Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Angry Help with Reverse grind!

So the problem I have is this... lets say I park the car. I put the ebrake one leave it in first.
I come back any amount of time later start er up again and try to go in to reverse and I get this awful grind.

Granted I have had this car over a year and 1/2 (had a m6 Ls before with no such problem) so I have worked around it and this is how....

Turn er on and I go into neutral back into first then to reverse almost like I am syncing up the gears and I have no problems.
I have 46k miles on the car, no other issues what could this be?

Last edited by Adrenaline12; 08-11-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: M6 2SS incase anyone was wondering
Adrenaline12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Is the car in any way moving forward when you're trying to shift it into reverse? Even on a downhill pointing downward? I pause in neutral before shifting into reverse every time. I always ebrake first while parking before leaving it in gear.

I've had this happen in other cars, but I'm careful about stuff like that in the Camaro because I feel this transmission is less than bullet proof ...
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Manual says to park in Reverse. Not first gear. Not sure that changes anything, just an FYI.

Quote:
Parking (Manual
Transmission)
If the vehicle has a manual
transmission, before getting out of
the vehicle, move the shift lever into
R (Reverse), and firmly apply the
parking brake. Once the shift lever
has been placed into R (Reverse)
with the clutch pedal pressed in,
turn the ignition key to LOCK/OFF,
remove the key, and release the
clutch.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
GM likes to set manual cars up to shut down more of the electronics in the car if the ignition is off and it's in reverse. I don't know if it's some kind of battery saving thing or what.

I betting you got a week or wore out synchronizer.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Adrenaline12

Drives: Synergy Green 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
Is the car in any way moving forward when you're trying to shift it into reverse? Even on a downhill pointing downward? I pause in neutral before shifting into reverse every time. I always ebrake first while parking before leaving it in gear.

I've had this happen in other cars, but I'm careful about stuff like that in the Camaro because I feel this transmission is less than bullet proof ...
Nothing like that no movement.

Ill start placing it in reverse when parking in regards to the manual

Worn out synchronizer? expensive fix? Should this be covered by the power train warranty?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Try changing the trans fluid. The GM fluid is ok at best and as it get older the trans doesn't shift as smoothly.
Use RedLine D4 ATF oil and you will see an improvement. I recommend you change it every 30k.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
should be covered under power train
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline12 View Post
So the problem I have is this... lets say I park the car. I put the ebrake one leave it in first.
I come back any amount of time later start er up again and try to go in to reverse and I get this awful grind.

Granted I have had this car over a year and 1/2 (had a m6 Ls before with no such problem) so I have worked around it and this is how....

Turn er on and I go into neutral back into first then to reverse almost like I am syncing up the gears and I have no problems.
I have 46k miles on the car, no other issues what could this be?
Hey Adrenaline12,

I'm sorry to hear that your car is having difficulties going into reverse! That grinding noise is always a painful one to hear! Have you taken your Camaro into your local dealership to see if they can diagnose the concern? They would also be able to determine whether or not your concern would be covered under warranty. Please PM us your VIN, current mileage, name, contact info and involved dealership and we would be happy to look into it for you.

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
+1 on changing your trans fluid, but some crunch, I believe, is unavoidable when going to reverse. Traditionally in a manual trans that gear is not synchronized.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote