Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Chogan2200

Drives: 96 Cavalier "Scarlet"
Good Choice on GM's Part!!

I know the majority of Camaro and Muscle Car enthusiasts probably all prefer stick shift, but I personally think GM including the Tap Shift or "Shift Tronic" technology into the Automatic Transmissions is a great idea and may attract a different crowd eventually causing the current crowd to grow!

Any thoughts?
Chogan2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Definitely a great move. The 6 speed is awesome too!
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
for the people that can't drive stick and the ones that praise paddles I agree.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I absolutely love it! Most of my Camaros are manual cars but the tap shift allows you to have almost as much fun as a manual but still keep your sanity when in rush hour traffic.

Clutch out and roll a few feet, clutch in, clutch out and roll for a few feet, clutch in, clutch out and roll for a few feet, clutch in.....drives me nuts and I swear my left leg muscles are stronger than my right leg as a result!
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Chogan2200

For some reason I didn't see a 6spd Auto coming! But that just makes me even more excited at the possibilities it can bring!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I like the way it will work as well where the car will redline until you upshift. BMW's set-up sucks because the computer will overide if it thinks you are shifting too soon or too late.
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Im only interessed in an Auto and im not really sure whats this tap shift transmission is

Will i be able to get a plain regular auto trans on the floor like on my 99 firebird
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
for the people that can't drive stick and the ones that praise paddles I agree.
Son, Some people can drive a stick but prefer the automatic......
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Im only interessed in an Auto and im not really sure whats this tap shift transmission is

Will i be able to get a plain regular auto trans on the floor like on my 99 firebird

you dont have to use it.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
ChrisB

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
you dont have to use it.

Cool and thanks for the quick answer
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I absolutely love it! Most of my Camaros are manual cars but the tap shift allows you to have almost as much fun as a manual but still keep your sanity when in rush hour traffic.

Clutch out and roll a few feet, clutch in, clutch out and roll for a few feet, clutch in, clutch out and roll for a few feet, clutch in.....drives me nuts and I swear my left leg muscles are stronger than my right leg as a result!
AMEN! The reason I went to an Automatic Sky was just that reason. I was caught up in traffic for a long time one day, and the next day I could hardly walk because of my left knee was sooo sore... The tap shift will be fun when you want and full auto mode will be great in traffic..
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Chogan2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post

I'll explain the technology to you a little

An Automatic Transmission with "this" technology (also called "Shift Tronic", "Paddle Shifters", "Smart Shift", etc) essentially the default mode is Auto. You drive the car just like any other automatic powered car, just start it, put it in Drive and go! But if you want, you can put it into "M", which stands for "Manual Mode". You can easily take it out but shifting it back into "D". But with Manual Mode, you can control the gear shifts by tapping the shift knob forward to "up" a gear, and tapping it back to go "down" a gear. So it's really a very free reign technology. If you don't like the feeling of having more control over your car and playing with it you can just simply switch it back into "D" and not worry about a thing! Very user friendly technology!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogan2200 View Post
I'll explain the technology to you a little

An Automatic Transmission with "this" technology (also called "Shift Tronic", "Paddle Shifters", "Smart Shift", etc) essentially the default mode is Auto. You drive the car just like any other automatic powered car, just start it, put it in Drive and go! But if you want, you can put it into "M", which stands for "Manual Mode". You can easily take it out but shifting it back into "D". But with Manual Mode, you can control the gear shifts by tapping the shift knob forward to "up" a gear, and tapping it back to go "down" a gear. So it's really a very free reign technology. If you don't like the feeling of having more control over your car and playing with it you can just simply switch it back into "D" and not worry about a thing! Very user friendly technology!
Okay, let's say that you've never driven a manual before, and you've never driven anything with paddle shifters, can you screw up your car if you don't know what your doing, or will it override it if your not doing it right?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote