Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Nesfes
VSIX 1LE

Drives: 2013 Camaro V6 1LE
Unhappy Random Power Failure

I drive a 2013 V6 (1LS trim)
I gassed up my car on my way home today, when I sat down in my car to leave I put my key in the ignition and the entire car completely died - all of the lights went out, ignition didn't work, and I couldn't even get the trunk open to check the battery (couldn't crawl back to pull the cable at the moment)..... After a few minutes power was restored to the entire car and all settings were reset followed by a strange ticking noise (hopefully not rod-knock) that I couldn't quite pinpoint at the moment. I'll take my car to the dealer as soon as I can but holy cow - what if my power goes out like that while I'm driving and I loose hydraulic pressure to my brakes and electric power steering? I suspect that this has happened before - I left my car in the college parking lot for about two hours and when I came out all of my settings were reset and my CD had been Ejected, the car had power but I suspect that it had lost and regained power at some point in those two hours...
I love my Camaro to death but this is downright dangerous.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
That's a definite issue to be concerned with. No doubt this is a very random/occasional issue, which will make it nearly impossible to replicate. Unfortunately, a dealer will want to "see" the problem occur before doing anything, though maybe a diagnostics check will show something (but I doubt it).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
You won't loose brakes or steering if that happens while driving. It will just take more effort to do both. The biggest thing is to not panick if it does happen. Good luck with getting to the bottom of the problem. I would suspect that it's somewhere from the battery to the main fuse panel. That's the only place you would loose everything. Or the battery ground.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
19car69

Drives: 2012 1LS
Put in a twin turbo. That will fix the problem.

Let us know what you find.
2012 1LS, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Apex scoop, Apex water bottle relocation, VMax Ported TB, Vitesse Throttle Controller, BMR Sway bars, BMR 1.2" drop springs, Koni rear shocks, Elite catch can, Solo Performance V6 Mach X-LFX Cat-Back Exhaust, Hex Vents, 1LE strut tower brace, Barton short throw, separate clutch reservoir, American Racing TORQ THRUST M 18X9, HiTS radio with reverse camera, GM Blade Dovetail spoiler, 2010 leather wrap steering wheel, vented engine cover, added Homelink to overhead console.
19car69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You won't loose brakes or steering if that happens while driving. It will just take more effort to do both.....
What he said... both brakes and steering will take more EFFORT, and some people will simply "give up" at that point, thinking that brakes and steering are gone. However, both will still function, and only but the weakest and frailest will be able to control the vehicle without power assistance.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Happened to me in a parking lot earlier this year not sure what or why, but backed out of my stall put it in drive instantly died had to turn the car completly off and restart it. I tried to start it in neutral after losing power but wouldn't do anything like it was being told that it was still running.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
curtismyhero

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Man I read your post about this on FB to the club this morning. That's some crazy stuff! Definitely keep everyone posted as I'm curious to know the cause of what happened.
curtismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
htoniv

Drives: Camaro
Mate, I was having the same EXACT problem you were having few months prior. The time settings, the ejected CD, the sudden loss of power when accelerating, (Which was extremely scary, cuz it felt like the entire car stopped, I am glad this was not in the highway)
What I did was, I opened the trunk, removed both connections on the battery, removed the connection from the battery to the ground, and plugged them all back in securely. I have not had the issue since then. Same yourself a trip, and some time by trying this out first.

see my thread, i thought i replied again to it last, but guess i didnt..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355417
htoniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
It'll probably just be a loose cable on the battery - check it out and do what the guy above said - remove them, clean the contacts, and screw them back on tight.

My aftermarket command start was giving me fits last year so I took it to the dealer to get it looked at - all they did was "tighten up" the battery posts so I was pretty mad, but ... tada... never had problems since.
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesfes View Post
I drive a 2013 V6 (1LS trim)
I gassed up my car on my way home today, when I sat down in my car to leave I put my key in the ignition and the entire car completely died - all of the lights went out, ignition didn't work, and I couldn't even get the trunk open to check the battery (couldn't crawl back to pull the cable at the moment)..... After a few minutes power was restored to the entire car and all settings were reset followed by a strange ticking noise (hopefully not rod-knock) that I couldn't quite pinpoint at the moment. I'll take my car to the dealer as soon as I can but holy cow - what if my power goes out like that while I'm driving and I loose hydraulic pressure to my brakes and electric power steering? I suspect that this has happened before - I left my car in the college parking lot for about two hours and when I came out all of my settings were reset and my CD had been Ejected, the car had power but I suspect that it had lost and regained power at some point in those two hours...
I love my Camaro to death but this is downright dangerous.
Nesfes,

I’m sorry to hear that you lost all power after gassing up your car! We are glad that it wasn’t while you were moving and that you’re safe. If you want to take the Camaro into the dealership and get this concern hopefully diagnosed, I would be happy to set you up with an appointment! Please PM us your name, VIN, current mileage, contact info, and preferred dealership and I can get it all set up for you!

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, help me, power loss, recall