Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
TheDayday

Drives: 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
Has anyone upgraded their exhaust?

The first thing I want to do with my vert is upgrade the exhaust system to get a meaner sound. My first choice was the JBA super sport setup, but according to JBA they have no plans to support the convertible. Borla is testing their exhausts and won't have an answer for a month or two. By then the summer will be over.

So as far as I know right now, there's really no exhaust system for the convertible. Has anyone tried custom fitting other exhaust systems in their convertible? How difficult was it? How much did it cost?
TheDayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Service@RevolutionStyling
Account Suspended

Drives: 5th Gen Camaros
We did our own with magnaflow components , we were suprised when we looked under the cars. since we did center exhaust everything was in the way...lol We also added to the problem by installing a Turbonetics 600hp kit on , so we had alot of shoehornin to do.
Service@RevolutionStyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We carry Stainless Works exhaust. I haven't updated the page yet but they offer an optional convertable kit to make all their 3" exhaust fit. If you interested shoot me a pm and I'll get a good price on a kit!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
TheDayday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service@RevolutionStyling View Post
We did our own with magnaflow components , we were suprised when we looked under the cars. since we did center exhaust everything was in the way...lol We also added to the problem by installing a Turbonetics 600hp kit on , so we had alot of shoehornin to do.
Wow, that sounds like a bear of a job. So how did you guys get the "things" in the way... out of the way? How many hours did it take? I've seen products from Magnaflow listed as "convertible compatible," although I don't know what that entails. I'm guessing it means it won't fit without modification/customization, but that goes for any exhaust system out there right now if it's installed on a vert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
We carry Stainless Works exhaust. I haven't updated the page yet but they offer an optional convertable kit to make all their 3" exhaust fit. If you interested shoot me a pm and I'll get a good price on a kit!
Thanks, I'll definitely be keeping you bookmarked. I'm going to look up vids of Stainless Works to see how it sounds. Like I said, my main choice was JBA super sport, but they want nothing to do with the vert. My default choice became the ATAK, but I'm not going to let the summer slip away for them to come out with something. This is what I want to mod the day the car is delivered. The other issue I will have also is that my vert will have ground effects, so it's a double whammy. Does Stainless Works manufacture them for convertible GFX kits also?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
has anyone upgraded their exhaust....thats like asking if anyone has put gas in their car...lol....J/k....
Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Service@RevolutionStyling
Account Suspended

Drives: 5th Gen Camaros
lol.... we had to remove the front bracing for the intercooler and such , we also removed the tunnel brace for now because the wastegates and everything was hitting that. Then in the rear about 4 hrs of custom bending to go around that little support box in the middle of the car. ill get some pics for you and post. It really turned out great.
Service@RevolutionStyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
TheDayday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
has anyone upgraded their exhaust....thats like asking if anyone has put gas in their car...lol....J/k....
Hahaha, very true! Right now there's really nothing out there. I'm not running with the weak stock exhaust all summer. Stainless Works that Juiced1 suggested is what I'm going to be doing some research on tonight since I've never heard of them before.

The exhaust and the Metra kit are going to be my only mods. I want to get it done the day I pick up the car. That's why I'm curious if other vert owners out there have gone the fully customized route to get what they want instead of waiting for the big boys like Borla, Magnaflow, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service@RevolutionStyling View Post
lol.... we had to remove the front bracing for the intercooler and such , we also removed the tunnel brace for now because the wastegates and everything was hitting that. Then in the rear about 4 hrs of custom bending to go around that little support box in the middle of the car. ill get some pics for you and post. It really turned out great.
JC, that's a ton of work!!! I unfortunately would never consider taking out any of the bracing for safety/warranty/resale reasons (and probably labor costs involved lol). You guys should make a separate topic on it with pics and video, would love to see/hear it!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
There are a few exhaust upgrades available right from GM accessories. The Vert I had onorder was ordered with the exahust upgrade. I bought a Vert off a local dealer instead (long story), and I've asked the dealer to install that same GM Exhaust upgrade on my new Vert.
They've already checked the part numbers to insure it fill fit my 2SS/RS M6 Vert. The car goes into the shop on Monday so we shall see.
They do list different packages for v8/v6's as well as with/without GFX, but the descriptions don't mention Vert/Coupe.
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Che...1%5Btype%5D=gm
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
1981 Z28
TRIPLE BLACK 2SS/RS VERT

Drives: 1981 Z28 Blue with Blue Stripes
I have put the ATAK axle back on my vert and the only problem I ran into is the hangers don't line up and keep the exhaust tips in the center of the holes so you have to bend to hangers to center it. Sounds great with the top down and sounds even better with the top up.

1981 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
As long as the aftermarket exhaust follows the EXACT route of the factory exhaust then it will fit coupe or vert. The bracing in the rear is where the problem lies with most aftermarket exhaust systems.

Buy a couple of one chamber FlowMasters and have them welded in with the factory tips. That would sound like the JBA..Loud and Mean. You already have 2.5" exhaust all the way back.

Just my o2
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I have the solo performance cat back installed on my vert. And I can tell you since I have both the coupe and the vert that the exhaust is different and hannger point are different due to the bracing. Some bend modifications were needed along with hanger mods to get the exhaust fitted correctly.
Can't praise the solo guys enough on getting this system on my vert. This is the best sounding system out there and is also tuneable with j-pipes.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
As has been well documented, I tried the Flow Master American Thunder system on mine in Feb- FAR from even close! FMs working on a vert system now, I've read of people w Borla and I think Corsa as well used on verts here. (Cat-back) as I assume most axle backs should fit without much issue.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
I had the Borla S-type cat-back installed. Took the guys only 30 minutes to get it in, so no probs with that.
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #14
Augie1978

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Vert
I installed the SLP LM II, sounds good but when I let off of it at low idle sometimes it sounds like a damn bubble machine or something.