Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trclee View Post
I have been thinking about the vararam or cai but my next upgrade (hopefully)in the next 12 months will be a Whipple install. so can i still use the vararam after that or will i be buying a new one?
I would get the ADM Race CAI! You can use it now AND after you add your Whipple!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
trclee

Drives: 2011 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
I would get the ADM Race CAI! You can use it now AND after you add your Whipple!
Thanks. Reading up on it now.
trclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Quote:
Thanks. Reading up on it now.
FYI, Adm made 910rwhp and 1000 tq thru this exact same CAI on a ZL1 for a customer. And several of the fastest cars on the fast list run the ADM CAI. Excellent choice for power and versatility in case you decide to go supercharged!
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
What kind of issues?
Talk to Ron again about your cam choice to make sure you are comfortable. Vengeance knows what they are doing with LS engines in any configuration - be it n/a, boosted ( turbo or s/c ) - however you want to make the power. They developed the Kaotic and they know where and how it makes power be it n/a or boosted. Many replying here are just guessing.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
What kind of issues?
A cam with 13 degrees of overlap will have a few issues at slower speeds. Your car will have a bad assed idle, will shake a little at stoplites, will surge and buck a little at 1400 to 1700 rpm in high load low speed situations. Yes, you can shift to a lower gear to get away from that. If you're OK with that, you may be fine with the bigger n/a cam. I've seen it too often where folks get tired of the big cam issues after a while. The other side of that coin, is that some wouldn't have it any other way. It's a personal preference thing. All I'm sayin' is that you need to know what you're getting into.

A 222/234 116lsa blower cam will still have a mean sounding idle, will give you a nice bump in power n/a, won't do the surge shake and buck thing, and will get near stock like fuel eco (as long as you keep your foot out of it). That's the difference between a cam with 13 degrees of overlap and one with a negative 4 degrees of overlap. Less overlap is better manners wise.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
trclee

Thanks for the input. the car is not a daily driver it is just my weekend fun car. so i think i can live with the minor bucking on the low end. the rough idle is the biggest reason for choosing this cam. i think i would be happy with the power the whipple would give with a basic tune and the stock cam. but that sound of a big cam reminds me of when i was young and my dad and uncles were building hot cars. I really appreciate the input.it is nice to have fellow enthusiast help guide me in the right direction.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Thanks for the input. the car is not a daily driver it is just my weekend fun car. so i think i can live with the minor bucking on the low end. the rough idle is the biggest reason for choosing this cam. i think i would be happy with the power the whipple would give with a basic tune and the stock cam. but that sound of a big cam reminds me of when i was young and my dad and uncles were building hot cars. I really appreciate the input.it is nice to have fellow enthusiast help guide me in the right direction.
Sounds like a killer combo. Enjoy
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #22
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
You have a GOOD TUNER
EXcellent shop!
Excellent parts!

Your golden! Your in good hands. Believe it! Keep us posted.
What he said and yeah the Kaotic works great with a Whipple. Ron and the gang was going to put the Kaotic in my car but decided on going with one of their Spec Cams.Run an EForce here. A year later put gas and change the oil once in awhile and stomp on it.Couldn't be happier. They do great work.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
BplumCrazy-SS

Drives: 416 w/TH400
damn mine is closer to 20 degrees of overlap but I love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
A cam with 13 degrees of overlap will have a few issues at slower speeds. Your car will have a bad assed idle, will shake a little at stoplites, will surge and buck a little at 1400 to 1700 rpm in high load low speed situations. Yes, you can shift to a lower gear to get away from that. If you're OK with that, you may be fine with the bigger n/a cam. I've seen it too often where folks get tired of the big cam issues after a while. The other side of that coin, is that some wouldn't have it any other way. It's a personal preference thing. All I'm sayin' is that you need to know what you're getting into.

A 222/234 116lsa blower cam will still have a mean sounding idle, will give you a nice bump in power n/a, won't do the surge shake and buck thing, and will get near stock like fuel eco (as long as you keep your foot out of it). That's the difference between a cam with 13 degrees of overlap and one with a negative 4 degrees of overlap. Less overlap is better manners wise.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
trclee

Vengeance finished my car today and I love the new attitude and sound. I will post Dyno sheets tomorrow. Just a lil feedback for those interested. The car does surge and buck just a little bit but I can live with it. It only happens on decel or very light throttle cruising. The traffic was really heavy today for my 2 hour drive home so I didn't really get a chance to play but I did notice she pulls very smooth and I can tell there is more power when driving in 6th on the highway. I never felt the need to downshift for a larger hill or to pass. And at least 3 different times I stopped at a red light and people were checking it out and rolling down the windows to hear it. Definitely gets attention
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
trclee

Dyno sheet

Dyno results. I already had full exhaust and k&n intake installed before the baseline run.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Dyno results. I already had full exhaust and k&n intake installed before the baseline run.
Your baseline numbers are very high for basic boltons?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
trclee

That's what they said also and I guess there is the age old debate of mustang vs Dynojet who knows? They said that was the highest baseline they'd seen and asked if I had done anything else to the car.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
That's what they said also and I guess there is the age old debate of mustang vs Dynojet who knows? They said that was the highest baseline they'd seen and asked if I had done anything else to the car.
Great numbers nonetheless... Vengeance is a great shop!!! Enjoy!!!