Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #43
Mizzou-RS

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow LT2RS
Send a message via ICQ to Mizzou-RS
Could it be that the steering wheel is straight and the rest of the car is crooked?

Just a thought.
Mizzou-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #44
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
1st, my new Sky is just slightly off, and it bugs me. So I understand.

2nd, there are manufacturing tolerances in building anything, including your Camaro. That means there is variation. It would be nearly impossible to get every car with the wheel PERFECTLY centered. Which brings up the point of your photos, how do we know your wheels are perfectly straight? If you didn't use lasers on the wheels you wouldn't know.

So what they are telling you is that the wheel is "off center" within normal manufacturing tolerances and not covered under warranty. I don't know what that is, but probably + or - a few degrees. You could ask your service department how far off it would have to be in order to be covered.

From what you are showing and describing, a simple alignment should fix it. They will align the steering wheel straight ahead and then adjust the alignment of the wheels to match. As this isn't a Camber or Caster adjustment it is really quite easy.

And lastly, if you feel this is really out of alignment, PM me and I will give a phone number and we can try to get you some help to resolve this. No guarantees, but there is a process.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #45
Chip

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS '96 riv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
From what you are showing and describing, a simple alignment should fix it. They will align the steering wheel straight ahead and then adjust the alignment of the wheels to match. As this isn't a Camber or Caster adjustment it is really quite easy.
from what i saw and read i think he's actually talking about the angle the wheel is mounted not that there is a allignment issue.

the steering wheel points to the center of the car on the new Camaro, i for one really like it that way, may be misguided but i seem to have a better feeling for the oversteer this way.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #46
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
from what i saw and read i think he's actually talking about the angle the wheel is mounted not that there is a allignment issue.

the steering wheel points to the center of the car on the new Camaro, i for one really like it that way, may be misguided but i seem to have a better feeling for the oversteer this way.
This is correct - it's not the typical alignment issue that can be adjusted with standard methods. As I previously stated, when looking from the top of the car, an imaginary line drawn through the center of the steering column is not parallel with the centerline of the vehicle itself. I have no issues with the alignment of the four wheels or the left/right position of the steering wheel (the top of the steering wheel is centered at 12 o'clock when traveling straight).
Old 02-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #47
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Boy talk about missing the point sorry about that.

I just checked an SS here in the office and yes the steering column does point slightly in board. Generally this is due to the steering gear attacment being slightly inboard relative to the column. It is very difficult to move the gear and get this perfectly straight.

So this is by design and can't be corrected.........unless you tear up the and either move the seat inboard or the steering gear outboard.

I will say I am generally sensitive to this but never noticed on the Camaro until just now.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #48
Chip

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS '96 riv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I will say I am generally sensitive to this but never noticed on the Camaro until just now.
don't beat yourself up over it, i wouldn't have noticed it if the GM trainer didn't point it out.

in everyday driving you may not appreciated it, but when i was slamming 2ss through some cones i really did appreciate it.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #49
Dmactampa
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black on Black
I have the same problem with my 2LT/RS. Did anyone ever find a fix for this?
Dmactampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #50
joeaux
Kicker!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2LT/RS
They're all that way. My wife's V6 and my V8 are like that. I noticed it when I first got mine. My wife had hers for a while before me. She never noticed it. When I told her about it, well, it drove her nuts till she forgot about it. Normal it is. Yes. There is no "fix".
-joe-
Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #51
Dmactampa
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black on Black
Thanks for the response. It bothers the hell out of me so I hope I get used to it as well. Now if I can figure out what this noise coming from under the center console is I think I will finally be happy with mine.
Dmactampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #52
joeaux
Kicker!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2LT/RS
Heh. Does it sound kinda like Rice Krispies or flow noise of some sort. A bubbling sound? If it does do a search for "rice krispies". No, I'm not kidding. :P
-joe-