Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
NEED HELP! BRAKE PAD PROBLEM!!

So I recently changed the brake pads on my 2011 1LT to Wagner Thermaquiet Ceramic brake pads, the pads have done wonders for preventing brake dust but I have one major issue. My passenger side brake pad is not fully contacting the rotor on the outside, a nice 1 inch rust ring has now developed on the rotor, I have done everything I can think of but just can't get full contact there. There is no issue as far as braking goes, no pull to the drivers side, and stopping power does not seem to be affected. However today I had the wife pump the brakes after applying more anti-seize lube and I noticed there is some slight play in the caliper every time she pumped the brakes, very minimal but I can see the caliper moving, this is only happening on the passenger side. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to fix this because I have exhausted everything I know.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Big Sarge,

If you havn't already, double check the caliper mounting bolts and make sure they are secure. If they are, the only thing I can think of that would make the calper move would be one of the pads on that corner is the wrong thickness or was ground down at and angle when it was produced. The movement would be from the caliper and spindle flexing.

Let us know what you find out!
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
How many miles are on the caliper?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I experienced a similar problem with the pads on mind,I was getting this rust spot about 1" in from the edge of the Rotor,I cleaned it several times and it would reappear.I wasn't touching in that one area.My pads were factory since I bought it.
I checked out if their was a recall or TSB out on the brakes,low and behold there was one on the brake pads.
I took to the dealer they replaced them under the TSB procedure and have worked fine since.The mechanic told me he had never seen pads in that condition with so little mileage on them for instance 3000kms.He told me the pads were of very poor quality and that's why GM came out with the TSB.
Your new pads might be defective.if it isn't fully touching the rotor when brake is applied something is out of whack, I can't see the pad pressing against the rotor and not touching on 1" of the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usranger80 View Post
So I recently changed the brake pads on my 2011 1LT to Wagner Thermaquiet Ceramic brake pads, the pads have done wonders for preventing brake dust but I have one major issue. My passenger side brake pad is not fully contacting the rotor on the outside, a nice 1 inch rust ring has now developed on the rotor, I have done everything I can think of but just can't get full contact there. There is no issue as far as braking goes, no pull to the drivers side, and stopping power does not seem to be affected. However today I had the wife pump the brakes after applying more anti-seize lube and I noticed there is some slight play in the caliper every time she pumped the brakes, very minimal but I can see the caliper moving, this is only happening on the passenger side. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to fix this because I have exhausted everything I know.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
I experienced a similar problem with the pads on mind,I was getting this rust spot about 1" in from the edge of the Rotor,I cleaned it several times and it would reappear.I wasn't touching in that one area.My pads were factory since I bought it.
I checked out if their was a recall or TSB out on the brakes,low and behold there was one on the brake pads.
I took to the dealer they replaced them under the TSB procedure and have worked fine since.The mechanic told me he had never seen pads in that condition with so little mileage on them for instance 3000kms.He told me the pads were of very poor quality and that's why GM came out with the TSB.
Your new pads might be defective.if it isn't fully touching the rotor when brake is applied something is out of whack, I can't see the pad pressing against the rotor and not touching on 1" of the surface.
The SS and LT calipers are different. My guess is his caliper is not sliding / closing as it should so only one side of the pad is clamping. I have not done much with the V6 brakes so I invited two people with deeper V6 brake knowledge to post in the thread.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

OK so this Camaro in question is a V6,now you mentioned it after seeing the V6 I wondered why the brakes looked different on mind compared to the V6.
Leave it to you ,* You know your stuff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The SS and LT calipers are different. My guess is his caliper is not sliding / closing as it should so only one side of the pad is clamping. I have not done much with the V6 brakes so I invited two people with deeper V6 brake knowledge to post in the thread.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
usranger80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
Big Sarge,

If you havn't already, double check the caliper mounting bolts and make sure they are secure. If they are, the only thing I can think of that would make the calper move would be one of the pads on that corner is the wrong thickness or was ground down at and angle when it was produced. The movement would be from the caliper and spindle flexing.

Let us know what you find out!
Mounting Bolts are secure, I tightened them about as tight as I can get them, will take it out for a drive later on and see if anything has changed. Thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
usranger80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
How many miles are on the caliper?
car only has 3800 miles on it
Old 12-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Yours a V6, according to Pete he said the V6 and V8 is different therefore you may not experience the same problem I had with mind.

Good Luck
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
I don't have any first hand experience with the V6 brakes, but this is what i would check if the car was brought to me.

But is there a caliper pin that could have been cross threaded?
This was a big issue on Taurus’s back in the day, and would cause a lot of issues.
This isn't something the SS cars have because they don't have caliper pins, just bolts to hold the caliper to the knuckles and the pics that hold the pads in.

It’s also possible that the pad is binding up in the brackets, sometimes the Wagner pads have ‘deposits’ on the backings where they mount in the caliper slides. If this is the case you will have a hard time moving the pads in the caliper, if you can pull the calipers back while the bracket is still installed with the pads, see if you can move the pads freely,

Also be sure that the pads are installed in the right places, and that none of the pads or tabs on them are hitting the calipers and causing them to bend when pressed.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@PeddersUSA.com View Post
I don't have any first hand experience with the V6 brakes, but this is what i would check if the car was brought to me.

But is there a caliper pin that could have been cross threaded?
This was a big issue on Taurus’s back in the day, and would cause a lot of issues.
This isn't something the SS cars have because they don't have caliper pins, just bolts to hold the caliper to the knuckles and the pics that hold the pads in.

It’s also possible that the pad is binding up in the brackets, sometimes the Wagner pads have ‘deposits’ on the backings where they mount in the caliper slides. If this is the case you will have a hard time moving the pads in the caliper, if you can pull the calipers back while the bracket is still installed with the pads, see if you can move the pads freely,

Also be sure that the pads are installed in the right places, and that none of the pads or tabs on them are hitting the calipers and causing them to bend when pressed.
In addition to this make sure the knuckle/bracket is free of rust where the pads slide.I would take them apart clean the slides and caliper pins then the area where the pads set and the pins will need to be lubed, them with caliper lube alot of times this will fix the problem.The v6 brakes are a floating type of caliper mounting and the v8 caliperrs are a fixed mounting style.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
JusticePete

Thank you Rob and Bruce for your spot on advice!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
usranger80

Thank you everyone, gonna try all of your advice and I will get back to you with the outcome