Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Motor Trend: Camaro SS Convertible vs. Mustang GT Convertible

Name:  camaroconvertible-mustang.jpg
Views: 7687
Size:  72.5 KB

Comparison: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible vs. 2011 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

Dancing Naked in the Rain
January 26, 2011
/ By Jonny Lieberman
/ Photography by Evan Klein

From http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

What we have here is some Alanis Morissette-style irony. No, not ra-ay-ain on your wedding day. Rather, it's the one week when you have a pair of RWD, manny-trannied, V-8 powered, 400-plus horsepower convertible ponycars and Southern California decides to experience the "Storm of the Decade." Did I mention both cars had summer tires? Unlike Alanis's song, ironic isn't the word we'd use, and we can't print the one we would. But like Hunter S. Thompson alluded to, we're here to cover the story. Reviewing convertibles with the sun shining (so to speak) is sine qua non. Knowing that we simply had to remove the roofs despite the inclement weather, we donned full rain gear, dropped them tops and drove the new Camaro SS Convertible and Mustang GT Convertible in the pouring rain. The whole ordeal is a great lesson in making lemonade out of flash floods and mudslides. Besides, can you think of anything more fun than flinging these two mamma-jammas around in the wet while dressed up like the Gorton's Fisherman? Neither could we.

We lived with these two ragtops for a week in bizarre-for-Southern California torrential rain, and are shocked to report that both are livable, real-world propositions -- even with cats and dogs falling all around you. Put another way, these are not your father's ponycars. They did not hydroplane off the road at the first hint of a powerful right foot, an especially impressive feat considering just how much water came down (the Los Angeles Times tells us about an inch per hour during the worst of it). Let's not forget how powerful these headless beasts are. The 5.0 'Stang's 412 hard-revving horses combined with 390 angry pound-feet of torque are slightly bested by 426 macadam-thumping ponies and 420 lb-ft of smoky torque in the 6.2-liter Chevy. Back in the heavily fetishized days of yore, that much mechanical motivation coupled to poor brakes, flexible bodies, and primitive horse and buggy-style suspensions spelled disaster. Not so these days.

Name:  camaroconvertible-mustang1.jpg
Views: 6958
Size:  79.7 KB

So not so, that associate online editor Scott Evans and I headed up to the snaking back roads of Malibu to put these anachronisms through their proper paces. Sadly, if not predictably, the hills above Malibu -- home to some of this country's best driving loops -- had already received 12 inches of rain. And unbeknownst to us, CalTrans was in the process of repaving Malibu Canyon Road and had removed the top layer of asphalt. As the years roll by you learn that certain stereotypes are true. Like the one about Californians not being able to drive in rain. That axiom, and the fact that the road surface was essentially a bunch of slick pebbles, kept our speeds down to around 30 mph for the first 15 miles. Not exactly the best way to conduct a convertible sports car comparison test. However, the second we turned left onto Mulholland, well, our fortunes dramatically improved.

Name:  camaroconvertible-mustang2.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  60.4 KB

Suddenly, and even in the slippery stuff, Evans and I found ourselves on an ideal road with two excellent automobiles. Both cars are fast (obviously), but each was able to handle the slick twists and turns. We here at Motor Trend have long been trumpeting the fact that the new Mustang GT is just as good as the best from Europe (see America's M3? October 2010). As such, we weren't surprised in the slightest that the soft-top version proved to be a proper back-road burner of a sports car. Does its nose still dive like the hardtop when you slam on the brakes? Oh yes, even more so. But hey, convertibles are for cruising, right? We were quite surprised by the headless Camaro's agility and prowess in the canyons. With that big bastard of an LS3 V-8, straight-line performance has never been an issue, but the left and right stuff continually left us wanting. Why? Near catastrophic understeer. Listen, the convertible still sports plenty of understeer (especially when compared to the Mustang), but it's somehow more manageable than the coupe.

Continued at Motor Trend - http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Ouch...not much they liked I guess. I'm getting tired of reading about water leakage, getting worried. Better have it fixed on our production cars!
FirstandFifthGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I wouldn't worry. There are many test cars running around and I'm sure if there was a major flaw they would have caught it by now. The mags are gonna side with the Mustang. That's old news. Doesn't change the fact that the Camaro is a better looking car and people are buying more of them.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I do not understand their beef with the steering wheel and shifter. Not at all...
And what's worse is they bring it up in every 'review'...get over it already.

EDIT:....on another note. GM never lets testers take out sub-par builds without making it obvious as all heck...they should have kept to that rule.

EDIT 2: I stopped reading after about the third paragraph through the Mustang...these guys never fail to disappoint me......"review", my ass.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I do not understand their beef with the steering wheel and shifter. Not at all...
And what's worse is they bring it up in every 'review'...get over it already.

EDIT:....on another note. GM never lets testers take out sub-par builds without making it obvious as all heck...they should have kept to that rule.

EDIT 2: I stopped reading after about the third paragraph through the Mustang...these guys never fail to disappoint me......"review", my ass.

lol +1
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
coolman

I guess it doesn't matter what Motortrend writes as long as the camaro keeps out selling the mustang. It just goes to show the love for a certain brand or model seems to out weigh quality and performance when it comes to cars.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I guess it doesn't matter what Motortrend writes as long as the camaro keeps out selling the mustang. It just goes to show the love for a certain brand or model seems to out weigh quality and performance when it comes to cars.
I think that could hold true for MotorTrend's writers as well, in the opposite sense with which I think you meant that comment.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Lots of convertibles seem to have leakage problems. Convertibles look cool but I've never really wanted to spend the extra money on one. And besides, the cloth-tops are just too easy to slice. Leave your ipod in there for a split second and s-l-i-c-e.

As for the steering wheel, it IS strange.. When driving long distances I find it uncomfortable. I've had my SS since spring 2010.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
GhostOutlaw

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
I ignore MT flat out. In about 100% of comparisons they will say they like how one car has a certain feature, but wont like that EXACT same feature in another car. They are purely interested in brands, not really testing the cars.
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
coolman

Quote:
I think that could hold true for MotorTrend's writers as well, in the opposite sense with which I think you meant that comment.
That very well could be true. I never put much stock in what people write about any car. I know what I like ,and I fell for the camaro hard. Hell, I sold a 2010 GT500 to get my SS.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I know what I like, and I fell for the camaro hard.
That's pretty much where my head's at.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
So what exactly are they complaining about the 9 and 3 hold position issue on the steering wheel? I see both the stang and camaro have solid steering spokes at 9 and 3 positions, so what makes the camaro's more uncomfortable?
FirstandFifthGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
coolman

Quote:
That's pretty much where my head's at.
and I too don't get it with the steering wheel. Maybe I don't drive properly. LOL
Old 01-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandFifthGen View Post
So what exactly are they complaining about the 9 and 3 hold position issue on the steering wheel? I see both the stang and camaro have solid steering spokes at 9 and 3 positions, so what makes the camaro's more uncomfortable?
Quote:
and I too don't get it with the steering wheel. Maybe I don't drive properly. LOL
Apparently it makes their fingers stick out straight....I think they need to see some good doctors....