Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
NewDivide
NewDivide

Drives: SW '13 1SS/RS & '12 Honda CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
If you are getting dirt underneath the edges of your clear bra it means they didnt seal them down with a heat gun. Either that or you are using a power wash every now and then to wash your car. if thats the case then try not to use the pressure washer around the edges as it will cause lifting. If you dont use a pressure washer thn take it back to the installer to get it replaced. That is covered under warranty and this time make sure he heat seals the edges down with a heat gun... or he will be doing it again.
Thnx; believe it or not they've replaced the damn thing twice, as it wasn't staying down in some places. Oh and it's that Ventureshield thing someone mentioned earlier :(
I heard you could clay the edges tho to clean the fine edge of grime? Oh and no power washer on my car, ever....
Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Ive had my car 2 years and not 1 rock chip in the front. Just don't drive so close behind anyone. I'd do the gills for sure though.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #31
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM65 View Post
Get it....in Colorado 2 things your car needs in winter.....clear bra and widsheild insurance!!!!
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
mbcuz38

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just got my car back from getting a clearbra on it. Cost $1500 for whole front of car, mirrors, bottoms of doors, full rockers in front and behind rear wheel, behind trunk and bottoms of door jams, door cups and complete light and gauge package. Hard to fork out that kind of $$$ but when you spend 40 grand on the car and hear all the subpar paint stories imo I think its worth it.
mbcuz38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #33
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Do tell why. I went with 3M ClearBra but am curious. There were several telling me to stay away from 3M and go with VentureShield when I was first looking.

The installer should have installed it around the stripes, mine did...
My car has it running 18" up the hood and fenders, well into the stripe area and he went around the stripes and up in between them, no gloss here:
Good to know. I was wondering about that since we will be getting ours installed on our 45th once the paint is cured enough to accept it. We will be going with 3M after hearing all good things about it and looked at some at C5Fest and if it's done right....you can't see the edge! I was impressed! Wish we would have done it on our 4th gen that is my daily driver. Rock chips galore
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #34
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
The film $900 to $1200 I can get the front end painted 4 times....!!!I will stay with paint..I have seen some bad jobs and some good ones...but on a silver car I dont likey!!

$1200 thats a set of good tires!!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #35
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
my front end and my lower sides were done on the same day I took delivery of my car. it was a pricey investment but well worth it.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #36
westsacss

Drives: 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
I am just getting the "gills" area done. $120 total with Avery Nano Fusion.

IMHO, that is the most vulnerable part of the car.

-Funk

Getting A new 2012 SS soon and am considering the clear bra. Was wondering why the "gills" are an important area to cover? Thanks
westsacss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #37
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
i got my car on thursday, getting the bra installed on tuesday. it's a must have IMO. have you ever owned a car before this? did you ever look at the front bumper? unless it was white or silver, you could probably see the damage of rocks and bugs, etc. every car i've owned i felt like after the car was a few years old the bumper looked completely worn out.

don't get anything on the hood bra'd. i don't think that is very necessary. the installer should hopefully be good enough to bra the bumper to the lines of where it meets the other body panels. if he's good, no one will be able to tell there is a bra there.

some porsche's have clear bra's factory installed on parts of the car. so, even if your bra is a little noticeable, it doesn't mean it's going to look abnormal or bad. FYI, getting your front bumper repainted will eat that $1,200 away pretty quickly. and also $1,200 is way too expensive. you should pay about half that for the bumper only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsacss View Post
Getting A new 2012 SS soon and am considering the clear bra. Was wondering why the "gills" are an important area to cover? Thanks
front tire slings rocks back, and the gill just happens to jut out from the rest of the car and is the prime target of said front-tire-slinging-rocks.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote