Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Silver has been dethroned...

White Hot
Silver loses its long-held top spot as the most popular car color.

by Althea Chang provided by: Forbes Autos

After seven years wearing the color crown, silver has been dethroned.

For the first time this century, more white cars were manufactured in 2007 than those in any other color, according to DuPont’s most recent color study.

In North America, 19 percent of vehicles manufactured in 2007 were either white or "pearl white," which is white with an iridescent or metallic sheen. Eighteen percent of 2007 vehicles were silver, and 16 percent were black, including black with metallic effects.

White has also taken a decisive lead in other countries, including Japan and Mexico. In Europe, however, black was far and away the top color. See the charts below for the full breakdown.

White had an even stronger showing among luxury cars, where it made up 22 percent of vehicles manufactured in 2007 (5 percent of those were pearl white) and tied with the color black. Silver was the next most common color for luxury cars in 2007, at 20 percent. "Our report is based on quantities of paint sold to OEMs [original equipment manufacturers], production data they share with us, and other sources,” says DuPont spokesperson Rick Straitman.

The color white is increasingly dominant, not just in the auto industry, but in home furnishings, fashion, consumer products, and industrial design, says Leatrice Eiseman, director of the Pantone Color Institute.

White was the most popular color among Chevrolet and Ford buyers, according to J.D. Power and Associates' Power Information Network, which tracks consumers’ buying habits. Dodge buyers preferred red, while BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz buyers gravitated toward black.

White is also a popular color for so-called fleet vehicles, which are cars and trucks used commercially, such as by power companies and rental agencies, says Global Insight analyst John Wolkonowicz.

Despite white's victory in 2007, silver will still likely be the dominant color on the roads for some time. "Given silver's popularity over the past seven years and the fact that it is still a popular color choice, you should expect to see a high number of silver vehicles on the road for the coming years," says Karen Surcina, color marketing and technology manager at DuPont.

Considering that the average vehicle is on the road for 13 years, according to U.S. Department of Transportation estimates, it could take a decade or more for silver cars to start thinning out, and that’s only if the color decreases in popularity. "When silver first came on the scene [in the mid to late 1990s], it was a high-tech color that corresponded with people's interest in technology and the future," Surcina says. Then the tech bubble burst and the economy started to suffer. As time went on, silver became a “safe” color that consumers could opt for and not worry about it standing out too much, or turning off potential buyers when it came time to resell their vehicles.

Even if white continues to swell in popularity and sparkling particles give the color new life, the trends may not be seen on highways and in driveways for some time. "While palate-cleansing white is expected to usher in a new era in car colors and iridescent paints, and sparkling mica particles and unusual effects are gaining popularity among more adventurous types, most car buyers are still sticking with safe colors like silver and black,” says Christopher Li, industry analyst at the Power Information Network.

Name:  autos_content_landing_pages-490867916-1200696243.jpg
Views: 6434
Size:  46.3 KB

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
From the first time seeing the Concept coupe, I've wanted my new Camaro to look just like it, in silver.

But I've also be partial to white. My first Camaro was white, and of the 5 Camaro's I've owned, 3 were white. Seeing the photoshop by Dragoneye, (white w/ black stripes) I'm rethinking my color choice.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

IMHO white hides to many body lines and there are to many “A@@ KICKING” body lines on the Camaro to be hiding...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
Old 01-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
IMHO white hides to many body lines and there are to many “A@@ KICKING” body lines on the Camaro to be hiding...
I've always felt just the opposite. Black hides all the body lines because it shows no shadows and drowns out highlights.

White and Silver are my 2 favorite colors on cars. My Xtreme was white, my Camaro was Silver and my Aveo is silver. But I think my Camaro is going to be white.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
camarocrazy28

Drives: 2013 SS
How much does color affect your buying choice when you buy from dealer inventory? Are people actually ordering more white cars or are manufacturers just painting more of them white? I' ve gotten lucky the last three times I' ve purchased a car, the dealer has always had the color I wanted, red. I think my Camaro will be black, with silver ralley stripes, if they are available.
camarocrazy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Frankly...every Car I've ever seen seems to have "its own" color. You know, that one that just looks amazing on it. However, that's not always the color I want to own. And that's not to say that all the other colors don't fit - quite the contrary.

Think...."All Corvettes are Red" But the blue, and steel (ZR1) looks friggin amazing, too!

And the 3rd Gen Camaro's always sent chills down my spine when seen in IROC blue.....

The Camaro (all generations) on the other hand seems to have this unusual ability to look freaking amazing in ALL colors. I can't think of one that it wouldn't look good in. But Metallic colors will be the winning colors on this car. The angles, and lines just stand out sooooo much more when covered with metallic paint.

Having said that - I think that Silver/ZR1 steel is for me.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I've always felt just the opposite. Black hides all the body lines because it shows no shadows and drowns out highlights.

White and Silver are my 2 favorite colors on cars. My Xtreme was white, my Camaro was Silver and my Aveo is silver. But I think my Camaro is going to be white.
You are correct, black also hides just as much as white if not more…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Frankly...every Car I've ever seen seems to have "its own" color. You know, that one that just looks amazing on it. However, that's not always the color I want to own. And that's not to say that all the other colors don't fit - quite the contrary.

Think...."All Corvettes are Red" But the blue, and steel (ZR1) looks friggin amazing, too!

And the 3rd Gen Camaro's always sent chills down my spine when seen in IROC blue.....

The Camaro (all generations) on the other hand seems to have this unusual ability to look freaking amazing in ALL colors. I can't think of one that it wouldn't look good in. But Metallic colors will be the winning colors on this car. The angles, and lines just stand out sooooo much more when covered with metallic paint.

Having said that - I think that Silver/ZR1 steel is for me.:thumbsup
:
+1

Team LS3
Old 01-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The metallic will draw attention from my stripes, but it won't overpower the overall beauty of this beast.

White > all. So many colors go with it, that's why it's become the most popular color. Black shows EVERYTHING including spider webs. White is hard to keep clean but looks PRISTINE.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
White > all. So many colors go with it, that's why it's become the most popular color. Black shows EVERYTHING including spider webs. White is hard to keep clean but looks PRISTINE.
I'm going to disagree with you on that, black, when clean has a shine white can't touch. White just doesn't shine like every other color.

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
black, when clean
Black is never clean more than 5 minutes. Period.

White will be more forgiving with dust and dirt, it still will be white, just not as "shiney"

Personally living in a desert with dust and heat, white is the only way to go for me, unless its one of these new "off" white pearlesents that look like crude. Then I will have to go with a red.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
All ya'll make good points....black is freakin great, but you'd better be ready to wash it all the time. And, in weather like we're having right now (where the ground is constantly wet) you might as well not even bother about washing your car for weeks on end....and it sucks driving around in a beautifully dirty sports car all the time. But, when it's clean.....WOW.

White is nice...especially the pearlized metallic 'off white.' It looks great. When dirty, it doesn't show as much. But, it will never have the "pop", IMO, as black does when the sun hits it. Yes, it'll look nice. But, you know.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
White is nice...especially the pearlized metallic 'off white.' It looks great.
I have to disagree with that. the 'off white' type colors that seem to be popular on cars today just look like they're dirty all the time to me.

I like a bright pure white. I want my Camaro in a white like the Arctic White of years past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
When dirty, it doesn't show as much. But, it will never have the "pop", IMO, as black does when the sun hits it.
And when the sun hits it it will show, even when clean, every swirl mark, hairline scratch, water spot, etc... White (and silver) show none of those.

Black IS stunning, but just WAY too much work for too little 'stun time'. LOL
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm liken' all the colors, and I wouldn't rethink owning any of them - however, I've always been partial to how metallic silvers (much like the concepts) tend to radiate light whenever the littlest bit of sun hits it. They just SHINE!!! and somtimes BLIND!!

If not silver, runner up would probably be black, then Hugger Orange.

I wouldn't mind at all having white one (as I said above)...but there's just not enough going on with white for me to give that Wow! factor.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
i think the blue on the corvettes would look pretty good on the camaro. but i 3-stage paint always make something look better than a 2-stage paint job