Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Track Weekend Review of RacingBrake 2 piece rotors

So, I have had my RacingBrake 2 piece rotors for a few weeks now. I just finished a 2 day track event on the Roval (road course) at Fontana or ACS. This road course features the front NASCAR straight and NASCAR turns 1 and 2 and a road course in the midfield. One day was scorching hot in the high 90's, not exactly brake friendly weather.

The braking needed to stop my 2 ton car from the straight after NASCAR 2 into turn 3 and 4 is massive. I was hitting 165-170 on the front NASCAR straight and hitting 150+ on the banked turns one and two. I needed to brake hard and brake fast to get the 90 degree left and then quick 90 degree right of turn 3 and 4. The RacingBrake rotors were up to the task. I was out braking cars that cost more than my house including Porsche, GTR, Boss 302, SuperSnakes, Saleens, Rousch and many other mustangs. Sadly the ZR1 and Z06 were also incapable of out braking me. NO BRAKE FADE!!!!! Ohhh yeah forgot to add I was out braking and driving these cars that should be whooping me with one useable arm and an automatic in Sport mode....no shifting. That means zero engine braking. Did I mention NO BRAKE FADE?!?!?!?!

Saying I out brake expensive cars is enough but that's not the whole story. The weight lost made my car quicker to accelerate, easier to turn in and even easier to brake combined with the improved braking performance of the rotors themselves. Quicker car and again NO BRAKE FADE...absolutely none.

The 2 piece rotors aren't just some sandcasted junk. They are built right with a dimpled slot and small holes in the slot to let gas and dust escape while helping dealing with heat. They are not just the run of the mill drilled/slotted rotors where they are sandcasted then drilled by machine which weakens the entire rotor and leads to cracking. The are machined and built with with dimple and holes in them so the hardness and rigidity of the metal is not compromised by the drill.

For you car show types these rotors are built right and will attract attention where ever you go. They will not have that unsightly rust that the oem and many other aftermarket rotors have. For the weight savings guys I lost 23 pounds of unsprung and rotational mass when it was all installed....for the MPG guys that means better fuel mileage as well. It really is the end all be all rotor for EVERY type of driver for our cars

RacingBrake are THE American made brake experts. Rotors, Pads, Caliper rebuild kits, and forged calipers for many vehicles.

I am trying to get enough interest in our community so they will build lightweight forged and very very pretty calipers for us. Beg, plead, and ask for light weight and beautiful calipers to go with their beautiful light weight rotors here 714-871-6392 or http://www.racingbrake.com/. Tell them Blake with silver camaro sent you and they will know what you want! I have been down to their shop and watched my rotors be assembled and browsed their isles and isles of pads and rotors and calipers and caliper rebuild kits....its like brake disney land.

Here a few pics of them testing the hardness of the rotor, assembling the 2 piece rotor, one pic of the rotor on my car with dirty and burned oem caliper, and the last is the rotor shining from behind my wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by SPCBA; 05-09-2013 at 03:20 PM.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
What pads are you using?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Pretty much sums up why I was willing to shell out the moneys for RB rotors. That and the fact that they're 23 pounds lighter than the stock rotors when it's all said and done.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What pads are you using?
I was using HP+ front and RacingBrakes 800 rear. I will be using a track dedicated pad setup from RacingBrake on my next track weekend.....at Sonoma, yeaaaa!

edited to say figured youd be happy about my nice burnt golden color of my calipers

Last edited by SPCBA; 05-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Pretty much sums up why I was willing to shell out the moneys for RB rotors. That and the fact that they're 23 pounds lighter than the stock rotors when it's all said and done.
I forgot to add that to the review...spot on about the weight loss
Old 05-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
SWEET!!!! I wish I could afford them!!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
This is all true, I watched as he kicked the crap outta the other cars. There were 20 or so people coming over to see how he was kicking their butt. It was awesome.

Pete he needs better pads lol all I am saying.....or more pads lol sponsor anyone??
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
This is all true, I watched as he kicked the crap outta the other cars. There were 20 or so people coming over to see how he was kicking their butt. It was awesome.

Pete he needs better pads lol all I am saying.....or more pads lol sponsor anyone??

Ya its always fun to see the mudstangs and super cars gather around a "lowly" heavy chevy and scratch their heads. Then to see their booboo face when they find out I drive one handed and auto in sport.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Ya its always fun to see the mudstangs and super cars gather around a "lowly" heavy chevy and scratch their heads. Then to see their booboo face when they find out I drive one handed and auto in sport.

Yes, yes it is and was fun. They were hatin the first day and became friendly the next day when they knew they were beat.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
If you want the best, Racing Brake is it. No doubt about it. We just sent a set over night to a customer on the 2013 One Lap of America.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
If you want the best, Racing Brake is it. No doubt about it. We just sent a set over night to a customer on the 2013 One Lap of America.

Help me get the word out that there is a market for forged lightweight calipers too! People think the ctsv upgrade is the only way....its not and they need to know so we can get this product custom built by RacingBrake
Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Help me get the word out that there is a market for forged lightweight calipers too! People think the ctsv upgrade is the only way....its not and they need to know so we can get this product custom built by RacingBrake
Interesting. Does RB say how much these calipers will weigh?
Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
The factory really is a Brake Disneyland inside!

I was just down there two days ago picking up stainless steel brake lines for my ZL1. I would have mentioned it to Warren, oops,too late.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
I was using HP+ front and RacingBrakes 800 rear. I will be using a track dedicated pad setup from RacingBrake on my next track weekend.....at Sonoma, yeaaaa!

edited to say figured youd be happy about my nice burnt golden color of my calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post

Quote:
CTS-V Calipers are an excellent cost effective solution. We installed those on the PUSA Camaro back in 2010. Next thing you know GM is installing them on the ZL1 And then a 27mm solid front bar on the 1LE And then the 305/30/19s on the Z/28 Not to mention the upgraded front sub-frame bushes in 2012 and the rock hard front sub-frame bushes in the ZL1

Excuse me while I take a deep breath

In our efforts to stay ahead of the Camaro TEAM (which isn't easy ) I have been speaking with Brembo for about 18 months about killer brakes for the 5th Gen. The calipers need to be a step below a full racing brake so they can be used on the street. (Full racing brake calipers are high maintenance.) The GT-R Caliper is spot on. It has no exterior dust seals to over heat and disintegrate. Is machine from a block of billet aluminum. SS Inserts to insulate the piston from the heat of the backing plate.

The calipers will work with iron or composite rotors. They have a new composite rotor that does not need to be replaced when scratched like the OE CF rotors.

If you have driven a ZL1 you will understand what I am about to say. My lasting impression of a ZL1 is the brakes are beyond ridiculous. You feel like you can stop on a dime from ANY speed.

How far along are the RB Calipers?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote