Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
7secondmalibu

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS
Inferno Orange Metallic Tri Coat?

I need some paint work done to my car and the dealership said a TSB was released and said inferno orange metallic is now a tri coat. He said since it's now a tri coat it's real expensive. I looked the paint up for my friend this past summer and it's base coat / clear coat. Anyone know anything different? I think they're smoking something.
7secondmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
It is Tri-coat. Or so I've been told as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
all i know is its a 325 upcharge on the sticker
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
7secondmalibu

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS
I know that yellow is an upcharge color and it's not tri coat. It's more to do with pigment cost so I've been told.

Still can't figure out why my paint code has BC/CC on it and the dealer says tri coat. I've searched the web and the only tri coat I find is a white pearl tri coat. Nothing for inferno orange metallic.
7secondmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
My RJT is a tricoat. I bought the paintscratch.com touch up paint pens. I had to get two colors to do this. The basecoat is the darker of the two pens, followed by a light red almost pink "tint coat"

Inferno orange was still listed as clearcoat on paintscratch.com But maybe they are adding the gold flake in the tintcoat now?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
earn88hardt

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SS
Just painted some small parts it's base/clear
earn88hardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
stirthepot

Drives: 2010
it is Not tri-coat
stirthepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Then why the upcharge?
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
earn88hardt

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SS
It wasn't at first RJT at first was the only upcharge then some of the other colors became an upcharge.
earn88hardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Do you think the upcharge on the colors are because of them being exclusive only to the Camaro?

I don't think I've seen IOM on another vehicle such as the impala. Also Rally Yellow now is an upcharge, and I don't think that is available on other vehicles as well.

I have seen RJT, on the Impala, Malibu, and Traverse. But I do know it is a tri coat as I had to touch up paint chips.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
stirthepot

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Then why the upcharge?
I don't know. That is a question for gm. We can only speculate. Maybe they just wanted to make a few extra bucks on a color they knew would be popular
stirthepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
No.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
THE RED JEWEL TINCOAT IS TRICOAT
My son made a small dent in my camaro on the fender with the door of my truck, he made a barely noticeable scratch, I went to the dealer's bodyshop, I had only 3 months after buying my car, the bodyshop manager tried to fix it, but he didn't , after 3 attempts and 6 weeks with my car, started to be a problem for the whole fender, so this Tuesday I went to picked up my car, it was abandoned, was covered in dust, the paint was dripping, and the color was darker, so I decided to take my car, because I did not want to run more risks, and end with a car like a rainbow ,Well, I complained about what they did to my camaro and for my money

this was made for dealer's bodyshop: the fender does not match
my car is now in another body shop, they made TEST PRACTICE PANEL, to see how it turns out and keep your practice Comparing to the vehicle color work, Before they attempt spraying the vehicle!.

I will post a pic when it finished. well here is finished

Last edited by DWALEX; 11-19-2010 at 08:03 PM.
DWALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
Any color that has the word "Tri-coat" has three different coats of paint applied at the factory. The first is a basecoat of color. Next a second coat of transparent color, called the midcoat is applied and finally, a coat of clearcoat. The midcoat color is applied very thin and adds additional depth to the paint. In order to successfully match a tri-coat, you should practice on a scrap piece of metal or plastic.

Note:
Applying midcoats is more difficult than a regular base-coat/clearcoat combination but with some practice you can achieve satisfactory results. Because these can be very tricky, you may want to consider having a professional apply this paint or leave the entire job to a collision shop. However, it is also a very expensive repair job in the shop so why not try it yourself first to see how it turns out!

Metallic paints should be blended into the existing paint. There are many factors which influence the color of metallic paint. It is impossible to apply the new spray paint exactly like the original finish, even with professional equipment. Several factors influence the color:1. The angle and depth of metallic flakes2. Air Pressure of the spray equipment 3. Temperature 4. High Humidity5. Distance from the spray gun to the surface.6. Thickness of the paint.

Last edited by DWALEX; 11-08-2010 at 09:41 AM.
DWALEX is offline   Reply With Quote