Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
I often take my Camaro on the same twisty roads I ride my Duc, it is very FUN and handles them fairly well. Yes I have the V6 which requires alittle higher RPM but it still squirts out of those turns pretty good. I will prob do some suspension tweaks here soon, stiffer springs/torsion/sway bars, lower the car approx 1+ inch and reduce the little sway it has now.
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
When I take my 'maro out to play, I run on more twisties than straight line roads. Its just so fun to go flying into a near 90 degree turn while downshifting and then dropping the hammer coming out.....WOW! Its fun to let the car stretch its legs every now and then, but the curves are soooo much more fun, esp. when you get the back end to slide out a little, hehe.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #17
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
With my suspension mods, this thing rocks in the twisties! I've taken her on some cool mountain roads - up & down Palomar mtn - CA S6 & S7, up & down Montezuma grade into Borrego Springs - and she handles great!

It's a fun ride!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
CA 58 and CA 33.

Some of the many curvy mountain roads out here. These cars can handle those roads.
I'm about to start my 3,000 mile review on both, an automatic V6 and a manual SS.
I'll have a section dedicated to suspension and handling.
Milk, keep us posted on your road driving!! Those are some fun roads! I'd like to read what you have to say about them...when are you going?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Milk, keep us posted on your road driving!! Those are some fun roads! I'd like to read what you have to say about them...when are you going?
I took my SS down the 58 to Pismo beach and the V6 down the 33 to Santa Barbara.
I'll try to post my experience on it tomorrow. Both cars are stock and can't wait to get some suspension on my SS.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #19
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I took my SS down the 58 to Pismo beach and the V6 down the 33 to Santa Barbara.
I'll try to post my experience on it tomorrow. Both cars are stock and can't wait to get some suspension on my SS.
Dude! You have as SS and a V6?

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #20
UncleBenny

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
You serious? My ZX12R would out handle ANY car. And it was a pig of a sport bike. Bikes don't slide (no over steer or under steer), they just lean harder to track a line through any curve. Cars will simply slide off the road if the corner is too tight or taken too fast. Bikes also transition quicker from right to left and back.

You must be talking about a really light car (Lotus) against a really heavy bike (a Hardley or a Goldwing). I can see that.
Cars have 4 tires and way more grip than a bike, a properly set up sports car will definitely beat a bike through corners.
UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
cool!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Kwik

Drives: car
Put some Pfadt sport bars on there and the fun really begins! Want even better handling? Grab a set of Pfadt coilovers.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
Cars have 4 tires and way more grip than a bike, a properly set up sports car will definitely beat a bike through corners.
Cars may have 4 tires, but they have tons more weight too those tires have to keep planted, depends on if the bike was properly set up and who the rider is.... I have seen many street bikes no street car could outrun through the twisties...
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
Roddd 1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
[QUOTE=Michael_Js;2015704]With my suspension mods, this thing rocks in the twisties! I've taken her on some cool mountain roads - up & down Palomar mtn - CA S6 & S7, up & down Montezuma grade into Borrego Springs - and she handles great!

It's a fun ride!!

michael, I'm also in San Diego. Lemme know if you ever wanna put together a little Palomar mountain cruise. I don't have the suspension upgrades you do...yet but my 1SS handles it pretty well. God I love the traction control!!!
Roddd 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #25
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Roddd 1SS;2017126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
With my suspension mods, this thing rocks in the twisties! I've taken her on some cool mountain roads - up & down Palomar mtn - CA S6 & S7, up & down Montezuma grade into Borrego Springs - and she handles great!

It's a fun ride!!

michael, I'm also in San Diego. Lemme know if you ever wanna put together a little Palomar mountain cruise. I don't have the suspension upgrades you do...yet but my 1SS handles it pretty well. God I love the traction control!!!
Sure! I posted that ride a few weeks ago and 3 of us went on it! I did a shorter version of that last Friday. Those are my favorite Motorcycling roads to go on
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #26
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
I don't ride sport bikes, but I know the sport bike guys like glass-smooth pavement and medium to long turns, which the Camaro seems to like as well. So I can see the comparison. I don't think anyone was suggesting the Camaro is faster than a sport bike.

And as for the V6, I drove a loaner V6 for a few hours while my car was in PDI, and compared to the V8, the front felt a little more alive, and it was easier to heel-toe because the engine response was quicker. It was also more forgiving with the clutch work, and there wasn't so much driveline lash. The V6 didn't feel like it was fighting itself on REALLY tight corners like I recently discovered about the V8. So I can see how some would prefer the V6 for more subtle corner work in the tight stuff.

Edit: I think the Camaro in general, and V8 in particular, is not really up to the task of ultra-tight twisties. Wheel hop ruins any carefully-planned power-on oversteer you may try to coax out of it on exit (especially up-hill), it's too massive and the steering is too slow for any type scandinavian turns, the ABS pulses are too slow and the electronic brake force distribution isn't good enough to toss into a corner under late breaking to scrub off speed. Just my first impressions though, I just got it a few days ago.

Last edited by iHasCamaro; 03-14-2012 at 03:30 AM.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #27
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I'm a sport bike rider, love the twisties and have been wondering how our SS will be on the back roads. My wife and I talked about making a trip south and hitting Deals Gap like we did last year on our bike. Our trip was 3520 miles in 10 days, NY to FL and back skipping the interstate, it was refreshing!

US 129 rocks and I recommend it to anyone who has a chance & time to ride/drive it. Spend a few days and ride all the roads in that area, there are many.

t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I like to drive twisties all the time. I go up to our mountain roads as much as I can to enjoy the clear air, curves...and the sweet sound of the LS3 with the windows rolled down..

As far as comparing to motorcycles...no car will ever be able to go faster than most motorcycles. Motorcycles are just better in curves, and most sport bikes have better power/weight ratio. Not worth comparing.