Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 09-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Ticketed for no front plates

I was coming back from visiting my gf from SFA and a state trooper was coming head on and made a quick U turn and flipped his lights on. I ended up getting a ticket for no front plate even though it was displayed in my windshield. I got a warning for this about 5 months ago (except I didn't have a front plate displayed anywhere) and I thought warnings only stayed in the database for like a couple weeks but he said since I was warned already (back in april) he was writing me a ticket. So I have to call the court house in whatever red neck town I was in on tuesday about it. Is there anything I can try and argue? Thoughts?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
I would pleasd insanity

You were crazy to to be driving through that hick town. I don't drive my car on TX highways for that reason. DPS doesn't cut you any slacks like the city folks do. I'm currently working on a plate holder I can remove at a moments notice with no added scratches etc.....still sorting it out but that's what I'm using when I take road trips. By law having the plate on the dash is not considerd the "Front of the car".
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Well it's my DD and it's the only road I can take, so I'm left with little choice. I'm thinking about getting that remote control retractable bracket..
Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
I was coming back from visiting my gf from SFA and a state trooper was coming head on and made a quick U turn and flipped his lights on. I ended up getting a ticket for no front plate even though it was displayed in my windshield. I got a warning for this about 5 months ago (except I didn't have a front plate displayed anywhere) and I thought warnings only stayed in the database for like a couple weeks but he said since I was warned already (back in april) he was writing me a ticket. So I have to call the court house in whatever red neck town I was in on tuesday about it. Is there anything I can try and argue? Thoughts?
Been through this. Cop told me exactly how to get out of the ticket.

Take your front plate, use scotch tape (something clear), take a picture of the plates on your car and take it to the judge and it will be dismissed.

Seriously. HPD cop gave me a ticket for the same thing and at the exact same time told me how to get out of it.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
It's an expensive add on. The advantage of a retractable in my opinion is if your stopped someplace idling. Don't know how they hold up while your driving and running it.They would know you had one after they pulled you over for not having a plate.
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Well it's my DD and it's the only road I can take, so I'm left with little choice. I'm thinking about getting that remote control retractable bracket..
Thats what I ended up with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
Been through this. Cop told me exactly how to get out of the ticket.

Take your front plate, use scotch tape (something clear), take a picture of the plates on your car and take it to the judge and it will be dismissed.

Seriously. HPD cop gave me a ticket for the same thing and at the exact same time told me how to get out of it.
That may work in Houston, but in the town I live in, it isn't a fix it ticket... according to the police chief, who owns a bad early 60's vette, "if one of the officers writes you a no plate ticket, you pay it...period."

So I asked him about his officer that owns a 2010 Camaro with no front plate... No reply...

I got the hide a plate and if I ever forget to put it up and get a ticket, I've been stopped three times... I'll be stopping in to visit the city manager and ask for an explanation of how the police are above the law, and half the the pu drivers in this town have their plate on the dash...and about the extraordinary number of drivers with duct tape turn signals, and two cars with duct tape holding their Marty Feldman headlights in.... and they have been that way over two years... in a state with annual vehicle inspections....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbear View Post
It's an expensive add on. The advantage of a retractable in my opinion is if your stopped someplace idling. Don't know how they hold up while your driving and running it.They would know you had one after they pulled you over for not having a plate.
My hide a plate has seen well over a hundred... and lots of rain, and still goes up and down like it's supposed to....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I feel your pain. I'm in MA and have a front plate nevertheless I'm going to court Tuesday to fight a ticket for having a protective cover over my front plate, now that really sucks. You would think cops would have more important things to do.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Thanks for the feedback. I think what I'm going to do is attach it some way and take a picture and email it to them (can't go in person, got the ticket 2 hours away from where I live). We'll see what happens.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Well, there was a recent court case that went to the Texas Supreme Court where some drug dealer was trying to argue that the seizure was unlawful because the police didn't have probable cause after pulling him over because his front plate was located on his dash.

The judge told him the law means the front plate is required to be on the front bumper, and therefore the search and seizure was completely legal.

Which means that particular ruling is going to be used as precedent across Texas now. If your plate is anywhere other than your front bumper (like on your dash) then it's not legal and you may be ticketed.

As with any and all laws, enforcement is up to the officers. So, just be aware of this.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
That may work in Houston, but in the town I live in, it isn't a fix it ticket... according to the police chief, who owns a bad early 60's vette, "if one of the officers writes you a no plate ticket, you pay it...period."

So I asked him about his officer that owns a 2010 Camaro with no front plate... No reply...
Houston has bigger issues to deal with than plate problems. Guess you have to generate tax revenue somehow.

Previous Car:
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Pay your fine ,put the plate on like a good boy and enjoy your car, or keep paying the fines, or you could move to Pa. Although that's about the only good thing about this state.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

How does this ticket affect insurance / points against your license?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
SuperFly03

Quote:
How does this ticket affect insurance / points against your license?
It's not a moving violation so I don't believe it counts at all in either case.

Previous Car:
Old 09-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
SuperFly03

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Pay your fine ,put the plate on like a good boy and enjoy your car, or keep paying the fines, or you could move to Pa. Although that's about the only good thing about this state.
I refuse to drill holes in my car for a front plate that serves no purpose except to tag me with a laser.

With that said... I've only been ticketed once in my life so far because I'm always very nice to the cops so they tend to pass on something as petty as that.

Previous Car: