!
Hylton,

GM Engineers said just tap it once to turn of traction control for runs. The said do not turn everything off. Their worry is as seen by some video wrecking noobies is hit anything slick and you lost your lateral control of Stabiltack.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #36
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Hylton,

GM Engineers said just tap it once to turn of traction control for runs. The said do not turn everything off. Their worry is as seen by some video wrecking noobies is hit anything slick and you lost your lateral control of Stabiltack.
Yes this is definitely a posibility. I however want the car to feel like my tire frying '69 Z/28. No stabilitrak in that baby!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #37
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Yes this is definitely a posibility. I however want the car to feel like my tire frying '69 Z/28. No stabilitrak in that baby!

Learned something today

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #38
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmurphy View Post
I have 3000 miles on it. I will give that combination a try this evening and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Old 08-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #39
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
It has something to do with yaw. There, how's that?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #40
jhmurphy

Drives: Grey Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
It has been rainy for the last two days here waiting for the roads to dry up before i give it a try.
jhmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #41
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
Hylton,

After your generous gift to me, how can I say no to you John? Here we go....

Most of us think there are only 2 systems that can be affected by that Traction Control switch but actually there are 4 (main systems):

Antilock Braking Sytem (ABS)
Traction Control System (TCS)
Vehicle Electronic Stabiltiy (VES)
Engine Drag Control (EDC)

Each of these systems has a very specific purpose even though they may share control modules and sensors. I'll get into them in a sec...

The module which controls these systems is the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM). This module does far more than just handle braking - it is the module which controls everything associated with tires being on the pavement and the car being in a straight line.

Some of the sensors which return data back to the EBCM include: the wheel speed sensor, the lateral accelerometer sensor, the yaw rate sensor and the steering wheel positioning sensor. Based on the names alone, you can imagine the type of calculations the EBCM has been engineered to make.

Anyways, getting back to the traction/braking systems - here's a bit of a run down in terms of what each system actually does.

ABS

Nothing you don't already know except that the system can release, hold or increase the amount of brake pressure to any wheel independently of each others requirement. It cannot however, increase more brake pressure than what the master cylinder is dishing out so if you are in a jam and your ABS is on, jump on that brake pedal as hard as you can so you can give the system the max amount of braking pressure if it needs it. If it's too much, don't worry, the system will figure out which wheel(s) to lighten up on.

TCS

The TCS actually has a "graduated" design. When the EBCM detects drive wheel slippage, the FIRST thing it does is sends a signal to the ECM telling it to reduce the amount of torque it is sending to those wheels. How does the ECM do that? It retards the timing and starts shutting down fuel injectors. (anyone starting to see how having TCS on affects seat of your pants acceleration?).

If this is not enough to control wheel spin, then the EBCM will begin applying brake pressure to the drive wheels in conjunction to what the ECM is doing. All this happens in miliseconds.

EDC

When a driver let's of the gas rapidly or downshifts to cause the rear tires to skid, this system will actually have the EBCM send a message to the ECM telling it to increase torque to the rear wheels (throttle increase) so that wheel lockup is prevented.

VES

I previously made a joke about yaw control but this car really does calculate the yaw rate in order to take the car out of a slide. In simple terms, the yaw rate is the amount of angle the car is sliding sideways. So if you want to drift the car, you must turn this system off or it will constantly be trying to bring the car back.

How does the system determine yaw rate? It uses 3 parameters: position of the steering wheel, the speed of the vehicle and sideways acceleration of the vehicle.

This system will generally kick in under performance driving but it will also kick in when you are driving on a loose gravel road and the rear end kicks out on you. This system will kick in even if you slide out on a gravel road while your foot is off the gas or brake pedal.

So all this to say what? There is a lot more going on in this car than you might think. Holding the traction control button for 5 seconds, turns all this stuff off and gives you a muscle car of old. I love all this technology but not when I want to light up my tires or hammer on the gas.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #42
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmurphy View Post
Try again i drive mine like a stole it and it is having issues. 297 hp on the dyno and 6.8 0-60. I took it to the dealer today and as of now no fix. Most likely a tune issue waiting to hear from a gm district rep. May be the same issue as scott but i don't know yet.

Just like I have been telling you, there are alot more case's out there then you think. The only common thread that I can see that the cars seem to be in the south??
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote