Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
UCF's numbers are not entirely correct, he is not at fault, but cars are not showing on his scans, mine still does not show #13345 and #13346 a LT m-6 showed one morning and disappeared by noon. mine was built a week ago, 2SS, have no idea if it's shipped but VIN does show up at GM site with price only but no detail, so no matter how hard UCF tries I doubt all preorders will show up, so we really do not know how many R6P cars are built. Also my dealer got in two preorders, both 1SS, one person backed out of order, I will find details today and post because the 1SS is available for sale at msrp.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
When someone says "I don't disagree", does that mean they do agree? I've always wondered why those words are chosen instead of "agree".
I usually say that when I don't completely agree but don't completely disagree.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
If someone ordered from a dealership during the R6P period and the dealership didn't have available allocation, are they still considered R6P orders?

Please explain
I'm by no means the expert.

But here is how I understand it. There are are two problems. The most common is you have a R6P or pre ordered from a dealer that is way low on the allocation priority list.

The other is you ordered from a dealer that has already filled its allocation so you would be possibly waiting till after Oct for your car.

So yes you are still an R6P order but The dealer can't guarantee that you will have your car before OCT. Only the R6P order that fell withing the original allocation for SORP are supposed to be filled by Oct.

I'll leave this one up for debate. But that is how I understand it to work.

Anyone else?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
No. When we discuss R6P on this site, we are only talking about early orders that are within a dealers allocation . If a car is not within the dealers allocation, it is still placed as an order but GM knows immediately that the dealer has sold all it's allocations and the order is held. Problem is that the customer has no idea what is going on. When this issue comes up, GM should be ensuring that the customer understands this so that they have the option of going to a dealership with allocation.
Were dealership allocations determined by the October preorder date?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
It's True my car arrived yesterday in Mt. Pleasant, Mi and left Pontiac early that day. Perks of being in MI is that it only took five hours to get to me. VIN 5952 is home, picking up after work today.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #20
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
No. When we discuss R6P on this site, we are only talking about early orders that are within a dealers allocation . If a car is not within the dealers allocation, it is still placed as an order but GM knows immediately that the dealer has sold all it's allocations and the order is held. Problem is that the customer has no idea what is going on. When this issue comes up, GM should be ensuring that the customer understands this so that they have the option of going to a dealership with allocation.
it looks like you and I may disagree a bit.

Can you please comment on my post also...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
NotAnInsider

Drives: just sold it. Feet!
Quote:
If someone ordered from a dealership during the R6P period and the dealership didn't have available allocation, are they still considered R6P orders?

Please explain
Yes, despite not yet being built, their order still has the R6P code. That is, of course, unless they were victim of the glitch that was dropping this code (and/or WRS) off.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #22
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Yes. Initial allocation was given to all dealers back in September-October. It was only a guide because there was a possibility that the number may change somewhat. So far, the guide number given last fall is fairly accurate with many dealers being given an extra car or two. I know my dealer got one more and I think Newman Chevrolet (CamaroScotty) got 2 more.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #23
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Uhm I don't exactly understand your question...

The National allocation plan was federally approved before the start of regular production for the Camaro.

If you ordered as part of your dealers original allocation then you could expect your car no later than Oct.

If not then it's anyones guess when you will get your car.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #24
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Let me start by saying, I have not ordered a car yet, so I don't really understand people's aggravation due to the waiting process, but I can appreciate the desire to get your car. With that said, I think people are being a bit unrealistic with all the complaining about the pre-order process.

Think about it from a business standpoint. GM would be best served by not having any pre-order process. The car's would generate the most revenue for the dealer network, and ultimately require GM to provide less incentives to the dealers if they did not have a pre-order program. Many people were able to negotiate MSRP for this car before most dealers knew what was coming. Now that the demand is obvious to the dealers, very few are willing to sell the car at sticker price. GM did this program, at their expense, to help build loyal fans and repeat customers. Most people here would have had to fight on ebay to get a car in the first 2-3 months, and virtually none of them would be sold at MSRP.

If the bean counters were truly running GM, they would not be building R6P cars at all right now, because those are sold orders already, and in many cases the dealer is not getting "market value". They would be building dealer lot cars to maximize dealer profit and keep them in the black.

Yes, some people get their car off the lot before others get their R6P cars, but in many cases it is due to somebody backing out of an R6P order, so that person just was in the right place at the right time.

Last thought: I don't understand why people say they have been waiting 7 months for their car. You ordered in October knowing production didn't start until February, and that was pushed back for all cars by a month. So at best, you have been waiting since mid-March, which is only a bit more than 2 months. The time before production was well known ahead of time, so stop counting that as wait time.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
it looks like you and I may disagree a bit.

Can you please comment on my post also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I'm by no means the expert.

But here is how I understand it. There are are two problems. The most common is you have a R6P or pre ordered from a dealer that is way low on the allocation priority list.

The other is you ordered from a dealer that has already filled its allocation so you would be possibly waiting till after Oct for your car.

So yes you are still an R6P order but The dealer can't guarantee that you will have your car before OCT. Only the R6P order that fell withing the original allocation for SORP are supposed to be filled by Oct.

I'll leave this one up for debate. But that is how I understand it to work.

Anyone else?

We are not that far apart actually. We agree about the orders outside of allocation and probably agree on what should be done with those. As far as the allocation priority, I've always looked at it as delivery would be on a percentage basis. So - if your dealership got an initial allocation of 50 cars and mine got an initial allocation of 5 cars, your dealership would receive 10 cars for every 1 car mine received. It would be very difficult for GM to manage it any other way although it's not impossible.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #26
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1camaro70 View Post
UCF's numbers are not entirely correct, he is not at fault, but cars are not showing on his scans, mine still does not show #13345 and #13346 a LT m-6 showed one morning and disappeared by noon. mine was built a week ago, 2SS, have no idea if it's shipped but VIN does show up at GM site with price only but no detail, so no matter how hard UCF tries I doubt all preorders will show up, so we really do not know how many R6P cars are built. Also my dealer got in two preorders, both 1SS, one person backed out of order, I will find details today and post because the 1SS is available for sale at msrp.
My numbers ARE correct. That's why I gave a percentage, and not a number. We can assume that cars that are currently showing on the window sticker pages are a relatively accurate sample of the cars being built. There's not some model or type that are being omitted. In addition, both R6P and non-R6P cars show up on the site with no bias towards one or the other. I know I have not captured every car but I have captured the R6P data for well over 3000 of the 14000 or so that have been built up to this point. I don't remember the formulas for sample size from my statistics courses but it's safe to say that we have a large enough sample size to have a valid estimate within a few percentage points of the actual numbers.

Last edited by UCF w00t; 06-05-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #27
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Yep...the pre-order deal turned out to be a big pile of dung for GM I think. Hope they learn something from it. I just get so tired of seeing post after post after post where someone has ordered in March, April, or May, and their car is either in transit or they are posting pictures of it in their driveway. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for these people. It could have easily been me instead of them but this goes to show just how big a screwed up mess the pre-order process has been. I certainly won't ever do it again I can tell you that. I really don't like to get mad and irratated but have been pushed into that mode....and that really pisses me off...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #28
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Let me start by saying, I have not ordered a car yet, so I don't really understand people's aggravation due to the waiting process, but I can appreciate the desire to get your car. With that said, I think people are being a bit unrealistic with all the complaining about the pre-order process.

Think about it from a business standpoint. GM would be best served by not having any pre-order process. The car's would generate the most revenue for the dealer network, and ultimately require GM to provide less incentives to the dealers if they did not have a pre-order program. Many people were able to negotiate MSRP for this car before most dealers knew what was coming. Now that the demand is obvious to the dealers, very few are willing to sell the car at sticker price. GM did this program, at their expense, to help build loyal fans and repeat customers. Most people here would have had to fight on ebay to get a car in the first 2-3 months, and virtually none of them would be sold at MSRP.

If the bean counters were truly running GM, they would not be building R6P cars at all right now, because those are sold orders already, and in many cases the dealer is not getting "market value". They would be building dealer lot cars to maximize dealer profit and keep them in the black.

Yes, some people get their car off the lot before others get their R6P cars, but in many cases it is due to somebody backing out of an R6P order, so that person just was in the right place at the right time.

Last thought: I don't understand why people say they have been waiting 7 months for their car. You ordered in October knowing production didn't start until February, and that was pushed back for all cars by a month. So at best, you have been waiting since mid-March, which is only a bit more than 2 months. The time before production was well known ahead of time, so stop counting that as wait time.
This could not be further from the truth.

GM used the preorder process to give them a guide as to what option configurations would be most popular. This allowed them to order parts from their suppliers more accurately which reduces overhead and also maximizes efficiency of the assembly line for the demand. While I agree that this has been a pain to dealers and customers, the benefit to GM itself has trumped all other concerns. GM really doesn't much care what a dealer sells the car for. It's not their money. They get paid invoice (or thereabouts) whether the car sells for $20,000 or $100,000.

As my scan has shown, 45% of the orders built right now are not preorders at all. Yes, some preorder cars have become available due to financing and other issues but that's not the concern here. Our concern is about the cars being built.

Closed Thread