Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
????????

Drives: Cobra
GtvsCamarovsEvo

First post.. I have having a hard time deciding on which one to buy could someone please tell me the pros and cons of each one
???????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
What?
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Check the link out below and select the trim level you want then follow the steps to do a comparision...

Edmunds vehicle comparisons
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
I can answer this easily enough for you...

Mustang GT...Underpowered, dated design, archaic suspensions system, basically if you buy the GT everyone will make you their bitch, at stoplights, through corners, carshows, etc.

EVO...Comes with a free 5 pound bag of rice, garbage can sized muffler and top fuel wing. Basically, although it is a quick car, you will come off as a high school fast and the furious wanna be!

5th Gen Camaro...Classic styling, big power whether it be the v8 or v6, good gas mileage, high quality interior, state of the art independent suspension, Instant Panty Dropper, basically you will get all the ooohs and aaaaahs while cruising, kick the guy's ass in the Mustang GT or Envos at the stoplight, and then take his Girlfriend home.

Seems like a nobrainer...but it could just be me???
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
matt55

Drives: CTS-V

Just b/c a car is not built in Canada and R/D in Australia it got to be a pos "rice" huh ?

GT (Mustang?)
Quick , very popular , V8 rwd , old motor , old platform , alot of after market , pony car

Camaro (SS)
Quick'er , very good looking (IMHO best of the 3) , after market will have a lot soon , LS3 ! , IRS , pony car

EVO (X)
Quick , not as good looking , 4dr 5 seater , High Maintenance (tires brakes oil clutch gas) , Very mod-able (60-100 HP gain from a flash and MBC) , tops in the truns , not as cool to Chevy guys and apparently ricey
Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post

Just b/c a car is not built in Canada and R/D in Australia it got to be a pos "rice" huh ?

:
no the fact its an evo makes it rice. and then their is that whole exhaust sound thing but we wont get in to that.
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylepo View Post
no the fact its an evo makes it rice. and then their is that whole exhaust sound thing but we wont get in to that.

Stock evo's are quite and dont have a big CAN muffler , nor do any other stock "rice" cars that I know of .
EVO X

EVO 8-9

My 3" turbo back(2 mufflers and 1 resanator) sounds nothing like a Honda with a fart can on it .

If it did I would shoot my car , I h8 how they sound .
Old 01-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
In my opinion it's more that it's a JAPANESE made car for the purpose of tuning/racing/etc. Hence, it is a ricer's car.

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
In my opinion it's more that it's a JAPANESE made car for the purpose of tuning/racing/etc. Hence, it is a ricer's car.
exactly. and in his pictures he showed the big ol wing. ok they may sound quiet from the factory but how many on the road sound quiet? its rice because it made by mitsubishi
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
T! E! X! A! S!

Drives: No car
The Lancer is a "ricer" it is slow and looks fast. The Evo is not a ricer it's fast and "looks fast" there is a difference beetween tuner and ricer.
Here is a ricer.. And a tuner
Attached Images

T! E! X! A! S! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:

GT (Mustang?)
Quick , very popular , V8 rwd , old motor , old platform , alot of after market , pony car

Camaro (SS)
Quick'er , very good looking (IMHO best of the 3) , after market will have a lot soon , LS3 ! , IRS , pony car

EVO (X)
Quick , not as good looking , 4dr 5 seater , High Maintenance (tires brakes oil clutch gas) , Very mod-able (60-100 HP gain from a flash and MBC) , tops in the truns , not as cool to Chevy guys and apparently ricey
I think that's an accurate enough comparison. Add to the Mustang that it has a substantial weight advantage, but it also has a substantial horsepower deficit. The Camaro is the hands-down pony car winner when comparing these two. If you're considering these two cars, you should also get a review of the Challenger, which is overweight yet fast. The Camaro is still faster. The new Lancer style looks very good, so a new Evo is much more attractive than an old one.

Overall, the bias on this forum will favor the Camaro. That is not unwarranted. The Camaro has a classy shape, impressive performance, and a strong following.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Matt has it right. I didn't know the evo was super high maintenance though, but it's a good bit of info.

I'm very shocked at you fanboys thinking that just because a car is japanese that it's a ricer. Do you guys that think that have mullets? Are you inbred? You like muscle cars and are close minded to anything aside from displacement so it's the stereotype that is associated with that mentality...
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If I may add, the Mitsubishi EVO and the Subaru WRX both have VERY sophisticated AWD set ups. There is a reason that the Nissan GTR is so vicously fast with not much more HP than the the SS will be putting out and nearly the same weight. AWD. It gets the power down for awesome acceleration.

Most of the cars I see with the go faster wing and exhaust package DON"T have the 300 HP AWD cars to go with them. But not all..........

Which should not diminish any of the previous comments. The Camaro SS will be superior to the Mustang GT on most every count. So do you want Hi Torque or Hi Revs to get your fun? Most folks on this site would probably agree that a nice 6.2L naturally aspirated motor will do just fine, thank you very much.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Quote:

GT (Mustang?)

Camaro (SS)

EVO (X)
+1 on the maintenance.

Quote:
So tired of hearing this... I absolutely HATE the term "ricer". I owned nothing but american for the first 20 years I could drive, still have them both now. I bought my Evo so I could get a car seat in and out easily, and not drive a minivan. My car is loud under full throttle, and does not sound any worse than the guy with the aftermarket cherry bombs on his Silverado.

I actually started with the same attitude as you did toward Japanese cars... until I drove one. My Evo is an amazing car, if I could keep it AND get the Camaro I would.

I would be more than willing to put you up for a night, if you would like to come down here for a weekend so I could scare the crap out of you in the Evo.

I know where you are coming from, but at some point even die-hard muscle car enthusiasts have to respect what some of the so-called "ricers" bring to the table... you might be surprised.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote