Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-29-2015, 12:34 AM   #1
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Need some ZL1 modding advice

Hey All,

I'm currently in the parts hording phase of my buid on my ZL1. Thanks to some really great threads here on C5 I've learned a lot and I think I have a decent game plan for my build. My goals at the end of this are to maintain the drive ability that my stock ZL1 currently has as my DD but jack up its racing potential just a bit. I use my car for work daily (30K mile in 18 months) and weekend race with it (think HellCat/GT500 spanking HP). Currently I have been doing lots of AutoX and HPDE days at some local tracks. I've got some drag racing dates planned out as well so you can see I'm after a car that can do it all. Thats why I got a ZL1.

Currently have;
CAI
Apex catch can
SS 1-7/8" headers & cat delete
Cam Motion Stage 2 camshaft
KD Innovation heat exchanger
SCT tuner
Bo White ported TB
ATI Balancer
Melling oil pump #10296
RotoFab Supercharger Expansion tank

Still planning on;
18% lower pulley = 9.17" lower
Balancer bolt - ARP
Matching belt tensioner kit
H/D timing chain
850 Injectors
BAP fuel pump booster
Valvespring upgrade
BTR Trunion upgrade
**dyno tune

So what I am asking of my fellow C5 friends is this;
1- if you've done a similar type build is there anything you'd do different?
2- is there anything I'm missing? Not gaskets and obvious stuff. Big items.
3- from your experience is this a smooth easy to use package for driving?
4- is the 18% enough to compensate for the exhaust upgrade? Do more or less?
** what I mean is I know there is a boost drop with the addition of headers

Thats all I'm after here and just some advice if anyone has any. I'm certainly not new to Hot Rodding but I'm also not arrogant enough to not accept advice from others who either do these kind of builds or have done them. Not sure who I will get to install the cam as my choices in Vancouver are not as easy as going to someone like Davenport who have a steller reputation.

Thanks in advance for your input and I will continue to do my best putting Mustangs and Challengers in their place.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 07-30-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
While it may not be nessesary as I am not familiar with your cams specs you likely will want new valve springs. Also I don't see a cold air intake listed.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
14ZL1M6

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Coupe A6 & 2002 ZO6
In addition to valve springs like Redlineviper suggested, you will need a trunion upgrade for your rockers. You will need a balancer bolt. I went with the ARP, so I can re-use it if needed. You will need a catch can as well. And you will need an idler relocation bracket for your 9.17 pulley. Make sure you have a puller to get your factory balancer off and you will need a torque wrench that goes above 200 ftlbs. The ARP bolt gets toqued to 235ftlbs. Your normal 1/2" drive won't go that high.
ATI Balancer w/9.55 (22.5%) lower pulley, FIC1000 Injectors, Stainless Works 2" headers, Stainless Works Retro Cat-Back, V-Max Ported TB, Roto-Fab w/Big Gulp, Elite 2nd Gen Catch Can, Jannetty Tuned. 581 rwhp
14ZL1M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Link for the heat exchanger please.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Todd in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
While it may not be nessesary as I am not familiar with your cams specs you likely will want new valve springs. Also I don't see a cold air intake listed.
Thanks for the info and it is a Cam Motion Stg2 blower cam. I've already got a CAI just forgot to list it.
Here is the link to the cam;

http://store.cammotion.com/blower-stage-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ZL1M6 View Post
In addition to valve springs like Redlineviper suggested, you will need a trunion upgrade for your rockers. You will need a balancer bolt. I went with the ARP, so I can re-use it if needed. You will need a catch can as well. And you will need an idler relocation bracket for your 9.17 pulley. Make sure you have a puller to get your factory balancer off and you will need a torque wrench that goes above 200 ftlbs. The ARP bolt gets toqued to 235ftlbs. Your normal 1/2" drive won't go that high.
Excellent thanks and do you have to do a trunion upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Link for the heat exchanger please.
Hey JP here is the one I've got;

https://kdinnovations.com/2012-2015-...eat-exchanger/

Thanks for the input guys and keep it coming.

How hard can it be...

Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
14ZL1M6

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Coupe A6 & 2002 ZO6
Just all depends on how much you plan on revving it. In high RPM situations and when using high valve spring pressures, the factory trunion needle bearings may begin walking out of the rocker arm’s trunion bore. Just cheap insurance not to end up with needle bearings all through your engine. They are only $119 from BTR.
ATI Balancer w/9.55 (22.5%) lower pulley, FIC1000 Injectors, Stainless Works 2" headers, Stainless Works Retro Cat-Back, V-Max Ported TB, Roto-Fab w/Big Gulp, Elite 2nd Gen Catch Can, Jannetty Tuned. 581 rwhp
14ZL1M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
I'd consider a new heat exchanger. Ron Davis makes a nice one and it's less $$ than the others. That's what I went with. The stock one is so thin.
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
Todd in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ZL1M6 View Post
Just all depends on how much you plan on revving it. In high RPM situations and when using high valve spring pressures, the factory trunion needle bearings may begin walking out of the rocker arm’s trunion bore. Just cheap insurance not to end up with needle bearings all through your engine. They are only $119 from BTR.
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression they were overa $1K so I will add that to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo1059 View Post
I'd consider a new heat exchanger. Ron Davis makes a nice one and it's less $$ than the others. That's what I went with. The stock one is so thin.
Pgreat advice and I've already got a KD Inovations one ready to go in.

How hard can it be...

Old 07-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Hey All,

I'm currently in the parts hording phase of my buid on my ZL1. Thanks to some really great threads here on C5 I've learned a lot and I think I have a decent game plan for my build. My goals at the end of this are to maintain the drive ability that my stock ZL1 currently has as my DD but jack up its racing potential just a bit. I use my car for work daily (30K mile in 18 months) and weekend race with it (think HellCat/GT500 spanking HP). Currently I have been doing lots of AutoX and HPDE days at some local tracks. I've got some drag racing dates planned out as well so you can see I'm after a car that can do it all. Thats why I got a ZL1.

Currently have;
CAI
SS 1-7/8" headers & cat delete
Cam Motion Stage 2 camshaft
KD Innovation heat exchanger
SCT tuner
Bo White ported TB
ATI Balancer
Melling oil pump #10296
RotoFab Supercharger Expansion tank

Still planning on;
18% lower pulley = 9.17" lower
Balancer bolt - ARP
Matching belt tensioner kit
H/D timing chain
850 Injectors
BAP fuel pump booster
Valvespring upgrade
BTR Trunion upgrade
**dyno tune

So what I am asking of my fellow C5 friends is this;
1- if you've done a similar type build is there anything you'd do different?
2- is there anything I'm missing? Not gaskets and obvious stuff. Big items.
3- from your experience is this a smooth easy to use package for driving?
4- is the 18% enough to compensate for the exhaust upgrade? Do more or less?
** what I mean is I know there is a boost drop with the addition of headers

Thats all I'm after here and just some advice if anyone has any. I'm certainly not new to Hot Rodding but I'm also not arrogant enough to not accept advice from others who either do these kind of builds or have done them. Not sure who I will get to install the cam as my choices in Vancouver are not as easy as going to someone like Davenport who have a steller reputation.

Thanks in advance for your input and I will continue to do my best putting Mustangs and Challengers in their place.
Good Morning Todd,

I would suggest,

22% pulley
50mm Idler pulley
Correct belt
ID-850s

To go along with your current mods

Clutch, Brake pads, Stainless brake lines, High temp brake fluid, Drag radials are some Items I see in your future.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
Todd in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Good Morning Todd,

I would suggest,

22% pulley
50mm Idler pulley
Correct belt
ID-850s

To go along with your current mods

Clutch, Brake pads, Stainless brake lines, High temp brake fluid, Drag radials are some Items I see in your future.

Ted.
Thanks Ted. I'm curious of the power difference between the 18 and 22% pulley. I do DD this car so I do want to make sure I maintain the drivability of the car and I am cautious of making to much of a weekend warrior out of it. On the other items they are already done with the exception of the clutch.

How hard can it be...

Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
ZL1 Lingenfelter

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I think you would be better served to go with a custom tune, as a programmer can only do so much. For example, heat is a MAJOR issue with these cars making power, so you want to be sure to turn your coolant pump on early (just after start up), turn your coolant fans on early (about 170 deg) and run a 160 stat. Also- A/F ratios go down the tubes without headers and at LEAST high flow cats or a cat delete. The stock cats go into CAT overtemp which dumps fuel to keep them cool - costing power that you likely cannot adjust for with a handheld. Just a suggestion. dont invest so much, and tune so little.
ZL1 Lingenfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
For that much a daily driver and if I knew then what I know now. I would go AGP twins.
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #13
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyZL-1 View Post
For that much a daily driver and if I knew then what I know now. I would go AGP twins.
Me too.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
Todd in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Lingenfelter View Post
I think you would be better served to go with a custom tune, as a programmer can only do so much. For example, heat is a MAJOR issue with these cars making power, so you want to be sure to turn your coolant pump on early (just after start up), turn your coolant fans on early (about 170 deg) and run a 160 stat. Also- A/F ratios go down the tubes without headers and at LEAST high flow cats or a cat delete. The stock cats go into CAT overtemp which dumps fuel to keep them cool - costing power that you likely cannot adjust for with a handheld. Just a suggestion. dont invest so much, and tune so little.
Good advice and when the cam goes in it'll be going on the dyno for a custom tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyZL-1 View Post
Funny enough I've got anther project that I am looking at a twin turbo set up for it.

How hard can it be...