Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Ticking Noise Coming From Engine Bay (Video)

Over the last week I've noticed a distinct ticking noise coming from my car at idle. I can hear it from the intirior. I open the hood to listen and it seems much too loud for anything normal. Can you guys take a listen and give suggestions as to weather its normal or if I should take it to the dealership? I'm going on a long trip next week (getting headers and a dyno tune at JDP motorsports) and I want to be sure its noting that's going to cause problems such as lifter issues or something, and am hop[ing it's just noise from my fuel injectors. Current mods are listed in my sig, but doubt any of them are the culprit. Engine is an LS3 with just under 12,000 miles. Oil is changed every 3,000 miles and is currently at normal level. Oil pressure is 30 psi at idle. Thanks in advance!

Here's the video, I tried to get sound from as many areas as I thought necessary.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
don't quote me on this, but it could be the valves are gunked up and sticking a bit. i noticed you dont have a catch can and oil build-up in the intake and top engine can cause the valves to not function at their best. since these cars have direct injection, the fuel and cleaning detergents in the fuel do not reach the top engine. using seafoam or another top engine cleaner might solve this issue and possibly bring a bit of performance back to the car if there has been any loss that may be caused by that top engine gunk.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Powhusku

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post
don't quote me on this, but it could be the valves are gunked up and sticking a bit. i noticed you dont have a catch can and oil build-up in the intake and top engine can cause the valves to not function at their best. since these cars have direct injection, the fuel and cleaning detergents in the fuel do not reach the top engine. using seafoam or another top engine cleaner might solve this issue and possibly bring a bit of performance back to the car if there has been any loss that may be caused by that top engine gunk.
Actually I have an Rx Catchcan on order as we speak! Probably wont do the seafoam though since I've seen way too many mixed reviews.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Mine sounded somewhat like that. It ended up being the ac compressor. Replaced under warranty.
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
BOSS_HOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post
OP, these engines are NOT direct injected so fuel injector noise is non issue. The LS3 does have a distinct ticking noise at idle but judging from the video your noise is different. BEFORE you get the headers and dyno tune I would take it to the dealer to have them check it out...
2010 2SS/RS 1 7/8" Long Tube American Racing Headers w/high flow cats, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Shifter, JRE 445 Street Cam Package tuned via SCT, Pedders Street 1 Kit.
BOSS_HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Powhusku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4it View Post
Mine sounded somewhat like that. It ended up being the ac compressor. Replaced under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS_HOSS View Post
OP, these engines are NOT direct injected so fuel injector noise is non issue. The LS3 does have a distinct ticking noise at idle but judging from the video your noise is different. BEFORE you get the headers and dyno tune I would take it to the dealer to have them check it out...
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take it in tomorrow morning so I can get this fixed ASAP. Hope it's noting major.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Medic726

Drives: 2020 Camaro convertible RS Auto
I agree with Out4it. I had a similar noise that ended up being the ac compressor as well.
Medic726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Medic726

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204834
heres my video
Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Powhusku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic726 View Post
Yep, sound kinda similar.

Took the car to the dealership and this time the ticking noise wasn't there. Luckily I took the video when I did, but also the power-steering pump was making a weird suction noise so that will likely need to be worked on to. :(
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Medic726

I had the same issue, noise was gone when I got to the dealership. I showed them my video but ended up having to make a few trips. Point out the ac compressor, thats a known issue.