Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
Ferrari > Chevrolet
the camaro is a "shiftable automatic" and the ferraris were actually flappy paddle dear boxes? where when you pulled it, it actually did the work of a manual for you? i know the newest ferraris are, but i dont know when you worked for them..like, the f430 scuderia...when you pull the paddle, it switches faster than you can blink an eye

but, i do not think the camaro can do that, it would be the first shiftable that can
Yea the even in the 90s ferrari had a real nice paddle shift. It acted like a manual that let you shift with paddle.

And it had some secrets like if you held both paddles back for so many second you got a secret performance mode .

Well i wan manual now.
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #16
MaroSS
ZL1

Drives: 10' SS/RS - Sold; 15' White ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
would a stick be smart to have in a place like L.A.? i'm probably going to be moving there

i really want to learn to drive a stick but i'm scared i might mess up parking it or turning a corner if i don't downshift or put it on neutral properly
L.A. has the worst traffic EVER!!!!!! the main freeways into and past downtown (10 East and west and the 110 North and South) Are always PACKED!!!! Sure its good to have a stick on the weekends for pleasure ... but that clutch will be a killer with heavy traffic like in L.A. My dad never drives his C6 Corvette due to the Traffic conditions lol but at the same time the streets are great kinda ... Just don't go anywhere near Beverly Hills lmao
Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #17
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleybacker View Post
correct me if i am wrong, but cant you shift the paddle shifter into neutral and then rev the engine and then shift it up into 1st?
When i worked for ferrari the 355s and 360s had that option.
That's called a "neutral drop". Neutral drops are pretty abusive on a normal automatic transmission. Did those Ferraris have normal automatic transmissions or did they have an automated manual / twin clutch gearbox?
http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ear_manual.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
would a stick be smart to have in a place like L.A.? i'm probably going to be moving there
I doubt it would make sense to drive stick in that traffic.

Quote:
i really want to learn to drive a stick but i'm scared i might mess up parking it or turning a corner if i don't downshift or put it on neutral properly
If you weren't driving somewhere nasty then I'd say those concerns shouldn't worry you. If you're turning a corner and forget to downshift or put it in neutral, it will start bucking as if it was misfiring, and that would remind you to do something about it; no damage done. If you're parking and forget, it may stall...again, no damage done.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleybacker View Post
Yea the even in the 90s ferrari had a real nice paddle shift. It acted like a manual that let you shift with paddle.

And it had some secrets like if you held both paddles back for so many second you got a secret performance mode .

Well i wan manual now.
So wait, then if I tapped the up shifter twice, then flipped it into park I'd get unlimited gas?

Damn, we need a cheat code bank for these cars. XD
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #19
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
To the poster: Locate a Pontiac G8 GT or G8 GXP nearby and go test drive it with the automatic. The GXP feels nearly identical to the Camaro. The GT also drives similar, but with a hair more body roll in corners. Push the shifter over into Sport mode and use the manual upshift/downshift function. It will feel exactly like the Camaro transmission. The automatic in my G8 GT is one of the best I've driven. With 6 gears, the shifts come quickly and it downshifts excellent for passing. After owning this car, I'd even consider changing my 2010 Camaro order to an auto. And, I HATE autos! But, I ordered my Camaro last year, so I'm sticking with the original plan.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Sure in some spirited driving the manual certainly has its advantages, it appears to be more macho, and granted it is fun to row quickly through the gears. But as technology progresses and I age, I am finding that the "manumatic" auto's are not that bad. My
335i steptronic does a very nice job, esp with the paddle shifters, at allowing you to focus on the road ahead, while maintaining a very brisk pace. It allows both my wife (who can't drive a stick) and I to be able to drive it (see this how you want, but for me it was buy auto or you can't get it...because she HAS to be able to drive it). Also, on a drag strip it will be WAY more consistent and usually quicker (may not MPH with the stick though). The 6L80 is a stout tranny and with tuning now available, I think you'll find (some of you may found out the hard way) that the performance gap between auto's and manuals has shrunk substantially with this new car.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
To the poster: Locate a Pontiac G8 GT or G8 GXP nearby and go test drive it with the automatic. The GXP feels nearly identical to the Camaro. The GT also drives similar, but with a hair more body roll in corners. Push the shifter over into Sport mode and use the manual upshift/downshift function. It will feel exactly like the Camaro transmission. The automatic in my G8 GT is one of the best I've driven. With 6 gears, the shifts come quickly and it downshifts excellent for passing. After owning this car, I'd even consider changing my 2010 Camaro order to an auto. And, I HATE autos! But, I ordered my Camaro last year, so I'm sticking with the original plan.

Test drive automatic and the manual. Hell, look around for people selling them and ask them if you can test drive 1, when you're done, leave 10 bux in there car and leave...lol
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Auto vs. Manual is a tough debate for me. I spend a lot of time in heavy Los Angeles traffic, and I have bad knees. The automatic seems the practical, sensible choice. However, if I strictly wanted practical and sensible I wouldn't be getting the Camaro now would I? Since fun is part of the equation, manual is in the running. It all comes down to how much I want to compromise.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
Super Sport

Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
Not only that but I just learned that, even with 26hp less, the tapshift automatic transmission is .3 seconds faster in the 0-60 (4.6 vs. 4.9) and .1 second faster in the quarter mile (13.3 as opposed to 13.4).

Tough decision.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
I gave up my manual daily 6 months ago im miserable now. I dont feel like im driving the car at all now. I will say this though i test drove the g8 and gave the driver shift control a shot. I was surprised to say it was quite fun but still no comparison to a stick. If i had to pay extra for a 6 speed i would no question there. Im old school i guess its in my blood
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #25
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Auto vs. Manual is a tough debate for me. I spend a lot of time in heavy Los Angeles traffic, and I have bad knees. The automatic seems the practical, sensible choice. However, if I strictly wanted practical and sensible I wouldn't be getting the Camaro now would I? Since fun is part of the equation, manual is in the running. It all comes down to how much I want to compromise.
You answered the question at first. You walking away or being comfortable is more important.

It's made in USA too and a quality product. This is a nice heavy duty 6 speed. It's probably one of the best auto tranny ever offered by GM. And it's old school to fix it vs the newer vette rear tranny$$$ (cheaper to rebuild later).

It will also outlast the manuals cluch. Saving you valuable $$$ time and money by not having to worry about it till later.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #26
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
You answered the question at first. You walking away or being comfortable is more important.

It's made in USA too and a quality product. This is a nice heavy duty 6 speed. It's probably one of the best auto tranny ever offered by GM. And it's old school to fix it vs the newer vette rear tranny$$$ (cheaper to rebuild later).

It will also outlast the manuals cluch. Saving you valuable $$$ time and money by not having to worry about it till later.
In that vein, how is this tranny on tap down vs. tap up shifting for nice twisty turny roads? And how will it hold up there?

My 69 four speed was much more fun to drive through the country, than my 67 auto! Somehow the delayed downshift coming into a corner just didn't make it, ya know? LOL

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #27
Super Sport

Drives: Mazda 3 GS 2008.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
In that vein, how is this tranny on tap down vs. tap up shifting for nice twisty turny roads? And how will it hold up there?

My 69 four speed was much more fun to drive through the country, than my 67 auto! Somehow the delayed downshift coming into a corner just didn't make it, ya know? LOL

LabRat
I think the whole purpose of an automated manual, manumatic, whatchawannacallit-atic, is that you CAN benefit from all of the features of a true manual transmission without having to worry about a clutch, gas management, and rowing endlessly through the gears. I know for a fact, having driven a Mistubishi Evo X at several Auto X events, and read countless articles on the net (and also listened to owners' testimonials), that at least for that car, the twin-clutch automated manual downshifts responsively and aggressively when you corner down twisty roads.

Response time of todays' performance automated transmissions is much faster than anything you can achieve with a manual transmission in the best conditions and with the best driver possible. However, I think that the manual vs. automatic war will never be won. It really depends on personal preference nowadays. I want to be able to row through the gears myself and downshift when I want to but then again, sometimes I might just want to sit back and let the car do the work.

I think I've settled on the tapshift auto.
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #28
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Of your not that good at it get automatic. You should only get stick if you know what your doing
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote