Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
New PS3 80Gig - Is it ok not to have memory cards and 2 usbs?

Hey guys,

I know the new 80gig PS3 can no longer play PS2 games, has only 2usbs and no longer accepts memory cards... my question is, is this still a good buy or should i look for the older 80gig and if i need to look for the older one, where can i buy it?

THANKS!
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Memory cards arent an issue, because you can simply go out, buy any old laptop drive (SATA I believe) and plug it in as a giant memory stick. That's why I picked my old 40gig up at a discount, and then went over to Best Buy and checked out terabyte drives. Best bang for your memory buck, to be honest.

I'd also look into downloading emulators for the PS2 and placing it on a backup drive that you can plug in for playing PS2 games. Should work as that was how some 80gigs used to do it. But this is also dependent on whether or not they changed the read head on the disk reader. <_<

Sony dudes probably did it, though.. sneaky bastards.

Also, get Killzone and Fallout. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun~ Fallout's a little bit of a letdown though because of the lack of add on packs from Bethesda. Fkkin' Microsoft..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
If I was u I'd go on eBay n look for a 60gb one. Best overall value. Plays ps2 games, nd has a good amount of memory. And b sure to get cod world at war. Epic game

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Keedy
Should have waited...

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX8
PS3 is never worth it.

This year, they're about to almost maybe hit their stride with games that make it worth it... this year. right after the economic flat line. lets see how many people are willing to shell out 400 bucks for a system to play those 60-70 dollar games...

Bad launch... bad console, and new this year: bad timing.
Keedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
And the 360 is aging tech by now. Sure they have the add ons and a faster graphic processor, but what else can they do?

Online play: Pay for it (wireless extra too)
Drive upgrades: pay for it and limited
Video play: HD DVD and DVD only (Blu ray will be extra..)
Video Quality: 720p, but good I'll admit.

PS3 Online play: Free
Drive upgrades: pay for it, but theoretically limitless into the terabyte range.
Video play: Blu-ray and DVD
Video Quality: My only gripe. "1080p my ass," Fallout is :/ in the graphics category when looking at console/console comparisons. Data processor is totally crazy though.

I think, in the end the PS3 ended up being Entertainment first, Game Console second. And that's how they're marketing it now as opposed to the 360 which is still being marketed as a game console over an entertainment unit. I still love it though and hate MS for their 'cockblock' of add ons for the PS3 version of Fallout.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Keedy
Should have waited...

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
And the 360 is aging tech by now. Sure they have the add ons and a faster graphic processor, but what else can they do?

Online play: Pay for it (wireless extra too)
Drive upgrades: pay for it and limited
Video play: HD DVD and DVD only (Blu ray will be extra..)
Video Quality: 720p, but good I'll admit.

PS3 Online play: Free
Drive upgrades: pay for it, but theoretically limitless into the terabyte range.
Video play: Blu-ray and DVD
Video Quality: My only gripe. "1080p my ass," Fallout is :/ in the graphics category when looking at console/console comparisons. Data processor is totally crazy though.

I think, in the end the PS3 ended up being Entertainment first, Game Console second. And that's how they're marketing it now as opposed to the 360 which is still being marketed as a game console over an entertainment unit. I still love it though and hate MS for their 'cockblock' of add ons for the PS3 version of Fallout.

360 may be aging tech, but its efficient in that all of it is used. MS made a console that was middle-market cost wise, and top end of what the developers could develop for.

The PS3 has more power than any developer will ever use, or ever could use. This isn't like a car, where you spend 20,000 more for a crazy v-8 that you might use on the track some day just for the heck of it. this is a console that costs around 200 more for tech you physically cannot use because nobody can take advantage of it yet. And by the time its power can be fully used, there will be more effective, efficient, and cheaper methods.

Also, the xbox doesn't have an internal HD-DVD player. HD-DVD is an extra separate device the same as blu-ray will be. Which is fine... because even though blu-ray won the HD war, its too expensive to be of any consumer interest. The image quality of both was equal to DVD, and the only improvement was sound quality. Another element where you don't have the ability to get the full potential out of it. Its 360 vs PS3 all over again. Sure you could pay $200 for more expensive movies, with no appreciable improvement to viewer experience... but unless you're just looking for a reason to burn money, why bother?

Last edited by Keedy; 02-24-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: forgot to negate appreciable.
Keedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
i dont use my ps3 ever...ill sell it if the right guy with the right price comes along....

my ps3 is the 80gb motorcross version which has the memory card slot usb ports backwards compatible ps2 game ect ect ect

let me know
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
most def... im saying PS3 because i'm a tekken fan (tekken 5 dr is only on PS3). also the controller is better for street fighter 4. i've heard xbox is better this time around but i think i'd get more out of the PS3
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote