Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
ZL585patrick

Drives: 2011 Camaro ZL585 Convertible
Exclamation 6in of Water in battery compartment!

2011 Convertible

Went to disconnect my battery and noticed my trunk was full of water in that battery hole. The floor was dry already so it's hard to tell where it came from. There is water that you can feel inside there convertible top when it's halfway up, not that much maybe 8oz on each back corner of where the top settles into.

I tried to find other posts about this issue, but everyone I found just had a wet floorboard...not a few gallons that almost submerges my battery.

I am kinda clueless on how convertibles water management systems work, but I'm thinking it has to do with the water bag or maybe the drain is just draining right into the trunk?? I would like to check the drains and water bag, but don't know where're they are. This is the second time I've had to get rid of standing water in my trunk, please help!
ZL585patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
my 2 cents. Mine has had water in the back floor well from the flaps on the mechanism on either side. In the battery well sounds like water bag or drain tube issues.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
there are 2 plastic drain tubes located on the rear of the water bag that plug into a holow body area that runs across the upper front edge of the trunk. They snap into the body and held in by a groove cut in the tube. If the tube is not pushed all the way in they can leak straight down into the trunk and battery well. Make sure they are snaped in. With the roof partially retracted you can feel in wth your hand. The tube had a slit cut in it that enables it to be compresed when inserting in the body hole. A groove is partial cut arround the tube to snap and retain it.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Shoot a hole in the bottom of your battery well.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
ZL585patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
there are 2 plastic drain tubes located on the rear of the water bag that plug into a holow body area that runs across the upper front edge of the trunk. They snap into the body and held in by a groove cut in the tube. If the tube is not pushed all the way in they can leak straight down into the trunk and battery well. Make sure they are snaped in. With the roof partially retracted you can feel in wth your hand. The tube had a slit cut in it that enables it to be compresed when inserting in the body hole. A groove is partial cut arround the tube to snap and retain it.
Thanks! I'll check that out in the next week, since it's in storage like 30mins away.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
ZL585patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Shoot a hole in the bottom of your battery well.
I did put a small pin hole in the plug under the battery
Old 12-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
you could probably drill a couple of 1/4 in holes in that rubber plug, it will drain out but not come in.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:14 AM   #8
DaddySS
Kept The Faith

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
There is a TSB specifically for water in the trunk from the drain tubes, I'll try to find it.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:08 AM   #9
Minority1
Misdeal

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LT
Did you ever fix your issue with water in your battery well?
Minority1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:12 PM   #10
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
From my experience, water in the floor is from the front drains or leaks in the bag (which is what I have), water in the battery is from the back of the bag where they added the drains in the update. There is an update to the bag with 4 drains instead of 2 but GM doesn’t make either one anymore. The proper way is to take the top off and repair the bag. Or make your own drain holes. That makes me twitch.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
MC in Hanover

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT Conv
For what its worth GM chassis sealant failures will get voids causing rainwater slung up by the wheels to get trapped in interior areas like passenger compartments (wet floors) and trunk bottoms. Happened to me with a 2001 Olds Aurora and 2006 Pontiac Solstice. Both cured by technicians putting high intensity lights into places like the rocker panel openings in a dark garage and look for the openings.
MC in Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote