Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Rich Gonz

Drives: 2010 2ss
Shorty Headers, CEL P0174

I had my bbk shorties installed yesterday and when I grabbed the car last night I noticed the CEL. I called today and I was told that headers usually give the light, which I know is generally false with regard to short tubes. Any ideas of what I should tell them to check out when I stop by after work today?

Mods that may influence the light: BBK shorties, solo hi flow cats, resonator and muffler delete, CAI cold air intake
GPI SS2 VVT Cam + supporting goodies installed by Jerry @ Ideal Garage, BBK 1 7/8 Long Tubes catless/resonator and muffler delete, CircleD 3200 Stall, CAI air intake, Rx Catch Can, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Hotchkis 1 Inch Springs and Sways, TSW Nurburgring wheels,
Rich Gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Thought I was the only one on the planet to install short headers with Solo HiFlows. Did you keep the resonators that come with the hiflow cats?

Don't they sound great!

Anyway, so you're lean on bank 2 indicates a leak. Hopefully they just need to re-torque the mounting bolts. Do the BBK's weld on at the mid-pipe or bolt on with a flange? Either way- check for a leak there as well.

Finally, did you use the O2 sensor extensions on the "after cat" sensors? Make sure they are not cross threaded and in snug with anti-seize on the threads.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
My mistake- just noticed you've got a SS, so no resonators after the cats and they bolt on at the midpipe.
Check the gasket/tightness there.

But I'm sure they still sound great!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gonz View Post
I had my bbk shorties installed yesterday and when I grabbed the car last night I noticed the CEL. I called today and I was told that headers usually give the light, which I know is generally false with regard to short tubes. Any ideas of what I should tell them to check out when I stop by after work today?

Mods that may influence the light: BBK shorties, solo hi flow cats, resonator and muffler delete, CAI cold air intake
More than likely you have an exhaust leak being detected by the O2 sensor.

Recheck your installation.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Rich Gonz

I brought it back to the mechanic a few times, they claim the work is done properly and they also replaced an O2 sensor...They are adamant on my needing of a tune at this point
GPI SS2 VVT Cam + supporting goodies installed by Jerry @ Ideal Garage, BBK 1 7/8 Long Tubes catless/resonator and muffler delete, CircleD 3200 Stall, CAI air intake, Rx Catch Can, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Hotchkis 1 Inch Springs and Sways, TSW Nurburgring wheels,
Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I brought it back to the mechanic a few times, they claim the work is done properly and they also replaced an O2 sensor...They are adamant on my needing of a tune at this point
Could be the manifold gasket. What did they use? (BBK supplied or reused the stock gaskets ...preferred) So yea they could have installed correctly but if used BKK supplied gaskets ( are you feeling lucky today ) then I'd replace them with the stock ones. No way you're running lean with your mods and need a tune. I have Hedman shortys, Solo HFs & a CAI and my fuel trims are still a little rich.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #7
Rich Gonz

yeah BBK supplied the gaskets
Old 10-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #8
norris_83

Drives: Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06
Take a good listen in the engine bay, and see if you hear any leaks. A bank 2 code would be the passengers side, so look there.

The gaskets that get sent with ARH, Kooks, BBK whatever company are complete rubbish. You need to use OEM gaskets for a proper seal.

I'm also a bit worried, with the header install, some mechanics actually by accident crack spark plugs. Check to make sure all plugs and wires are ok. You should hear a clicking noise from the plugs or a huffing noise if it's an air leak.

goodluck!
norris_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 AM   #9
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
There are plenty of people running shorties and high flow cats without CEL's. Chances are there is a leak somewhere. Did replacing the O2 sensor fix the problem? Honestly you wont gain a whole lot from a tune with shorties, but you will gain, and my personal opinion is to get the tune, but to each his own. My point is, unless you had a bad O2 sensor, or a leak somewhere, there really shouldn't be a code.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
Rich Gonz

what exactly would the leak sound like? I checked the box they put my stock parts in and it looks like they didn't keep the stock gaskets... Do you know how much they cost by any chance?

Edit: I let it idle for a few minutes to try and hear the huffing for a leak, but my ears are untrained towards this sort of stuff so I don't think I heard anything even if it is there. I guess I could try taking it to an exhaust/muffler shop nearby and ask them to look at it...

Last edited by Rich Gonz; 10-21-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #11
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Typically the GM manifold gaskets are the best to use. Most people, including myself don't use anything but the GM gaskets. You can get away with reusing the factory gaskets, but for 35 dollars, and i mean max 35 bucks. Its good piece of mind.

As for the sound of an exhaust leak, it depends on where its leaking at. Typically if its leaking at the heads, you will hear a ticking sound. Downstream is a little harder to hear. I will let others chime in on what to listen for. Honestly if you have some other shop close by then let them take a look at it. Did replacing the sensor fix the code?
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
what exactly would the leak sound like? I checked the box they put my stock parts in and it looks like they didn't keep the stock gaskets... Do you know how much they cost by any chance?

Edit: I let it idle for a few minutes to try and hear the huffing for a leak, but my ears are untrained towards this sort of stuff so I don't think I heard anything even if it is there. I guess I could try taking it to an exhaust/muffler shop nearby and ask them to look at it...
If the leak is coming from the exhaust manifold it would sound like a loud ticking noise. If its coming from the header to cat flange you really wouldn't be able to hear it. I would replace both the header and flange gasket with GM gaskets. My guess is that if you're getting a lean code you're probably leaking from both.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #13
Rich Gonz

Replacing the sensor didn't help, and I had the lean code before it threw a second code p219b

Last edited by Rich Gonz; 10-22-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
Rich Gonz

As of earlier tonight I'm only throwing the code P219B, onstar didn't mention the code for P0174...Anyone know why this might be?