Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #43
Slvr1SSA6

Drives: 2010 1SS A6---1968 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
i agree, someting is not right here,, with the miles he has on the car it sould have reset,, and i think he did a battery disconnect for 20 min,, that is plenty of time for the fuel trims to reset

i think there is some smoke and mirrors going on here,, all of a sudden the car is running 2 sec faster 0-60 than before, and it is running faster than there test car?? and all they did was reset the ecm, i dont think so!
I dont see it either.................................
512 CI BBC producing 653 RWHP @ 6400 RPM
Slvr1SSA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #44
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Great news on your car!! I just hope that if you ever have to fill up with 87 again for whatever reason, you don't get all sllloowww again. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdodge View Post
yes I do....my only question is if you shouldn't turn it off in the L99 because of oil and stuff and possible losing control when launching...then would it be the same in the LS3 or any car?
I thought there were three modes with the L99 just not having launch control for comp mode.

1. push button once - traction control off with stabilitrak completely active
2. push button twice - comp mode - trac control off and stabilitrak in a mode where it will let you get a little sideways before bringing the car back in line
3. push button and hold for seven seconds - All off, nothing to save you if you lose it.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 AM   #45
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I suspected it may be a timing or fuel /air mixture issue. I thought it was probably a sensor somewhere that was sending bad info to the computer. Could still be. Let's see if it stays strong or gets weak again all of a sudden. Many of the old LT1 motor guys installed LT4 knock modules in them because they felt the stock LT1 module was too sensitive and would retard the timing too much or when it wasn't needed. Retarded timing will sure make a moter feel sluggish!!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #46
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
i agree, someting is not right here,, with the miles he has on the car it sould have reset,, and i think he did a battery disconnect for 20 min,, that is plenty of time for the fuel trims to reset

how does the car launch now, any car with a 400hp engine should be able to roast the tires easy from a stop

i think there is some smoke and mirrors going on here,, all of a sudden the car is running 2 sec faster 0-60 than before, and it is running faster than there test car?? and all they did was reset the ecm, i dont think so!, as i have said before if gm isnt going to admit any problems.

Anyways, glad top see at least Scott with a faster Camaro L99. PQ, you're next
Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 AM   #47
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
I realize different engines but do all ECM's learn based on octane used and could they perform better and relearn under higher octane? That was the question...
what engine do you have??
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 AM   #48
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Guys they had to go in and fix the setting. The did not say the reset the entire computer. There is a chance my ECM is not learning. Did you not read they are taking all the data back to GM and going to go over it more with more engineers. But having your timing retarded is going to make a big HP difference.

They did really explain alot to me about the tires also. The tires they put on this car are designed to stick. We talked alot about outside temps and what real road temp is under those conditions and the tires they decided to put on the car. The entire design of the car is to stick and go. Spinning your tires means you are not moving. I brought up my old 79 6.6 Trans AM days and how it blow out the tires. They pointed out wieght difference in the car and tire tech has really changed since then. The said if I want to smoke them all day go put a set of all season tires on them and watch the fireworks.

And they also said some of car speed 0-60 is in the mind. I mean screaching tires make you think you are going fast. But the Camaro was designed with the tires it has not to screach but go.

Ok I drove the cars, I saw the run results. We used GPS trackinging info to get these times. Also these GPS they use are like 20 thousand each and basically the same tech used to put a cruise missle into a window. Pretty dang accurate and the same thing the magazines used to get their times.

I do not think GM is trying to playing any games. I was even impressed and so was one of the engineers because Al Oppenheiser called and wanted to know what we are finding. He told me when the head guy calls alot of folks are wanting to know whats up.

Like I said as I know more I will report. Just giving you what I know. I do not know if they updated anything else on the car. Oh they did update my radio for me.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #49
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
scott you should find someone local to you with hptuners and have them read your ecm and post up your file in the diag/tuning section so we can see if the file has been changed from stock
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #50
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Well he said the car they had ran 5.4 and 5.5 and his ran .2 to .3 faster than thiers. So that should put his runing in the 5.2 to 5.3 range. about a half second or so loss from the elements.
Interesting, that jives almost exactly with what I've seen on mine most runs this summer. Good to know those of us with 'good' L99s (yes, now that the circumstances are known the quotes are deserved) aren't crazy.

It also puts to bed the notion of the iPhone being wildly inaccurate...measure with confidence (safely)!

Well, I'm happy to hear that the problem is at least isolated...but it does bring up more questions about what affected people can do to fix it. I do sense updated software for the L99 coming in, chances are there's a bug in there with learning the fuel type.

It does HANDILY explain why some of us have had good L99s out of the gate, and others have had to deal with sluggish ones.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #51
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Guys they had to go in and fix the setting. The did not say the reset the entire computer. There is a chance my ECM is not learning. Did you not read they are taking all the data back to GM and going to go over it more with more engineers. But having your timing retarded is going to make a big HP difference.

They did really explain alot to me about the tires also. The tires they put on this car are designed to stick. We talked alot about outside temps and what real road temp is under those conditions and the tires they decided to put on the car. The entire design of the car is to stick and go. Spinning your tires means you are not moving. I brought up my old 79 6.6 Trans AM days and how it blow out the tires. They pointed out wieght difference in the car and tire tech has really changed since then. The said if I want to smoke them all day go put a set of all season tires on them and watch the fireworks.

And they also said some of car speed 0-60 is in the mind. I mean screaching tires make you think you are going fast. But the Camaro was designed with the tires it has not to screach but go.

Ok I drove the cars, I saw the run results. We used GPS trackinging info to get these times. Also these GPS they use are like 20 thousand each and basically the same tech used to put a cruise missle into a window. Pretty dang accurate and the same thing the magazines used to get their times.

I do not think GM is trying to playing any games. I was even impressed and so was one of the engineers because Al Oppenheiser called and wanted to know what we are finding. He told me when the head guy calls alot of folks are wanting to know whats up.

Like I said as I know more I will report. Just giving you what I know. I do not know if they updated anything else on the car. Oh they did update my radio for me.

Umm what did they change with your radio? Because we all know the tunes are the most important thing in a car. :-)
Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #52
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipGear View Post
Scott -

So how does anyone else get thier slow L99 fixed?

What happens if you are unable to find 93 octane? Will the computer let your motor knock like crazy?

Did you press the brake pedal with the battery disconnected? I've read and been told to do this when trying to reset an ECU, but it may just be a myth.

This sounds like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. I hope the GM engineers will figure out why the computer is not "learning" the octane being used and issue an actual fix. I'm still trying to hold out on making the purchase until this issue is properly addressed, but it is very hard.

Ok guys do not go running to your dealers saying you have a slow car. Several things have to happen. First they have alot of data to study on my car. Second they have to see if they can simulate what my car did with one of their cars. In talking to them my ECM could of just been real slow at learning or we could have even a gas issue in Eufaula . Meaning how often is the 93 octane getting refilled. If iit gets filled only once a month since allot of cars do not use it then the octane levels could lower.

Once again, there is no reason to go running to your dealers. GM is aware of the issue with my car and need to see if they can make their cars have the issue. There is nothing the dealer can do unless GM comes out with a fix.

The issue is also alot of L99's are running great. So DO NOT GO RUNNING to the dealer. There is no fix at the moment. If and when there is one GM will let us know. Also how do you know you car running slow? Been beat by cars that should not beat you?

Guys by telling you this info and keeping you informed I do not want to open a can of worms. We have to be smart and play this out. My car was for sure slow and I only know of 2 others that have been proven slow that got beat badly buy cars they should not of.

Lets wait and see what GM comes up with.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #53
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
Umm what did they change with your radio? Because we all know the tunes are the most important thing in a car. :-)
There is a thread around here somewhere about it. My car is a day 2 car so it did not get the update. My understanding is most the cars have the update already so it is not a big deal and it did not do anything to fix what I was hoping it would. I have a Creative Zen X-FI and it will not work with the USB port. But it is not on the compatable list.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #54
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
There is a thread around here somewhere about it. My car is a day 2 car so it did not get the update. My understanding is most the cars have the update already so it is not a big deal and it did not do anything to fix what I was hoping it would. I have a Creative Zen X-FI and it will not work with the USB port. But it is not on the compatable list.

Ah cool thanks for responding.....I thought I might have made XM free or something
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #55
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
.2 sec is what I figured. This from the guys who tested this stuff. I knew it would not be more than that.
That's a lot in my book.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #56
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
I brought up my old 79 6.6 Trans AM days and how it blow out the tires. They pointed out wieght difference in the car and tire tech has really changed since then. The said if I want to smoke them all day go put a set of all season tires on them and watch the fireworks.

That was a real feat to bark the hides in a Trans Am 6.6. I remember, as I had one, what a beautiful car............but all of 220 hp

My 82 Z28 with the 5.0 Cross Fire was a mountain moving 165 hp.

What turds both of them were, but they were lookers for sure. We have come a long way since then
cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote