Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #15
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
to second the above post, while porting heads on a stock motor (as the only mod) are netting between 20-30 HP, you may not see that exact gain with the other mods you have in place----though, with heads, I have also heard that with a cam and headers that could maximize the improved flow characteristics from headwork, you may actually get better numbers in some cases (though one blown motor noticed an actual drop in HP from a head swap due to the super aggressive cam installed).

I went through the same research...several head folks can provide you a cast head with ported improvements, or will take your stock heads and do the work. Price varies...alot.

GMPP is the most moderate, Scoggin Dickey will do for $750 (including springs/retainers/valves)...and shows 25-30HP increases. Prices and options go up from there. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #16
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Must third above. The fast intake will not give you the gains you suspect. I have seen a fast intake actually lower hp/torque numbers. A fast is good for a FI build but not so much NA. When building your motor you need to keep in mind that parts affect each other. If you mill the heads you could induce piston slap (with valves). Once the milling is done, the only alternative is thicker gaskets. Milling can also affect intake fitment. The motor already has almost 11:1 factory which is quite substantial on the non-forged bottom end. If you go stroker you will see the gains you are looking for. You will also be solving the bottom end weakness (if you go forged) and you can expect a longer life on the engine. Just my .02
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
blk5genss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Well thank you all for your input!! This thread has done exactly what I wanted it too! It has helped me a lot in my decision making process, if I do go blower then I think I will make well over 575 but then I know myself, I will start breaking stuff, plus this is my DD! So I think for now I may just do the gears, axles, and tires till there is more R&D done on this particular subject! I don't want to deal with the whole belt slippage issues, fuel system upgrades, and breaking other parts on the car! This is my 10th hot rod and I know how everything works and doesn't work together, so now I try to do as much research as I can instead of wasting money like I did in the past! Had plenty of 11 second cars and 1 truck, but never with this few of mods or on a small block! These LS motors are amazing!! That is why I don't know how to go about upgrading the cylinder heads on this beast?! Yes a blower car would beat me from a roll on the freeway but that is not what I consider racing, I try my best to keep it on the track, going to jail isn't fun now that I'm 32!! Did a lot of silly stuff as a kid but learned my lesson's!! I like to go from a dead stop, and most FI cars have traction issues, but I also like my cars being N/A so I will more than likely not go that route, just personal prefference! Maybe a stroker down the road, but I would like to wait till the motor needs to be rebuilt, I just paid 31K for this car so I am not in a rush to put another motor together if I don't have too!!
blk5genss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk5genss View Post
Well thank you all for your input!! This thread has done exactly what I wanted it too! It has helped me a lot in my decision making process, if I do go blower then I think I will make well over 575 but then I know myself, I will start breaking stuff, plus this is my DD! So I think for now I may just do the gears, axles, and tires till there is more R&D done on this particular subject! I don't want to deal with the whole belt slippage issues, fuel system upgrades, and breaking other parts on the car! This is my 10th hot rod and I know how everything works and doesn't work together, so now I try to do as much research as I can instead of wasting money like I did in the past! Had plenty of 11 second cars and 1 truck, but never with this few of mods or on a small block! These LS motors are amazing!! That is why I don't know how to go about upgrading the cylinder heads on this beast?! Yes a blower car would beat me from a roll on the freeway but that is not what I consider racing, I try my best to keep it on the track, going to jail isn't fun now that I'm 32!! Did a lot of silly stuff as a kid but learned my lesson's!! I like to go from a dead stop, and most FI cars have traction issues, but I also like my cars being N/A so I will more than likely not go that route, just personal prefference! Maybe a stroker down the road, but I would like to wait till the motor needs to be rebuilt, I just paid 31K for this car so I am not in a rush to put another motor together if I don't have too!!
I would seriously talk to this guy a little before you make a decision. He is now down in Texas and has an incredible background in this area working for Reher-Morrison. What he has worked on sounds very similar to what yo are looking for.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42255

Here, check out this page for his background. This what he teaches.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=42255&page=5
Old 05-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
Stay Marine
Still love daily drivin'

Drives: Built '10 IBM 2SS; '15 Black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
I would seriously talk to this guy a little before you make a decision. He is now down in Texas and has an incredible background in this area working for Reher-Morrison. What he has worked on sounds very similar to what yo are looking for.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42255

Here, check out this page for his background. This what he teaches.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=42255&page=5
Nice catch, I've been following his thread and just forgot to include his options.

Oh yeah, I am porting the heads, and possibly opening up the CC to drop the compression a little as I add the blower in the upcoming build....all that really remains is finding a stinking cam that will maximize the flow from the heads....though many stage II cams would be a good fit (like the TSP 231/236) from what I have read.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:

I have had plenty of cars and have done a lot of research on the build you where thinking of, pretty much what I was thinking. But to have that build you definatly need a good set of MT tires and a drag set up to get a blower car. I did a lot of stuff when I was a kid also, and not everyone now days goes from a dead stop, hence they break more parts. Hence why I said roll race, and hwy race ect. I am 37, and a lot of cars I see out playing are well over 800+rwhp. Good luck on your decision on what to do build wise. Either way your going to spend money, just spend it right the first time and get what you want. I want to be at 700rwhp if I go blower, if I do full bolt on's I want and think I can get to 515-520 ish with stock compression, but probably changing out my TSP cam and getting the G6X3 cam, for the extra rwhp.

J
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
Do something different then the rest of the heard. The ls3 is a very good head but its a bit much for a 6.2 litter. Most people gain 20 rwhp just by milling which proves its too much head. Get some tfs 225 heads milled to 62 cc and a lg g6x3 cam along with a fast 102 and you will hit 530 rwhp or better. That same combo just made 525 on a ls2. Before you flame consider this. The tfs 225 at 62 cc will give a full point compression bump. If i were in shoes I would do it in a heartbeat.
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
blk5genss

@ JETG I agree if you want 700+ hp then yes you need a power adder, but like the thread that Speedster and Stay Marine spoke about, 500-550 is exactly where I want to be, what fun is there in spinning at 80-90 MPH? One of my oldest and good friends back home a C6 Z06 that is making 1000 HP to the wheels right now! The car is insane, but he drive my car the same night it was dynoed and told me that he missed having a car that was that much fun on the street! I rarely look for street races anymore, but I like driving fast anf taking corners! I still want something that will be an all around fun car that I can give to my son in a few years to drive to school, and for now I like that I can take it on trips with both of my sons and the silly dog whenever we decide to take it! I have never had a car with a roll cage and I don't want one ever, so if I stay in the mid 11's around the 120's I will be just fine! The purpose of the car was to have an all around fun car not a drag car, or a autocross car! If it hits over 500 ok if not then I will be happy with 499 I guess!

@ redsap05 funny you mentioned them I was actually looking at those same heads not too long ago, only I thought they are cathedral port heads? Wouldn't I have to change the intake? I don't get hung up on huge port sizes anymore, I look at the flow created by the velocity of the port. I have learned that over the years that sometimes larger ports the velocity dies down and therefore looses power! So has anyone put these heads on an LS3 yet?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
Quote:

@ redsap05 funny you mentioned them I was actually looking at those same heads not too long ago, only I thought they are cathedral port heads? Wouldn't I have to change the intake? I don't get hung up on huge port sizes anymore, I look at the flow created by the velocity of the port. I have learned that over the years that sometimes larger ports the velocity dies down and therefore looses power! So has anyone put these heads on an LS3 yet?
Nobody has done the ls3 yet, the closest would be the famous pat g swap where he ditched ls3 heads for cathedral afrs and made 520 to the tire through an A6
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #24
bowtieguy66

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Wasn't there a thread that said that the stock intake ported made more power than the FAST intake. I would spend those moneys else where.
bowtieguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #25
blk5genss

Already have the fast intake, also the thread I found said the unported fast mde more power. However what everone else fails to realize is that they are looking at peak power not the average power across the entire powerband! The fast inatke is expensive but in my eyes worth the money compared to the NW 102 TB! You do however have to at least have a cam to notice the difference and once heads are added to the mix the power really becomes noticeable! I will have to look for the thread on Pat's set up though, I remeber reading about it a while back in GMHT I think?
TSP Cam 231/236 112 LSA,TSP UD,Fast 102 w/Ported TB,AirAid CAI,1 7/8 catted Stainless Power LT,3 IN MBRP 3 in Exhaust/180*,Spohn LTA's,Toe Links, Drag Bar,Diff bushings,Hurst shifter,Hendrix/DSS 1400HP Axles,Nitto NT555R's,Lethal Performance Custon Tune 480 RWHP 454 RWTQ!! Best run so far is 11.94@121 LPE 3.91's Coming soon NW 102, and DSS DS, then car should be complete!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #26
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Nitrous
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote