Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Dealer wants verification of mechanism fix

Hi,
So my dealer has agreed to replace my entire convertible top due to the rub marks. They say that the previous owner had the "fix" done where they put the 3m tape on and filed some pieces down. So it "shouldn't" happen with the new top. I don't appear to have the 5th bow problem.

I have read various things on this forum about a new "updated" mechanism which is the true fix and why the 2013 onwards don't have the issue. The dealer says he can't find any info from GM stating there was a "fix" or "redesign" of the mechanism to deal with the problem which would allow him to replace the mechanism. He is completely open to replacing it but wants to know if there is in fact something from GM which he is unaware of (guess he should call them....)

Does anyone have any legitimate knowledge of this newer mechanism being a real fix? Or is this all word of mouth or speculation?

I hope i will have some form of warranty on the new top so if it starts to show the same rub marks I can again raise it until they replace the mechanism. I find it really hard to believe that GM would keep replacing tops if it's the mechanism that needs changing. It will cost them more in the end.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Have had both fabric and 5th bow replaced. The 5th bow was redesigned according to my source with a stronger "tab". It would be in your best interest to at LEAST have the 5th bow replaced while the fabric is off to save headaches in the future. Just my 2cents.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Check out this thread. It will answer the questions you have about the new mechanism.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390435

And drop by this page and join the Top Problems Club.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/226942550693692/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Thanks!
Lots of good info there. Not sure if it will be the definitive info my dealer wants but it gives him something to check out with GM anyhow.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #5
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
It's pretty simple. Here's how I figured this out and confirmed with the dealer parts people.

Have your dealer print out the parts manifest for a '13, '14 or '15 convertible top. There are three: One for the mechanism, one for the waterbag, and one for the canvas.

Now for all the parts check the model year they fit. Since you have an '11 you will need to make sure all the new parts are rated for the '11. I verified them for the '12 model year. In particular you'll need the new water bag, canvas, arms (links), hinges and trim pieces.

This will take about 1/2 an hour so buy your parts guy and service manager lunch to make it worth their time.

A few parts will say "2nd" design. You definitely want those. However even though the bows are not marked "2nd" design, you'll need all 5 as they are different for the "2nd" design tops. The old bows don't fit. Also yours are most likely bent by now due to design issues. If you can get the new top motor, go for that as well.

Be aware that when they put your VIN in for these parts it may say, you can't use all the "2nd" design parts. This is to be expected. Just use the original design for those replacement parts. If you are really serious, buy the "2nd" design part as well and confirm it is truly different from the original. If the size and mounting holes are the same, then use the "2nd" design part.

Once all the parts arrive it's about 20 hours of labor to put it all back together. This takes a very experienced technician to pull it off. IT IS NOT FOR A JUNIOR PERSON. If your dealer uses a trim shop you may be better off there. Work with the service manager early in the process to decide if they have someone that can really do this.

There is NO SERVICE BULLETIN for this. It's just detective work with information your dealer has on their parts computer. Once you connect the dots for them, it's not hard to understand or justify. The new tops are not having the problems.

This was a real pain to research and trouble shoot. That said, it was worth it. My new top looks awesome and functions properly.

I'm happy to discuss this with you if you want. PM me and we can set a time.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Jasper,

have your dealer (or you) call Peter @ Enco Trim in Thornhill, Ontario
115 Doncaster Avenue
Thornhill, ON, Canada
+1 905-881-0464

Enco has repaired many 2011's sent to them from various dealers (including mine)
I also refered another C5 member( he is even further away than you) to my dealer who in turn sent his car to Enco .Last I checked his top was functioning properly...and so is mine, knock on wood...

There is a retrofit kit, I can't remember exactly what that entails( the work order read" upgrade top to 2014 standards"), but I thick it includes new canvas, beefed up bows and extra strings.So when the top is in the down position it is pulled away from the back of the car and the top does not touch.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
Having read many posts about the top issues both here and on Facebook, I argued for and received a two year extended warranty letter for the top (which also covered a few other things like the power windows, etc). My dealer and Chevy customer service really dragged their feet, (we'll talk about it only after the repair is done), and the dealer claimed they had never issued one before, but I was persistant and got what I wanted. Do your homework and don't settle for anything less than getting this letter. Good luck.

Last edited by xnuyokr; 01-29-2015 at 10:37 AM.
xnuyokr is offline   Reply With Quote