Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Mines an icebox now! Real quick! Had a small problem but handled it very easy!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
I don’t know if your problem is the same as mine, but anyway. I had to bring the car in for warranty work because I had no AC. I found out later that it probably wasn’t charged when it came from the factory.

Tech did a check and said there was no refrigerant in the system; you may have the same problem as me. Take it into the dealer.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Just an interesting note the ZL1 has a different AC condenser than the SS. The ZL1 has adapters on the inlet and outlet to fit the same fittings as the SS and mounts for the WTA Heat exchanger. No idea about capacity just that it’s completely different. I don’t have the documentation but by my memory the ZL1 has less Freon capacity than a SS on the under hood sticker.
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
kmthor00

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Mine is the coldest AC I've ever had in any car!
kmthor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
eightup

Drives: 2013 zl1
put a thermometer in the vent and check the temp.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Basically from what I read from AZ ZL1 owners, you can turn the system off then back on and it will start blowing cold again. In short you need to have about 2 oz of freon removed for the problem not to occur again.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
mrmertz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
Just an interesting note the ZL1 has a different AC condenser than the SS. The ZL1 has adapters on the inlet and outlet to fit the same fittings as the SS and mounts for the WTA Heat exchanger. No idea about capacity just that it’s completely different. I don’t have the documentation but by my memory the ZL1 has less Freon capacity than a SS on the under hood sticker.
Hmm. Wondered about that.

I have bookmarked this page and will bring it in Wed. To dealer. Funny, but today with all the thunder boomers around it was quite overcast. Had to turn the fan on about 3 or 4 setting as it was really chilly in the ZL. I don't think this is a freon issue myself, but will see Wed. At times it almost seems as if I actually have the heater running, it's that hot. Then you can feel it start getting cool after a while. It's as if the blower is sucking in outside air and the compressor hasn't kicked in at all, even though the button shows it set to recirculating.

Oh well Reggie and others, will post back here with results Wed. evening.
mrmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #22
TrekGTO

My ZL1 customer says when he turns off compressor and just has fan on with outside air it is heated even when its set to full cold. It sounds like there is a software or servo problem with these cars.

Last edited by TrekGTO; 07-08-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #23
mrmertz

From another thread, this to me makes some kind of sense;

06-26-2012, 10:29 PM #23
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
iTrader Rating: 0 reviews
Keep in mind that your condenser is sandwiched between the heat exchanger and radiator. So if you were at normal operating temp and turned the car off on a hot day you now have a hot radiator and hot heat exchanger pouring heat into the cooler condenser. Heat equals pressure so when you turn the car off the condenser starts heating up quickly and building pressure in the A/C lines. The pressure switch in the A/C system see's the high pressure so it wont turn the compressor on until it falls to a safe level. Once you start driving and moving air across the stack, or the fans run for a few minutes, it cools the condenser down and drops the pressure to a safe level and allows the compressor to kick back on.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #24
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Sorry but this is still kinda on topic. I have NO problems with my AC, but when I have it set to vent(yes with recirc on,....or off)) it blows warm air. Its not hot air but it sure seems warmer than the air outside. Sorry for the hi-jack.
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #25
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
Sorry but this is still kinda on topic. I have NO problems with my AC, but when I have it set to vent(yes with recirc on,....or off)) it blows warm air. Its not hot air but it sure seems warmer than the air outside. Sorry for the hi-jack.
Same Thing

My ZL1 customer says when he turns off compressor and just has fan on with outside air it is heated even when its set to full cold. It sounds like there is a software or servo problem with these cars.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Guys, what mrmertz posted is the reason you are having problems. What I posted is the temporary work around and the final solution.

Our engines run at 200 degrees, combined with the summer temperatures if you turn off the compressor and just use fan its going to feel hotter than it is outside.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #27
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakestang65 View Post
There is another thread where there is information on ZL1's being overcharged from the factory. Once a few ounces of 134 are removed, the systems performed much better. (Especially here in AZ). Take your car into the dealer and have them check.

John

Here is the thread : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233355
They are not overcharged according to their specs, they just remove 2 ounces as a temp fix. So, either their specs are wrong or I think a more long term fix would be the compressor switch. the coolant removal would be a much cheaper fix and it worked with mine.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
mrmertz

And the final answer is...

Took the car to dealer as I said I would today. The final synopsis for my car was that there is a tech bulletin out out on it. Bulletin stated that a/c system needed to be evacuated and then recharged. The tech stated he found out also that the system was 1 pound low on freon before evac. He noted that the a/c now blows at 45 degrees and cools quickly from the vents.

Well, sounds like the end of this thread...I hope! Hope this may help someone else also! And also as always, thanks for everyone's input!!!

***PLEASE NOTE - This is what was determined for MY VEHICLE - your milage may vary!***

Ticket quote:

"CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE A/C SEEMS TO TAKE A MINUTE OR MORE TO START BLOWING COLD AIR FROM VENTS.
INSPECTED
EVACUATED AND FOUND FREON 1 LB. LOW, RECHARGED WITH 1 LB. FREON. SYSTEM WORKING AS DESIGNED."

Last edited by mrmertz; 07-10-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added info