Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #155
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Agree, go with the fastest simplest solution for Camaro's on order or waiting on dealer lots for delivery. Just a temporary fix until GM can come up with a better solution for the current +500,000 already on the road.
GM needs to rethink the 'quick fix' for 1/2 million Camaro's already on the road. If this was really a safety issue, why aren't we being warned not to drive our autos?
I like the flip-key because it is less bulky in my pocket and an exposed key more likely put a hole in your skinny jeans pants pocket (LOL).
Sad but strangely funny: For the last six weeks my dealership has been sending me letters and emails weekly wanting me to trade my low mileage 2011 (they need more quality used cars to sell). Offering many $1,000s in incentives / rebates to trade my 2011 low mileage Camaro on anything new GM. This six week snail mail & email campaign to trade my Camaro ends last day of June. Both sad & funny that if I went to my dealership tomorrow, took advantage of $1000's in savings on a new 2014 Camaro the dealership could not currently resale my slightly used 2011 they say they want or let me drive off the lot in a factory new 2014 Camaro.
Shame on GM for holding back delivery of Camaro's ordered. Shame on GM for this half-ass fix (a fob with a flip key button that no longer works!). Shame that GM has not only pissed off the Camaro community with this half ass effort to fix a possible issue but left their dealerships with money tied up in inventory they can not sell.
Going to take a long time before the current wave of auto recalls gets worked out that GM started and now affecting the global auto industry. My guess, ten years from now, some of the current GM recalls will be viewed as stupid and as unwarranted as the 1980s Audi 5000 acceleration issues that history has proven was unwarranted.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #156
DefiantXSoldier

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
Update from my dealership...

Tomorrow I will be picking up my 2014 2SS/RS/1LE that was ordered a long time ago and has been held for ransom at the dealership since the day I signed my contract on 6/17. Before I signed my contract and traded in my 2010 2SS/RS I told them that I absolutely do not want the switchblade keys swapped out for the recall key.

I talked to them today and have gotten the okay from their GM rep to allow me to pick up my car tomorrow with 3-4 sets of keys. The 2 original switchblade keys (fobs attached) and 1 or 2 of the recall keys with it's own fob. I will be signing a paper as well acknowledging that there is a recall on the car and that I will be choosing to not participate. But to cover their ass which is fine by me, they will be giving me the recall key as well.

This post is to inform any other new owner out there that there is a way to keep your original keys. I will post back tomorrow with proof to silence the doubters.
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #157
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSTRSS View Post
Here's what the ugly fix looks like

:l aughabove:

As if I would take my car to a dealer to downgrade! My knee comes nowhere near the key no matter how hard I try

TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #158
Akalopi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
my dealer told me they have shipped my key for the car but the dealership doesn't even know its a new key they keep saying its a new ignition switch... It's kind of disappointing how much gm isn't letting there dealers know and they have no clue where its being shipped from or have a date when its going to arrive.....honestly gm needs to compensate us for this TOTAL BS or at least the dealers compensate us for holding our baby's hostage!
Akalopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #159
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I sent an email to roger at emblempros to design a inlay that would make the hacked key fob an excellent place to install a milled inlay that has 1LE or ZL1 or Camaro. Think about it, if even 10 percent get the recall and you could buy a custom inlay to fill the void it would be a good money maker.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #160
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
I sent an email to roger at emblempros to design a inlay that would make the hacked key fob an excellent place to install a milled inlay that has 1LE or ZL1 or Camaro. Think about it, if even 10 percent get the recall and you could buy a custom inlay to fill the void it would be a good money maker.
That's genious! i'm sure they can do custom inlays
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #161
14sw1le

Drives: 2014 summit white 2SS/RS/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantXSoldier View Post
Update from my dealership...

Tomorrow I will be picking up my 2014 2SS/RS/1LE that was ordered a long time ago and has been held for ransom at the dealership since the day I signed my contract on 6/17. Before I signed my contract and traded in my 2010 2SS/RS I told them that I absolutely do not want the switchblade keys swapped out for the recall key.

I talked to them today and have gotten the okay from their GM rep to allow me to pick up my car tomorrow with 3-4 sets of keys. The 2 original switchblade keys (fobs attached) and 1 or 2 of the recall keys with it's own fob. I will be signing a paper as well acknowledging that there is a recall on the car and that I will be choosing to not participate. But to cover their ass which is fine by me, they will be giving me the recall key as well.

This post is to inform any other new owner out there that there is a way to keep your original keys. I will post back tomorrow with proof to silence the doubters.

YES !!! please show some proof. I cant wait to finally be able to pick up my car and be done with all of this BS. I just wanna go fast !!! credit ricky bobby
14sw1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #162
Jonquez

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Dealership just called me. He said the service department got the memo yesterday from GM and they went ahead and ordered everything, Hopefully just a few more days.
Sad that I can't go see transformers 4 in my new camaro, but hopefully it'll be worth the wait.
Jonquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #163
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Another pic of how the new Camaro key would look like. They showed me at dealership this morning during my service. They cut the old flipkey off and the chromebutton nub stays intact so even if you push it, it won't flip. Basically there remains that empty rectangular slot where the flipkey used to occupy. I'm not switching mine out for this halfcrap job.
Attached Images

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #164
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Another pic of how the new Camaro key would look like. They showed me at dealership this morning during my service. They cut the old flipkey off and the chromebutton nub stays intact so even if you push it, it won't flip. Basically there remains that empty rectangular slot where the flipkey used to occupy. I'm not switching mine out for this halfcrap job.
I wonder if you can ask them to not disable the flip part, I want to use it for a nail file or a Allen wrench for my CAI cover.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #165
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I wonder if you can ask them to not disable the flip part, I want to use it for a nail file or a Allen wrench for my CAI cover.
Sorry ...too dangerous. It could accidently dislodge while hanging from the key and cause an accident.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #166
Comwyn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
I am very disappointed in GM's proposed fix for the ignition problem. Their modification of the key fob is tacky and will not be convenient to use. I wouldn't buy a car with a key hanging from a fob like this. My first instinct is to not take my Camaro keys in to get modified, however, I have experienced the ignition issue in my Camaro. I was driving down a highway late at night when my Camaro shut off suddenly. It was a dangerous situation and I'm glad no one was behind me. It is important they fix this issue, but I think their proposed remedy is a cheap, tacky fix and can't be the only way to address this issue. I think their proposed fix might possibly devalue the vehicles because I'm not sure most drivers want a key set up like this. Has anyone heard of any possible lawsuits to push GM to find a better fix to this issue? I've been very happy with my 2011 Camaro since I bought it new in September 2010, however after seeing how GM has dragged their feet on this ignition problem and now try to rush a fix with a tacky cheap solution, this will probably be my last GM purchase.
Comwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #167
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comwyn View Post
I was driving down a highway late at night when my Camaro shut off suddenly. It was a dangerous situation and I'm glad no one was behind me.

How exactly did your Camaro just suddenly shut off???? The key got kicked while driving down the highway??
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #168
Comwyn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
How exactly did your Camaro just suddenly shut off???? The key got kicked while driving down the highway??
I think either my knee bumped the key or it was the weight of the other keys on my ring, I wasn't really sure. It took me off guard when it happened and it was just like I had shut my car off while driving. I was surprised how fast the car slowed down. I put on my flashers, coasted to the side of the road, then restarted my car. I think it was probably my knee as it often hits the key. I've adjusted my seat and steering, but it seems the most comfortable position always puts my knee near the key.
Comwyn is offline   Reply With Quote