Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Atcer

Drives: 2LT RS Silver Ice w/Cyber Grey strp
Chevy dealer runned my 20" Midnight Silver Rim

I only started this thread to put out a warning to those with the 20" painted RS wheels.

My Pzero tire had a factory defect causing the side wall to split 1/2" away from the rim about half way round the tire. Replacment tire was ordered and finially showed from Italy yesterday, 5 weeks.

Today I went to the local Chevy dealer to have the tires chaged out. They have a machine that is suppossed to be touchless, once the tech started to push the bead around and down over the rim, scrached the rim bad. I now have a deep 1/4" gash along the entire edge as well as 1" up form the edge along the spokes.
They are ordering me a replacment rim, so that is not an issue.

The problem is that with our new style flangeless rims they have a wide lip edge on the inside that will not fit most machines. So when you go to change your tires be very careful and make sure the techs no about this danger of running the rim if they have the narror tire tool arm.

Still lovin the car 3452 miles down 1 million to go.
Atcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
1sickss

Drives: BADDEST SS IN ATL!!!!
that sucks
1sickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I had the exact same thing happen to my wheel. I had a bad tire pressure monitor that needed to be replaced. I picked the car up and noticed my wheel was damaged. The problem is the dealer immediately denied that they did it. That really pissed me off because it's obvious that they did it, no question. They ended up replacing the rim when I convinced them there was no other way it could have gotten damaged.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
leperkhaun

Drives: Looking to buy a SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to my wheel. I had a bad tire pressure monitor that needed to be replaced. I picked the car up and noticed my wheel was damaged. The problem is the dealer immediately denied that they did it. That really pissed me off because it's obvious that they did it, no question. They ended up replacing the rim when I convinced them there was no other way it could have gotten damaged.

Russ
Yup, because the dealers i know are QUICK to point out preexisting problems before they start working.
leperkhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
wow double suck for you. I had a PZero damaged and replaced in like 2 days with no rim damage at all...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
55Designs

Drives: 2010
This is because dealers have no clue how to deal with these larger wheels.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcer View Post
I only started this thread to put out a warning to those with the 20" painted RS wheels.

My Pzero tire had a factory defect causing the side wall to split 1/2" away from the rim about half way round the tire. Replacment tire was ordered and finially showed from Italy yesterday, 5 weeks.

Today I went to the local Chevy dealer to have the tires chaged out. They have a machine that is suppossed to be touchless, once the tech started to push the bead around and down over the rim, scrached the rim bad. I now have a deep 1/4" gash along the entire edge as well as 1" up form the edge along the spokes.
They are ordering me a replacment rim, so that is not an issue.

The problem is that with our new style flangeless rims they have a wide lip edge on the inside that will not fit most machines. So when you go to change your tires be very careful and make sure the techs no about this danger of running the rim if they have the narror tire tool arm.

Still lovin the car 3452 miles down 1 million to go.
What are they going to do so they don't ruin the new rim?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Atcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
What are they going to do so they don't ruin the new rim?
They are going to send it to a custom wheel shop to have put on. I just wanted everybody to know this could happen to them when it is time to change tires.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Why did the tire come from Italy? I know tire shops with them in stock.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
Atcer

Currently no tires in the dealerships wearhouse and none availble from the factory. this one came from the Pilrelle manufacture overseas, I was told Italy by the service manager.