Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Steezy

Drives: 2012 SS
GM competition for Hellcat

Hello guys. Im new here and don't know how things go so bear with me. Anyways, I was wondering what you guys think GM will do to compete with the Hellcat. Now the most obvious answer is GM putting the LT4 engine in the new ZL1. But with the Hellcat having over 700 hp do you think it will be able to compete with it. I know the Hellcat is heavy but that is a lot of hp and I don't think that will be enough to compete with it. Also I heard Ford is in the works of making a 700 hp GT500. So here is my prediction. I hope GM makes a new LT engine and make a twin turbo V8. They have done turbo engines now obviously with the 4 banger Camaro and also the ATS-V. I believe with a twin turbo V8 it will be well above 700 hp. The problem is will GM dare to have a Camaro with more hp than the Z06? Just an idea and I think it will be pretty awesome if GM did something like that.
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
YoungGun1993

Drives: Pontiac G6
The Camaro ZXX will have the same highly-praised engine as the Corvette Z06 coming in at 650 HP. The Camaro will run circles around the 707 HP Hellcat at that point IN almost every metric. Now whether or not you're buying the car for actual performance or for the HP number will likely dictate your purchase.
YoungGun1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:50 AM   #3
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun1993 View Post
The Camaro ZXX will have the same highly-praised engine as the Corvette Z06 coming in at 650 HP. The Camaro will run circles around the 707 HP Hellcat at that point IN almost every metric. Now whether or not you're buying the car for actual performance or for the HP number will likely dictate your purchase.
Around a track. Yes I'd agree. Drag strip, 1/4 times, etc. We shall see...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:57 AM   #4
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
It would have to be around 3800 lbs to make up for the hp difference for equal power to weight. The car will gain at least ~150 lbs from supercharger and brakes etc even with some additional light parts to help. 38-3900 pounds should be realistic for a z-- if the 16 ss comes in at 3700.

With a 650 hp lt4 and 8 speed at 3800 lbs it would be very close to the hellcat in the 1/4 hard to say. Everywhere else handling etc. no contest. Price is another thing... Hellcat is only around 60 k I think. Will be hard to come in less than that considering everything else the z-- will likely offer.

What I think everyone is forgetting is the gt500. With a chassis roughly the same weight as camaro and rumors of 740hp this car would trounce an lt4 zl1. Just like it did last gen. Thinking we may see history repeat. Edge out a handling win but get beat at the strip.

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 06-10-2015 at 01:08 AM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 AM   #5
BowtieV8
Longtime Chevy Girl

Drives: Not a VVette…yet
Everything I'm about to say (except for my question at the end) is my own opinion based on my time reading stuff online. I will most likely be wrong about some stuff.

I have been stalking around on Camaro5 since way back in the day. I remember a few years ago when FBodFather commented on how Chevy plays a different game than Ford (or Dodge). Ford has the Mustang. And…that was it back then. Chevy had the Camaro and the Corvette. If you were looking for a horsepower war, you turned to the ZR1. This is also why the Camaro won't have a production version with a backseat delete like Mustang did for a bit.

Point is, the Camaro won't have a horsepower answer to the Hellcat. At least not for many many years. If you want a Chevy to compete with it, look towards the Corvette. And maybe they don't have something now, but that doesn't mean that they won't eventually.

Camaro 6 will remain in the attainability category. That Hellcat is not easy to get for us common people. As Uncle Ben would probably say in his younger years, "With great horsepower, comes great big price tags." Another reason why Chevy will use the Corvette to go up against it, and not the Camaro. This is why the 5th Gen Z/28 didn't make sense to me. For that much money…you might as well try a bit more and aim for a Stingray.

And finally, look at the 1LE, ZL-1, Z/28, Stingray, and Z06. Chevy aims for track performance and balance, not caveman brute force in a straight line. There will always be someone who has a faster (in a straight line) and more powerful car out there. But very few who will be able to show the type of performance that you can obtain with a Chevy price range. I get what they are doing, and I like it as it is.

Now if only I could get my hands on one…

As for my own question related to this: Can the Hellcat, with all it's "manly" horsepower, beat the Z/28 or Z06 around VIR or The 'Ring? Or is it just a one-trick-pony (see what I did there?) that is only good for going in a straight line and sounding god-aweful?
BowtieV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
GM does not need to compete with a HP number. JMO. It's loosing battle that can't escalate much past 2025 with CAFEgedon coming.

Yes, fun spectator sport for us, even if we didn't buy one. But I don't see GM needing to play.

Now depending on what Ford does with the GT500........
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieV8 View Post
Everything I'm about to say (except for my question at the end) is my own opinion based on my time reading stuff online. I will most likely be wrong about some stuff.

I have been stalking around on Camaro5 since way back in the day. I remember a few years ago when FBodFather commented on how Chevy plays a different game than Ford (or Dodge). Ford has the Mustang. And…that was it back then. Chevy had the Camaro and the Corvette. If you were looking for a horsepower war, you turned to the ZR1. This is also why the Camaro won't have a production version with a backseat delete like Mustang did for a bit.

Point is, the Camaro won't have a horsepower answer to the Hellcat. At least not for many many years. If you want a Chevy to compete with it, look towards the Corvette. And maybe they don't have something now, but that doesn't mean that they won't eventually.

Camaro 6 will remain in the attainability category. That Hellcat is not easy to get for us common people. As Uncle Ben would probably say in his younger years, "With great horsepower, comes great big price tags." Another reason why Chevy will use the Corvette to go up against it, and not the Camaro. This is why the 5th Gen Z/28 didn't make sense to me. For that much money…you might as well try a bit more and aim for a Stingray.

And finally, look at the 1LE, ZL-1, Z/28, Stingray, and Z06. Chevy aims for track performance and balance, not caveman brute force in a straight line. There will always be someone who has a faster (in a straight line) and more powerful car out there. But very few who will be able to show the type of performance that you can obtain with a Chevy price range. I get what they are doing, and I like it as it is.

Now if only I could get my hands on one…

As for my own question related to this: Can the Hellcat, with all it's "manly" horsepower, beat the Z/28 or Z06 around VIR or The 'Ring? Or is it just a one-trick-pony (see what I did there?) that is only good for going in a straight line and sounding god-aweful?
Exactly.
Dodges have to make that much power to move 2+ tons down the road.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The z28 already beats the hellcat in tight corners and depending on the set up on the strip and time off the tree the zl1 can beat the hellcat, now an experienced driver and racing slicks i would say the hellcat every time on the strip.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
What I think everyone is forgetting is the gt500. With a chassis roughly the same weight as camaro and rumors of 740hp this car would trounce an lt4 zl1.
What GT500 ?

I have yet to hear anything official or even legitimately unofficial about a GT 500. So, where's this 740HP beast you have inside info on?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
Just curious what everyone will be saying if ford brings out a 725HP Gt500? I guess I'm one of the chest pounding cavemen that wants tons of HP. The stingray comparison is null. It's a different type of car. No backseat/trunk. I can't "Stepup" to a Z06 unless I have my wife follow me to shows events with my kid in her SUV. Lol.
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
What GT500 ?

I have yet to hear anything official or even legitimately unofficial about a GT 500. So, where's this 740HP beast you have inside info on?
It's been a rumour for a while that they will come out with a new GT500 in 2017 with more power than the hellcat. We will see

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieV8 View Post

Don't you think it's odd no magazine or other autopress has put up an article with the Hellcat doing anything but cruising the street or running the 1/4? I think you have your answer there.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
It would have to be around 3800 lbs to make up for the hp difference for equal power to weight. The car will gain at least ~150 lbs from supercharger and brakes etc even with some additional light parts to help. 38-3900 pounds should be realistic for a z-- if the 16 ss comes in at 3700.

With a 650 hp lt4 and 8 speed at 3800 lbs it would be very close to the hellcat in the 1/4 hard to say. Everywhere else handling etc. no contest. Price is another thing... Hellcat is only around 60 k I think. Will be hard to come in less than that considering everything else the z-- will likely offer.

What I think everyone is forgetting is the gt500. With a chassis roughly the same weight as camaro and rumors of 740hp this car would trounce an lt4 zl1. Just like it did last gen. Thinking we may see history repeat. Edge out a handling win but get beat at the strip.
Not necessarily. What I've seen is the hellcat is about 4450 lbs according to motor trend when they tested it against the ZL1. So that is about 6.29 lbs per HP. If the ZL1 or Z28 whatever they call it comes with 640 hp At a weight of 3950 or so it will be at 6.1 lbs per HP

Very close between the 2 and will be a drivers race. And no doubt will slaughter it on the track.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Hellcat is a cool car, glad dodge got some nice pub. I don't think anyone at GM thinks the hellcat is compition or same class as the outgoing camaro let alone the new one.

Do I think GM will top the hellcats HP at the crank numbers? No
Do I think GM has at least 3 better performing cars already? Yes