Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: Which is the your supercharger of choice as a bolt on for a 100% bone stock L99 A6 ?
Kenne Bell 52 16.30%
Magnuson TVS2300 129 40.44%
Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger Kit 28 8.78%
Magnacharger Intercooled Supercharger 19 5.96%
L99 ProCharger High Output Intercooled P1SC Kit 23 7.21%
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit 45 14.11%
My choice is not listed. I will post my choice on the thread. 32 10.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #71
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Thanks for the comments and the pictures. It looks like my CAI intake will work fine with the TVS2300. It also looks like the Maggie might add about 120 rwhp? My car currently is making at 362 rwhp (L99 with intake, headers, exhaust, and tune).
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #72
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Thanks for the comments and the pictures. It looks like my CAI intake will work fine with the TVS2300. It also looks like the Maggie might add about 120 rwhp? My car currently is making at 362 rwhp (L99 with intake, headers, exhaust, and tune).
That's about right. Maybe 10-25 more hp, depending on the tune and octane.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #73
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
That's about right. Maybe 10-25 more hp, depending on the tune and octane.
And which headers are being used. LT's are worth approx 20-25 more than shorties... My numbers are on shorties, no muffs, CAI and 91 octane
Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #74
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
And which headers are being used. LT's are worth approx 20-25 more than shorties... My numbers are on shorties, no muffs, CAI and 91 octane
The 362 rwhp is with LT headers, intake, exhaust, and a tune. I'm hoping a Maggie will get my close to 500 rwhp.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #75
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Don't waste your $$ on the warranty. As been said before, what they pay won't cover your losses and in your case, you've voided it already with your LT's.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #76
FloMoCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
The 362 rwhp is with LT headers, intake, exhaust, and a tune. I'm hoping a Maggie will get my close to 500 rwhp.
I think if your looking to get close to the 500 number, make sure to use the 3.6 pulley. I also did a L99/LS3 conversion plus a GT-11 cam with the 3.6 and pulled 553rwhp running 6.5psi.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #77
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
A turbo system is much more complicated. It has to be plumbed into the engine's oil pan for lubrication and depending on the turbo mfg'er, into the engine's coolant system for cooling. There is a lot more plumbing for the required air-to-air IC. Your under hood heat is gonna be higher as you now have a large metal scroll being super heated by exhaust gases.
And unless you get the scroll size matched perfectly to the engine's capabilities you are gonna have lag (too big) or just not make the numbers you want (too small). And it really is irrelevant as the bottom end of our engine's is not gonna like more than 8-10psi, so I would rather have the instant hit from the SC.

The maggie is 100% self contained. It really is a very nice package.
Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of Magnuson and we work hand and hand on projects. With that said please allow me to address a few of your statements:

Quote:
A turbo system is much more complicated.
That is subjective – As an example, when installing a turbo, you don’t spend extra money on pulley changes, you don’t need to drill into or install the crank pulley, you do not need to modify the heater hoses and plumbing, you don’t need to plumb hose to and from the heat exchanger (installing the heat exchanger for the Maggie is the same time it takes to install the Intercooler for a turbo.

Quote:
It has to be plumbed into the engine's oil pan for lubrication and depending on the turbo mfg'er, into the engine's coolant system for cooling.
Nope. No piping or drilling of oil pan. Oil drains back into the valve cover. And most turbos these days do not require water cooling.

[QUOTE=hypurone;1942580] a lot more plumbing for the required air-to-air IC.QUOTE]
I agree there is more tubing with the turbo than with a Maggie system but no more than a Paxton, Vortech or Procharger set up and in exchange the discharge temps are way lower on the turbo then the Maggie. Air to air intercooling has a lower discharge temp then a Maggie at boost and cruise

Quote:
Your under hood heat is gonna be higher as you now have a large metal scroll being super heated by exhaust gases.
Nope. The Maggie sits smack in the center of the engine and compressing air makes heat regardless of the device that compresses it. If you have a top mount turbo I agree the Maggie is most likely cooler but twin turbo like the Hellion and TTi/GMS kit will have lower under hood temps than a Maggie for 2 reasons; 1. They are down stream of the stock exhaust manifolds and 2. They is nothing in the engine compartment to make the temp goes up – Naturally at boost the turbos create heat but the air from the turbo is cooled by the huge tubing and heat from the housings is dissipated by the air rush across them at cruise

Quote:
And unless you get the scroll size matched perfectly to the engine's capabilities you are gonna have lag (too big) or just not make the numbers you want (too small)
It is pretty tough to run too small of a turbo when there are twins. Even 2 pewny turbos like 50mm each would make 800hp which is a ton of power – the Hellion turbos are 58mm and the Granatelli turbos are 62mm I can tell you there is no lag on the Granatelli system and looking at the Hellion numbers they don’t lag either. Admittedly the Maggie will make more torque below 2500 rpm

Quote:
And it really is irrelevant as the bottom end of our engine's is not gonna like more than 8-10psi, so I would rather have the instant hit from the SC. The maggie is 100% self contained. It really is a very nice package.
Again I agree the Maggie is nice and as easy to install as any other system. But if you talk about stress on the engine the turbos create les stress because they don’t drive and create crank shaft load. The number speak for themselves – if your goal is 600 rear wheel (100 more than a ZR1) then you can get there for less money with w twin turbo set up and have less stress on the motor because it will take less boost
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #78
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
[QUOTE=Granatelli;1946240]Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of Magnuson and we work hand and hand on projects. With that said please allow me to address a few of your statements:

That is subjective – As an example, when installing a turbo, you don’t spend extra money on pulley changes, you don’t need to drill into or install the crank pulley, you do not need to modify the heater hoses and plumbing, you don’t need to plumb hose to and from the heat exchanger (installing the heat exchanger for the Maggie is the same time it takes to install the Intercooler for a turbo.the size of which can be challenging to route without modifying the car in some way

Nope. No piping or drilling of oil pan. Oil drains back into the valve cover. And most turbos these days do not require water cooling. Where are you obtaining the oil to lubricate the turbo(s) then? You have to tap in somewhere...and tap in again to route to the valve cover(s)

Quote:
a lot more plumbing for the required air-to-air IC.QUOTE]
I agree there is more tubing with the turbo than with a Maggie system but no more than a Paxton, Vortech or Procharger set up and in exchange the discharge temps are way lower on the turbo then the Maggie. Air to air intercooling has a lower discharge temp then a Maggie at boost and cruisebut as with most front mount IC that are air-to-air and need to be very thick in comparison, car cooling suffers or has to be modified in some way to handle the extra heat shed into the rad by the IC

Nope. The Maggie sits smack in the center of the engine and compressing air makes heat regardless of the device that compresses it. If you have a top mount turbo I agree the Maggie is most likely cooler but twin turbo like the Hellion and TTi/GMS kit will have lower under hood temps than a Maggie for 2 reasons; 1. They are down stream of the stock exhaust manifolds and 2. They is nothing in the engine compartment to make the temp goes up – Naturally at boost the turbos create heat but the air from the turbo is cooled by the huge tubing and heat from the housings is dissipated by the air rush across them at cruiseturbos need to be close enough to the manifolds to have sufficient flow to spin them, if they are this close to be efficient, they are gonna add to the under hood temp and now you are talking 2 of them...unless of course you are going rear mount but then you suffer lag

It is pretty tough to run too small of a turbo when there are twins. Even 2 pewny turbos like 50mm each would make 800hp which is a ton of power – the Hellion turbos are 58mm and the Granatelli turbos are 62mm I can tell you there is no lag on the Granatelli system and looking at the Hellion numbers they don’t lag either. Admittedly the Maggie will make more torque below 2500 rpm a twin system adds complexity and additional points of failure

Again I agree the Maggie is nice and as easy to install as any other system. But if you talk about stress on the engine the turbos create les stress because they don’t drive and create crank shaft load. The number speak for themselves – if your goal is 600 rear wheel (100 more than a ZR1) then you can get there for less money with w twin turbo set up and have less stress on the motor because it will take less boost
Not arguing here, just pointing out some stuff that I have seen in the past and can make a difference in some folks minds and some kits don't address...
Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #79
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Oil comes from sending unit - just a simple T goes in line and oil goes back into the valve cover through the oil fill cap - no drill or tap

No mods to install intercooler either
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #80
|BLACKSS|

Drives: BLACK 1SS
i have a L99 car with Cold Air Inductions CAI and i want to do a whipple 2.9 with LG Motorsports super pro headers and LG's 3" exhaust has anyone done this or are we still waiting I have a year to go before i can pull the trigger just was wondering if it has been done yet
|BLACKSS| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #81
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by |BLACKSS| View Post
i have a L99 car with Cold Air Inductions CAI and i want to do a whipple 2.9 with LG Motorsports super pro headers and LG's 3" exhaust has anyone done this or are we still waiting I have a year to go before i can pull the trigger just was wondering if it has been done yet
Whipple didn't release their blower yet.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #82
69 Rebel

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS Auto
I'm leaning toward the KB after reading this and other threads, nothing against Maggie it seems the safe way to go.
Question for you guys i also have the CAI intake installed will it work with KB?
If not i have no problem selling it and going with the KB mammoth, the only thing i am wondering is the filter looks pretty low, will it not take on water when driving in rain.
69 Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #83
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Rebel View Post
I'm leaning toward the KB after reading this and other threads, nothing against Maggie it seems the safe way to go.
Question for you guys i also have the CAI intake installed will it work with KB?
If not i have no problem selling it and going with the KB mammoth, the only thing i am wondering is the filter looks pretty low, will it not take on water when driving in rain.
If you saw the KB setup there is no way you're aftermarket intake that you have on there now will fit a KB. So, you would have to sell it, or keep it, give it away, or whatever else you would like to do with it.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #84
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Where to buy the supercharger.

Where are the best places/retailers to order a maggie, kenny belly, procharger, or vortec from ? Are the kits any different depending on who you order it from?

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote