Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
Just to add on a little...getting the suspension dialed in and properly strengthened BEFORE adding any additional power adders gives the driver the time to "learn" the car..if you don't understand that..well...and I freely admit my 'learnin" curve has been HUGE...and FUN..not wastin time and money=frustration....actually DRIVE to the track..have a freakin blast...and then DRIVE home(sorry 10 min from the drag strip...)..even drove to 'cfest and back this year....just throwin a whole bunch of power on it doesn't always make you faster...

so good on you for exercising a little restraint and every 10th improvement is worth the time and effort....good luck!
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH H/F Catted Mids - Doug Thorley axle back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 push-rods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - Prothane motor mounts - Prothane rear sub-frame inserts - BMR Trailing Arms & bushings - 1LE 3.91's - 1LE axles - Ford S-spring posi mod - tune by RDP dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block - Daily Driver - 115K!---12.7 at 112 - 1.9 60'--- BFG Comp-2 Street Tire-stock size on ZL1 reps(20x8.5)(20x9.5)---DR's Nitto NT05R(305/45) on Motegi MT120 18x9.5---12.6 at 111 - 1.8 60'
All work by me...
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #16
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Just to add on a little...getting the suspension dialed in and properly strengthened BEFORE adding any additional power adders gives the driver the time to "learn" the car..if you don't understand that..well...and I freely admit my 'learnin" curve has been HUGE...and FUN..not wastin time and money=frustration....actually DRIVE to the track..have a freakin blast...and then DRIVE home(sorry 10 min from the drag strip...)..even drove to 'cfest and back this year....just throwin a whole bunch of power on it doesn't always make you faster...

so good on you for exercising a little restraint and every 10th improvement is worth the time and effort....good luck!
Oh, I'm sure I'll have some leaning curve with the TC/Suspension. Just as I did with the Drag Radials. That's what for me makes the experience competitive. Improving my performance and analyzing my weaknesses.

Meeting new people, making friends, and having fun make the experience somewhat addictive!

I met a gentleman on my last trip who has a 2016 Camaro SS, after getting acquainted for 20 minutes or so, he told me he had made 1 pass and his car spun so badly down the track he ran a 10.

He didn't have DR's but had Nitto 555G2 summer tires. 40 psi.
I aired them down to 20 and he ran 7.86. Being so new to drag racing as I am, and being able to help someone else was really cool!

While waiting to make my last pass in line, (they were spraying more fly paper on the track), I ended up beside a 5 second Mustang and had a few laughs with the driver. I told him I was new and trying not to do anything dumb, and he told me how he first came here @ 16 years old and ran a pickup truck, putting the rear wheels on the staging beams.

He was running Pro Tree, so I let him run alone, I haven't cut better then a .23 on the sportsman yet, so I have no business trying a PT.

Turns out he made me $20. A Honda pulled beside me, and I had seen him make 3 passes, none better then 8.6. When I was backing into the waterbox to burnout, this guy standing there says to me "I got 20 on the Honda". I made my best pass ever at 8.25, and won easily.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat. Tuned via SCTX4 by Dynosteve at RDP.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 09-13-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS 6M
so true...I got tons of info at the 'fest, all you have to do is go up and introduce yourself and have a conversation..and as a result...in go the 3.91's once the last part shows up hopefully tomorrow..I want to get some street time on the gears before my next trip...
2010 SS 2SS M6 - Spectre CAI - JET TBS - JBA Shorty Headers - ARH H/F Catted Mids - Doug Thorley axle back - MSD 12v coil harness mod - PAC 1218's - BTR 3/8 7.4 push-rods - Powell Machine bronze rocker bushings - Prothane motor mounts - Prothane rear sub-frame inserts - BMR Trailing Arms & bushings - 1LE 3.91's - 1LE axles - Ford S-spring posi mod - tune by RDP dynoSteve!(Woot) - LS9 block - Daily Driver - 115K!---12.7 at 112 - 1.9 60'--- BFG Comp-2 Street Tire-stock size on ZL1 reps(20x8.5)(20x9.5)---DR's Nitto NT05R(305/45) on Motegi MT120 18x9.5---12.6 at 111 - 1.8 60'
All work by me...
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote