Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #99
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
TPiS 102 TB

I got my TPiS in this week and installed today...not noticing much difference, but have some tune issues to work out.

The Cold Air inductions rubber elbow for the Whipple is stretched to its limit to fit. I'm wondering if that is still restricting the air flow...

Attached Images

Last edited by PMJ; 07-04-2013 at 01:08 PM.
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #100
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Hollowed Cats

I hollowed out my cats this morning...another PITA job. I thought it would be 15 min or so per cat...took closer to 1 1/2 hours each...another bushing type job.

For some reason I for got to take an after pic, but they essentially look nice and clean in the middle.

Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #101
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

My Water Pump woes continue

I was all excited to go see Patrick G in Victoria today to hopefully correct my lean tip in as I shift gears, but I didn't make it out of the drive way.

The shaft on my water pump snapped . The good news is I was still in my drive way, and not half way to Victoria (2 1/2 hr trip)...always a silver lining.

Unfortunately this is the 2nd time my water pump pulley has fallen off since I upgraded to the 10-rib kit. I'm clearly not competent in water pump pulleys. You are supposed to remove the original pressed on pulley that is not intended to be removed. Then press on the new pulley. I thought I had it right the first time (on my second pump...I destroyed the first pump trying to press on the pulley). About a month later it fell off. .

Bound and determined to not let that happen again, I asked my friend for some ideas and we decided to drill a hole in the shaft, tap it and bold the pulley on...sounded like a good idea, but kept breaking taps...so we decided to pin the pulley (drilling straight through the side). In hind site, drilling out the shaft to tap it clearly messed with the integrity...I wish we had thought to pin it first...I think it would have held. As is it lasted around 2 months including a trip to the track and many daily driver miles.

Mike at Whipple also offered to install it is I sent him the pump and pulley...I think I'm going to take him up on that this time. But because I'm impatient. I'm also going to order an electric water pump...the idler pulley it comes with is plenty big for 10 rib, and supposed to add another 10-15hp .

Meziere Electric Water Pump in the mail.

Attached Images

Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #102
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Trailer

I bought a trailer so when I get my bogarts I'll be ready to go back and forth to the track... I'd include pictures w/my car, but I'm still waiting on my water pump . I hate not driving my car...

The fenders are not removable, but they measure 9" higher than the deck and it looks like my doors have 10" clearance, but it does drop closer to the hinges. This is with my street tires, so I'm hoping for the same clearance with the slicks and skinnies...we'll see.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #103
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Nice looking trailer!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #104
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Nice looking trailer!!
Thanks! I was hoping to w/the trailer i'd make it to Camaro5 fest, but my car isn't going to be ready.

-Pat
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #105
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Have I mentioned how much I hate water pumps!

Got my Meziere electric water pump in the mail today...excited to get my car back on the road...only to find out, I'm pretty sure it doesn't fit. I started another thread, but appears the whipple vacuum actuator for the bypass valve prevents it from going into place.

Water pumps suck!
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #106
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

I found out Whipple makes an offset bypass valve bracket to allow the Meziere electric pump to fit (costs $250). Unfortunately I found out late and already returned the pump. Maybe a 2nd time future upgrade.

I attached pictures of my 4th try with the water pump. This time I had a machine shop tap a hole in each side of the pulley slightly into the shaft. Then they put in a set screw and that's that...hopefully this is a good fix and my pulley doesn't fall off again!

So the great news is my car is running again! And my Bogarts showed up today! I'll have my tires mounted this weekend and then all I need is a tune and maybe install my RX Chiller and I should be set to get into the 10s!!!

Attached Images

Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #107
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

I had my slicks and skinnies mounted on my new bogarts today! Unfortunately discovered one of the rear bogarts were damaged in shipping (dent on the front rim). Talked to Rich and he is going to get it fixed, but if they can't fix the rim, I'll have to wait 2 more months before they get another rim built.

On a brighter note, I have a tuning apt w/Patrick G tomorrow evening. Road trip to Victoria! I'm excited about that. Expecting to fix my lean tip in and some of my idle issues. Hope the water pump stays together.

Also, Blake (Whipped416) talked me into a smaller pulley, so I installed a 2.875" today...love it! Seeing 17# of boost now. Can't wait to see numbers tomorrow!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #108
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
I had my slicks and skinnies mounted on my new bogarts today! Unfortunately discovered one of the rear bogarts were damaged in shipping (dent on the front rim). Talked to Rich and he is going to get it fixed, but if they can't fix the rim, I'll have to wait 2 more months before they get another rim built.

On a brighter note, I have a tuning apt w/Patrick G tomorrow evening. Road trip to Victoria! I'm excited about that. Expecting to fix my lean tip in and some of my idle issues. Hope the water pump stays together.

Also, Blake (Whipped416) talked me into a smaller pulley, so I installed a 2.875" today...love it! Seeing 17# of boost now. Can't wait to see numbers tomorrow!
Just so you know you can straighten the Bogarts yourself. You don't need to send it back to Rich. I've seen Ups deliver square wheels to Ted that they just straighten out and use.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #109
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Just so you know you can straighten the Bogarts yourself. You don't need to send it back to Rich. I've seen Ups deliver square wheels to Ted that they just straighten out and use.
Thanks Jamie! I'll try that first.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #110
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Patrick G Tune

I made it to Victory for tuning, unfortunately my water pump failed yet again...that's another story. I did find out Ligenfelter sells a GM water pump w/10 rib pulley for $650...well worth it!

Anyway, had to revert back to stock throttle body...turns out I need an additional piece from Whipple before the TPiS will function correctly. So potentially still some power left on the table.

2 dyno sheets from Mustang Dyno. One w/straight 93 octane and the other has 50/50 93 & Shell URT 105. (I can't wait until I can get URT Advanced again...)

Unfortunately car is out of commission once again due to water pump.

I'm expecting another bump with the TPiS properly installed. Also I need to get my super chiller installed...that will help as well. I'm getting lots of mixed reviews, but a few I know that have it, love it...my IATs are outrageous, so hoping it works some magic for me. Then I'll re-dyno at my local shop to get a true comparison of improvements.

Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #111
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

My water pump is on the way from Whipple along with the 102mm TB adapter...I couldn't help myself...a 2.75" pulley is also coming...now I'll really be maxed out... (short of nos)

Man, sooner or later I've got to make it back out to the track...time to stop modding and start driving ...(or should I say learning how to drive).
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #112
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Ready to race!

I think I'm finally ready to race. I've been struggling with my RX Supper chiller install for number of weeks now. But I have gotten pretty efficient at evac'ing and recharging my own AC system . I don't think the RX chiller can handle my heat, they are supposed to send me a larger chiller unit next week (we'll see). Right not my coolant is around 75-80*, but my IATs still run around 150 (down from about 165).

Somewhere along the line, but car has started to eat my 10 rib belts. It was either after I install my water pump from Whipple and my 2.75" pulley. Ripped 1 in half a few weeks back and did some damage to my hood liner. I rerouted the belt slightly and when I checked today, I noticed I was running a 9 rib belt (pretty sure it had 10 ribs when I installed it) .

I did resolve my KR on quick shifts. I had to slow down the throttle opening rate from 100% down to 2%...hmm...but it seems to do the trick...no more knocking.

My bogarts are all mounted and ready to go...I installed a tire rack in the garage today for storage (sorry for bad pic).
Name:  tirerack.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  123.9 KB

Only things I have left are
  • maybe hex vents
  • bigger chiller
  • figure out what is eating my 10 rib belts...
I tried to dyno last Friday, but at 108* in the shop, it was a disaster (813 whp...was expecting closer to 850). I'll schedule another day when it gets down to the 80s.

Next track day is scheduled for 9/14...hope I don't break anything before I get there