Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Question How to remove convertible door sills?

I acquired some nice carbon fiber door sill covers at the local dealer. They are GM licensed and are high quality. They had been sitting on the shelf for a long time. My parts desk friend asked me if I wanted them. I said sure!

Anyway, the manufacturer suggests removing the old sill, removing any remaining adhesive, cleaning/claying the paint and then applying the new sill. The issue is the factory sill protects a bigger area (it wraps to cover the side) than the new one.

What I'd like to do is remove the factory sill and then cut out the inner plastic section. Then I can replace the old inner plastic section with the new carbon fiber sill cover.

So my question is: How to remove the old sill so that it can be reinstalled?

I have trim tools and a heat gun/hair dryer to loosen any adhesive. I just didn't want to pull in the wrong place and break something.
Attached Images

Last edited by intensifi; 01-03-2015 at 01:25 AM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
intensifi

It turns out it is easy to remove the convertible door sill. I used a hair dryer to heat the leading/lower edge and a trim tool to pop the piece out. There is only adhesive tape on the leading/lower edge. The rest is held in by tabs.

However once removed it, I realized I could not cut out the center of the factory sill to make room for the carbon fiber sill as the tabs are mounted in this area. So what I had to do was install the carbon fiber sill on top of the factory sill. If it separates over time, I'll just get some liquid automotive adhesive to create a better seal. Right now the carbon fiber sill is stuck onto the "Chevrolet" section of the factory sill.

Last edited by intensifi; 01-28-2015 at 01:05 AM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
Loveride

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
So what I had to do was install the carbon fiber sill on top of the factory sill.

I'm betting that's how your supposed to install it.
Loveride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
intensifi

Supposed to - sure

how they documented it - nope
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveride View Post
I'm betting that's how your supposed to install it.
That's what I did. They look great and easy to install.
Name:  IMG_5973.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5972.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  102.0 KB
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #6
intensifi

very nice!

Tags
convertible, sill plates