Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
HannoverFist

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Rally Stripes install?

Gang:
I purchased a set of OEM Rally Stripes which should be here today via UPS. I'd like a "professional" to install them correctly.

I called a local dealer - which will remain nameless - and spoke with someone in their body shop. He let me know in no uncertain terms that the cost for the install would be very very high, the install was 'a nightmare', and that many dealers are subbing out the process rather than do it themselves.

Ugh.

Do any of you good folks out there have a good installer in the Seattle/Bellevue/Tacoma sprawl who'll get these stripes put on for me without having to mortgage a kidney?

Thanks!

HannoverFist
HannoverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
siliconewolfgang

Drives: 2004 Hummer H2
As of yesterday - My dealer says he gets reimburssed for the install of the stripes by GM. Basically you bought a car with stripes - now GM and the dealer better deliver the product you ordered is the way I see it.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
I would talk to a sign company that is use to doing big decals on cars. I would say the dealer is just to scared to do the install.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
I had my Rally Stripes installed yesterday, well sort of.
I bought OEM from a dealer on the east coast. My local
dealer QTD $50. an hour and about 2 hrs to install. It took
him 45 minutes for 1 hood stripe. He was not able to get them
cleared of all the air bubbles and when finished there were streaks
on them. The original packaging of the stripes had ripples and air
pockets. I removed the stripes and the seller said he will refund my money for them. I am now going to have them painted on.
I wish you better luck than I had.
Open the box and inspect them before anyone installs them.
It's easier to return them if you don't try to install them first.

Last edited by 3GPa; 11-23-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
HannoverFist

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Wow - glad you're getting a refund. Ouch. What's the estimate for the painted stripes, just out of curiosity?

I went back to the folks who did my window tint - Accutint, in Bellevue, WA - and they had a guy - Caleb - at their Seattle shop who was ready to give it a go. Did a bang-up job for $150. To be fair - there are a couple of tiny bubbles on one of the stripes, and one on the rear deck was a bit wrinkled on from the packaging, but he did a great job of getting them on.

HannoverFist
HannoverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
oldemoldy

Drives: 2010 camaro
hi i own a body shop in burien and have done 3 2010 camaros so far all painted on and complete panels cleared and you cant feel the stripes and they look sharp i pull the hood / frt bumper on ss and go into the bumper. also pull the trunk and spoiler and go over the spoiler and clear coat complete and color sand and buff to a mirror finish throw away the tape stripes they look bad and cant wax
oldemoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
oldemoldy

painted stripes to pull hood frt bumper trunk and spoiler prep and mask off stripes on hood and onto frt bumper and trunk and up and over to spoiler and clear coat complete and color sand and buff to a mirror finish and reistall all back on car 1500.00 or just on hood and trunk rs model 1000.00 // the tape stripes from dealer are about 500.00 and then you need to get them installed and i dont care how good you are they still have there issues painted the only way 206 619 3417 cell call if you have any questions
oldemoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
Had mine painted on. Great job and they look awesome. Gloss black, down on the bumper and over the spoiler. Wish I had know how crappy the factory ones were. I would never would have ordered them. Besides the factory ones don't look finished. 02
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannoverFist View Post
Wow - glad you're getting a refund. Ouch. What's the estimate for the painted stripes, just out of curiosity?

I went back to the folks who did my window tint - Accutint, in Bellevue, WA - and they had a guy - Caleb - at their Seattle shop who was ready to give it a go. Did a bang-up job for $150. To be fair - there are a couple of tiny bubbles on one of the stripes, and one on the rear deck was a bit wrinkled on from the packaging, but he did a great job of getting them on.

HannoverFist
To install the Stripes was $50. an hour. After that fell apart he QTD me $350 to do the paint. Single Stage Flat Black. Of course that is with out Clear Coat.
The Stripes Cost me $350. so he was trying to keep it about the same price.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and feedback.
Hope this helps the 1st post as well.

Here are Pics of the Stripes painted. I went with Semi-Flat Black!

Last edited by 3GPa; 11-23-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Pics
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
aquablue10

Be cautious where you buy a rally stripe kit. I got mine off e-bay and installed 1 hood stripe, peeled the backing off only to find the kit was not the proper color of silver i ordered. The backing layer wasn't clear like it should have been, but a harder masking tape backing. The flat portion of the hood layed out right, but the contours around the raised portion of the hood were impossible to lay out because of the inferior backing. I had wrinkles and air bubbles. After working with it for 45 minutes i got most of it out, but it still looked like ass. The other issues i had were the upper portion by the windshield wasn't cut to the contours of the hood properly and neither was the cut on the lowermost portion of the outline decal by the center of the hood. They angle cut it and that also looked like ass. So i proceeded to tear off the whole decal after cursing the company that sold it to me. ( I think i even made up some new cuss words). My wife was looking at me like i was the anti-christ. BUYERS BEWARE. DON'T BUY JACK S.... FROM E-BAY IN THE DECAL DEPARTMENT AND IF YOU DO, DEFINATELY DON'T BUY FROM widebodyeclipse or 13-three motorsports. They suck at making graphics. I am now looking into painting them on.
aquablue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
camarossowner
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS Black Camaro
Sorry to hear that your having all these problems with the strip kits. My camaro came from the factory with the strips installed already. And any thing ordered after June will be installed at the factory.
camarossowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Boy that sucks you'll like them better painter anyway.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
I agree .... thats why I didnt get them from the dealer ...getting mines painted on soon
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
Yellojacket

Drives: 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Yea painted on is the way to go. These cost me right around $1200 and look great. This is just how I got it back from the painters. No wax has been applied to the hood or trunk yet but will look much much better after 2 or 3 coats of Zaino. Had them put in a little metal fleck in the black to better match the metallic in the IOM paint as well.
The second pic is just a weird reflection of the neighbors tree in the front yard...
Attached Images

Yellojacket is offline   Reply With Quote