Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
rackmaster

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Summit White,
Exhaust Question Why do we need X or Y pipes

OK, I would really like to know, I have a Borla S Exhaust, I've cut out the resonators and just ran straight pipes down each side with no X or H pipe. I understand the X & H pipes help balance out the motor and pressure. Is it really that big a deal. For years everyone just ran cherry bomb's off there headers or side pipes. People that race cars don't have any X or H pipes. SO how does this benifit your car ? and if you say it does, Then that would mean the Race cars are loosing power ? I just don't get it. Can someone explain it to me. Sorry I ment H pipes in the title, I can't seem to edit that

Last edited by rackmaster; 03-12-2011 at 02:01 PM.
rackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackmaster View Post
OK, I would really like to know, I have a Borla S Exhaust, I've cut out the resonators and just ran straight pipes down each side with no X or H pipe. I understand the X & H pipes help balance out the motor and pressure. Is it really that big a deal. For years everyone just ran cherry bomb's off there headers or side pipes. People that race cars don't have any X or H pipes. SO how does this benifit your car ? and if you say it does, Then that would mean the Race cars are loosing power ? I just don't get it. Can someone explain it to me. Sorry I ment H pipes in the title, I can't seem to edit that
In theory along with balancing out the exhaust x-pipes are "supposed" to increase scavanging, which in turn produces more horespower, does it in reality, yes, is it measureable on these cars, I'm not sure, someone would have to dyno various combination with or without one to see but there are so many exhaust combinations it would be a very time consuming and costly endeavor. I have an x-pipe on mine, my main reason for doing it was that I had a problem with my resonator, after looking at the exhaust I felt an x-pipe might give some gains over running straight pipes in that area but felt it would also make the exhaust system a bit more secure and less prone to vibrating and or movement. Perhaps not the most influencial reason but that was my thought.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote