Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Captain Canada

Drives: 15 Wrangler Rubicon, soon 16 2SS
Non-MRC

To any of you SS guys without MRC what do you think of it. Hows the ride quality, how's the performance? Just curious because my local dealer a Hyper Blue 2SS, M6, White Pearl Rally Stripes, NPP, and Sunroof. Beautiful car. Anyways I'm just wondering about the non-MRC suspension. Thank you
Captain Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
ParkerAS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
I don't own a 16 yet, but I've test driven 2 without MRC. What I can say is if you've never had MRC, you won't miss it. They drive very nice, very similar to the 5th gen. I will not be buying MRC on my 16 SS simply because I enjoy it plenty without it.
ParkerAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
Jason29

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I have owned a 2014 z51 stingray without MRC and a 2015 z51 with MRC. I really couldn't tell a big difference between the two. My 2016 SS doesn't have it and the car drives significantly better than my last gen 5 ZL1 Camaro, so the MRC won't be missed. Not to say it doesn't add value, as it is a technological marvel, but unless you intend to do a ton of canyon carving, you probably won't miss it. If you can find a 2016 with it, would be worth test driving to test it out to end any second guessing though.
Jason29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Captain Canada

Drives: 15 Wrangler Rubicon, soon 16 2SS
The car will be here 2nd week of January. It's gonna be mine I've decided
Captain Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
You won't lose a minute's sleep over it and when the MRC guys start having to shell out big bucks to fix them, you'll be even happier.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
You won't lose a minute's sleep over it and when the MRC guys start having to shell out big bucks to fix them, you'll be even happier.
Yeah because the MRC is so prone to failure and has so many reliability issues. Stop spewing BS.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
There has been multiple threads related to this topic.

MRC, doesn't add anything to the handling equation unless the road is bumpy. The best skid pad and slalom numbers tested so far have come from a car without MRC. Plus, if you are looking to track your car, the standard suspension will allow for further upgrades like coilovers. Personally, I wouldn't bother with MRC unless you drive on lots of bumpy roads, or take long trips. As the main benefit of having MRC is a cushy ride.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
ScratchAce

Drives: 2SS - Hyper Blue/Ceramic White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post

MRC, doesn't add anything to the handling equation unless the road is bumpy. The best skid pad and slalom numbers tested so far have come from a car without MRC. Plus, if you are looking to track your car, the standard suspension will allow for further upgrades like coilovers. Personally, I wouldn't bother with MRC unless you drive on lots of bumpy roads, or take long trips. As the main benefit of having MRC is a cushy ride.
Interesting...I know Ferrari is using this technology now. I don't know a lot about it, but can't believe a manufacturer with a racing reputation would add it if it wasn't proven.

ScratchAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:

The main benefit is being able to adjust it for different scenarios, just like a good coilovers. The MRC can be cushy or be set for a stiffer ride.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #10
Markm44

Drives: None
Both of our camaros are non mrc and they ride very nicely
Smooth to me and way better feeling than the 13 SS we had.
Markm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:42 AM   #11
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchAce View Post
Interesting...I know Ferrari is using this technology now. I don't know a lot about it, but can't believe a manufacturer with a racing reputation would add it if it wasn't proven.
The holy grail of adjustable suspension is to be able to take a car and in one made have it drive like a race car while in another mode drive like a luxury car. Road cars even ones with a prancing horse on it are first and foremost a road car, having MRC allows for example a Ferrari to drive like a race car on a race track however improves usability on normal roads.

Based purely on early reviews the generation 6 Camaro SS handles perfectly fine without MRC, however is probably a bit on the harsh side (the run flats probably contribute a bit to this), so the big benefit for the Camaro to have MRC isn't with sporty driving but with the ability to make the car ride soft. This really becomes subjective as some people are fine with driving a race car on the streets for example while others would just rather not. It is a lot like the automatic vs manual, some people don't mind driving a manual transmission car in traffic while for others it kills it for them.

For me I have to consider what I would want to do and how I would want to use a gen 6. If I were to keep the car stock and want to enjoy it as is I probably would opt for a 2SS with MRC, NPP, sun roof. If I were to modify the car then I would probably order a 1SS with no options on it......
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:22 AM   #12
chrismarvin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have MRC and I'll be honest, It didn't make the difference i thought it would. now, I say that but I have yet to drive one without it. I'm guessing because its a the car that it is its going to be stiffer than something like my dads car I've driven (Audi A4). I guess I just though it would be like coasting down a bumpy road but not feeling any of the bumps? We know thats not very realistic though.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #13
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:

Do you have a link to the slalom comparison?

Shocks are put to the test on a road course or slalom, not skid pad. I'd be surprised if MRC shocks don't offer a performance benefit over the standard twin tube design. That is good that even the standard suspension has had good reviews - I'm leaning towards non-MRC at the moment.

I'd love to see a back to back test with both setups including lap times and racer's feedback on the difference in body control.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
I'll enjoy replacing my non mrc shocks when the time comes without having to take out a loan to do it.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote