Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
TJacobs41

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
looking to add some mods but unsure of what i should get

im looking to add some mods to my 1LT. i would really like to keep the price as low as possible. also, ive never really worked on cars before but i would like to install some parts myself if possible.

any suggestions?
TJacobs41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro
Get a cold air intake and leave it at that performance wise. Maybe....maybe an axle back. Dont waste money on headers or a tune or any of that other garbage to make your car a tad faster than the other slow v6 guys. Its a v6 accept it for what it is and you will be happier. Far to many people here bought a v6 because it was cheaper just to mod it beyond the cost of an ss and still be slower.

Anywho, for looks, that subjective. I would suggest some drop springs, which I wouldnt do myself, tint...again I wouldnt do my self, maybe switch to Brembos, they look 1,000,000 times better. K.I.S.S. your car will be worth more in the end if you can return it to stock. Just remember that.
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8411 View Post
Get a cold air intake and leave it at that performance wise. Maybe....maybe an axle back. Dont waste money on headers or a tune or any of that other garbage to make your car a tad faster than the other slow v6 guys. Its a v6 accept it for what it is and you will be happier. Far to many people here bought a v6 because it was cheaper just to mod it beyond the cost of an ss and still be slower.

Anywho, for looks, that subjective. I would suggest some drop springs, which I wouldnt do myself, tint...again I wouldnt do my self, maybe switch to Brembos, they look 1,000,000 times better. K.I.S.S. your car will be worth more in the end if you can return it to stock. Just remember that.

Its your car, mod it how you want. Don't listen to the haters like this guy above me.

But anyways, Cold Air Intake and exhaust is a must! Not a "maybe...maybe" on the exhaust. Take a look at the V6 exhaust sticky thread and find a setup you like and go for it. Mufflers alone will not provide you much power, but the differences in sound alone are worth the change.

If I had bought the SS I would have spent at least 6 grand more up front, plus its dumb to think I wouldn't have been doing the EXACT SAME MODS I'm doing to my V6....so..to me....still 6 + grand saved and I love my V6.

Don't get me wrong...V8 is the bomb, but the though of a V6 pushing 320 to 340 or more horse depending on the mods is pretty friggin awsome too.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:

Lol...yes it's just a V6. So's this..how do you think your big manly V8 would fare? Gettin' really tired of this.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Lol...yes it's just a V6. So's this..how do you think your big manly V8 would fare? Gettin' really tired of this.

You shouldnt be allowed to have a camaro for comparing a mass produced v8 car to a $90k twin turbo v6.

Really, sell your car, or Ill sell mine just because of how _______ that statement actually is.

I was being honest with the guy. Performance mods are more or less a waste of money for v6 camaros. They hardly get out of their own way in v8 form stock.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Oh geez. Please everyone just ignore his statements and lets just help out the OP.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
You shouldnt be allowed to have a camaro for comparing a mass produced v8 car to a $90k twin turbo v6.

Really, sell your car, or Ill sell mine just because of how _______ that statement actually is.

I was being honest with the guy. Performance mods are more or less a waste of money for v6 camaros. They hardly get out of their own way in v8 form stock.
Lol. The new V6 FACT guy.................
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:

Must resist.... must not take the bait....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Must resist.... must not take the bait....
I'll do the honors this time, Scrming. I normally don't say anything. But seriously... Who voluntarily comes into the V6 forum and hates on V6 owners for doing what they want to do to their cars? What's the point of that?

OP, do what you want to do with your car. I changed the bowties, added a dash plaque, changed the interior trim kit, added Injen CAI, added Flowmaster AMT exhaust, and added DT headers. Look at my garage. I am very happy with the performance and the look of my car. I might even put some leather seats in there next year.

Look... Have fun. It's your car. Don't listen to the V8 guys who have no idea why we bought such a slow car that has around 330 HP and does a 0-60 in under 6 seconds, which has more power and is faster than my previous two V8s.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:

Sounds good, I'm not selling mine so why don't you sell yours and get the ____ out of the forums. V8 troll.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Im not hating on v6 cars. The guy asked a question and I gave him the same advice I would follow myself. I have a 3.6 DI CTS...Im not going to waste my time with $$$ performance mods. I might do a CAI. I would spend most of my money on show and not go. He also said for cheap. Dont forget that.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Well imo, usually if you never modded, and you want to mod, you start cheap. So yes, OP wants cheap now. That's how I began, but I'm starting to build up lol.

Also, having a V6, and modding a V6, is a V6 thing. We aren't comparing to the V8s. It's our own little league here... I compare my car with other V6 cars, most of my friends have V6, or similar to equal power cars as the Camaro V6. STI, EVOX, GTI, 350z, 370z, Mustang GT (older gen), BMW 3series. It's all fun here. I can afford the V8, i just want the V6. I've done only CAI and Catback right now, but I plan on going full suspension in 2011. Coilovers, suspension bushings, sways, strut tower, new wheels and rims. Then later on, headers and a tune. =) When and if there is a SC option or TT option, i'll go FI.

Oh right, OP, if you want cheap and power, get the Injen CAI. 300 dollars, easy as pie to install. Good gains, good sound, good looks. Triple threat =D

In my opinion, i wouldn't just stop at CAI. You must eventually get an exhaust system to go with it. The stock airbox and exhaust are so quiet. And when you get a new intake, your front end sounds too loud. YOu need the exhaust to give you the surround sound effect! =D
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
TJacobs41

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Well imo, usually if you never modded, and you want to mod, you start cheap. So yes, OP wants cheap now. That's how I began, but I'm starting to build up lol.

Also, having a V6, and modding a V6, is a V6 thing. We aren't comparing to the V8s. It's our own little league here... I compare my car with other V6 cars, most of my friends have V6, or similar to equal power cars as the Camaro V6. STI, EVOX, GTI, 350z, 370z, Mustang GT (older gen), BMW 3series. It's all fun here. I can afford the V8, i just want the V6. I've done only CAI and Catback right now, but I plan on going full suspension in 2011. Coilovers, suspension bushings, sways, strut tower, new wheels and rims. Then later on, headers and a tune. =) When and if there is a SC option or TT option, i'll go FI.

Oh right, OP, if you want cheap and power, get the Injen CAI. 300 dollars, easy as pie to install. Good gains, good sound, good looks. Triple threat =D

In my opinion, i wouldn't just stop at CAI. You must eventually get an exhaust system to go with it. The stock airbox and exhaust are so quiet. And when you get a new intake, your front end sounds too loud. YOu need the exhaust to give you the surround sound effect! =D
That CAI seems like a great addition.
I know exhausts can get kind of expensive... are there any good ones for low prices? how do you install a new exhaust anyway?
TJacobs41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
i say do what you want nomatter the size its how you use it

check mine out
mostly cosmetic
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote