Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Could Accessories Affect My Order?

I've been reading that people that have ordered hurst shifter kit, which aren't due out till Q3 2009 are in jeporady of not having their order pulled because it is on constraint. And a couple of people have gone to their dealer to remove this from their order so it will be pulled. I didn't order the hurst shifter but I ordered the air filter, headers, and exhaust which aren't due out till Q2 - Q3 2009. I guess they are also on constraint. Will this affect my order from being pulled?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Yes, you will wait and others will get your production slot unless you drop those options that are on constraint.

You might just want to do the options as dealer add-ons after the car arrives so you can get it sooner.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
well... either my dealer took them off and put them on as dealer add ons or they are not affecting your orders ability as my 2ss went in a weeks a half ago and is at 3000 currently.

i too ordered the cai, headers, and exhaust (and hurst shifter but that was def removed).
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I did'nt think accesories could hold a order up. Those are items you get from
the dealership. ..rite?
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 2010 2SS: Blown LSX 376-B15
Dealer stuff doesn't hold up orders. You take the car home and bring it back when the stuff is available. I thought the hurst shifter was always installed at the factory, which is why it is called a constraint. A constraint IN BUILDING THE CAR. Now the shifter will have to be dealer installed for those who changed their order, but still want it.
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
soccer1061287

Drives: Chevelle
Hurst Shifter

I am an engineer on the Camaro program. The issue with the Hurst shifter is that it was first intended as a dealer option, but because of the high take rate on this option, there was consideration given to installing it at Oshawa. What comes into play there is that there is a higher level of validation testing required when it becomes an RPO. That testing has not been done. Also, there is discussion regarding the viability of this shifter for the number of customers that have ordered it. The Hurst shifter has a 4.1:1 ratio which is much smaller than the stock shifter (higher shift efforts and less isolation).I know that is fine for us drag racers and such, but the average Joe who orders this shifter will be surprised at the higher efforts. If it is done at the dealer, it involves dropping the exhaust and the back of the trans to get to the shifter.
soccer1061287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer1061287 View Post
I am an engineer on the Camaro program. The issue with the Hurst shifter is that it was first intended as a dealer option, but because of the high take rate on this option, there was consideration given to installing it at Oshawa. What comes into play there is that there is a higher level of validation testing required when it becomes an RPO. That testing has not been done. Also, there is discussion regarding the viability of this shifter for the number of customers that have ordered it. The Hurst shifter has a 4.1:1 ratio which is much smaller than the stock shifter (higher shift efforts and less isolation).I know that is fine for us drag racers and such, but the average Joe who orders this shifter will be surprised at the higher efforts. If it is done at the dealer, it involves dropping the exhaust and the back of the trans to get to the shifter.
wow. that install's quite a bit more involved than most of us imagined! thanks for the update!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
wow. that install's quite a bit more involved than most of us imagined! thanks for the update!
+1, thanks for the update and welcome to the site soccer
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
soccer1061287

Drives: Chevelle
Hurst Shifter

Actually the installation is not as nasty as it sounds. If you can get access to a hoist, you can do this in about an hour. You will need 2 of those tall jack stands. One to keep the exhaust from dropping too far in the back that the tips hit the rear valence and the other to control the drop of the rear of the trans. I think that 99% of you are going to perfectly happy with the stock shifter. It gives a nice solid feel and if you shift aggressively, I would say that I have never missed a shift, even on the 2-3 or 4-5.
soccer1061287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Riderover40

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
GM Engineeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer1061287 View Post
Welcome man ! I am an past GM engineer but unique! I worked at GM Locomotive , then GM Defence ! since bought out by General Dynamics! I am a project engineer in the Stryker program in London, Ontario, Canada.......we build the US Army's Sryker light amoured vehicle..... Kudos to alll members of the US defence departments !! The Stryker is also built in Anniston, Alabama guys!
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote