Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
jerrold

Drives: Camaro
Status Discrepancy (Tracking Website vs. Dealer)

Hello all,

I am a newbie here and I apologize if there is an existing thread for this topic (I did not come across one), but I have a puzzling situation that I would like to share. A friend recommended this site to me.

A few months ago, I ordered a new Camaro. Up until this week, I have not been doing anything to track the status of the order on my own, only relying on updates from the dealer. A few weeks ago, the dealer called to tell me that my car had been built, and it would probably only be a matter of weeks before it would be delivered.

A few days ago, the dealer called to inform me that GM had my car on record as having already been delivered to the dealership - however, the dealer claims that they have no record of the delivery, and have not yet seen the car. I am told that GM is "looking into it" and that they would get back to me with more information when they became aware of it.

I also recently discovered the order tracking feature at chevrolet.com. The dealer provided me with a workbench number for my order, which does show the status of the car as having been delivered to the dealer and ready for pickup. The specs and window sticker are an exact match for those of the car that I had ordered, and the dealer's name is listed as the correct dealer for this order.

I guess my biggest question would be: Is it possible for the Chevrolet.com order tracking page to be updated with such a status if the car had not actually been delivered? I understand that mistakes can happen, but it seems to me that there should theoretically be some checks and balances in place to prevent something like this from happening.

Has anyone here ever had a similar experience? I welcome any advice or suggestions. Obviously, this is a bit disconcerting to me, because the impression that I am getting is that nobody seems to know where the car is at the moment, and (if the dealer is to be believed), GM has yet to provide any answers of their own on where the car might be. How in the world do you lose a new car?
jerrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
What are the odds that you ordered the car, it came in, and they sold it to someone else?

When I was having issues with finding out why my car was still sitting in Oshawa for 3 weeks AFTER it left the plant property, I had to..
Keep asking my salesman to find out
He asked his boss
Then they contacted the Regional Rep.
Then THEY contacted the Transportation Dept and finally got an answer.

I would assume that your dealer needs to get their head out of their ... and find out what's going on. At this point you should have your car's VIN and so should the dealer.

I see no reason in the world why your dealer can't find out where the car is.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
jerrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
What are the odds that you ordered the car, it came in, and they sold it to someone else?
That was my very first question to them. They swear that this did not and could not happen. I really, really, really want to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but it is becoming more difficult for me to do so (especially since we both do have the VIN of the car).

If I knew that it was within the realm of possibility for the tracking site to be updated slightly in advance of the actual delivery (meaning a day or more), I might feel a little better about this - but I don't know how close the tracking site is to real time.

And, I agree. SOMEONE has to know where this car is and how to find it. Heck, couldn't they even try using the On-Star if all else fails?

So, from your experience, I should keep the squeeze on them until I get an answer?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Can this sort of thing be looked up by the VIN number. If you post your order number here Becky might be able to look it up and get you a VIN and find out if the car was sold. I dont know 100% but I would like you can determine if its sold or not.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
If anything the tracking web page is updated after the fact. When I check on my order the GM page is always a day or two behind.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrold View Post
That was my very first question to them. They swear that this did not and could not happen. I really, really, really want to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but it is becoming more difficult for me to do so (especially since we both do have the VIN of the car).

If I knew that it was within the realm of possibility for the tracking site to be updated slightly in advance of the actual delivery (meaning a day or more), I might feel a little better about this - but I don't know how close the tracking site is to real time.

And, I agree. SOMEONE has to know where this car is and how to find it. Heck, couldn't they even try using the On-Star if all else fails?

So, from your experience, I should keep the squeeze on them until I get an answer?
I guess it might depend on whether 'delivered' means it has been put ON the train/truck and is on its way to the dealer, or if it means that it has ARRIVED at the dealer? Or it has ARRIVED at the train/trucks destination which may or may not be at the dealer itself.

Either way, if it was shipped by rail, then the dealer should be able to call the Dealer Business Center (DBC) and get the rail car number, then call and track the rail car itself at the very least.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
jerrold

Since I had the VIN, I decided to run a Carfax report on it, just out of curiosity. It showed "Vehicle offered for sale" by the dealer in question, on a date that was several weeks ago - and the day before the salesman called to tell me that my car had only just been built and would soon be shipped.

This seems very, very strange. I don't want to jump to any conclusions here, but - does anyone know who supplies new car information to Carfax? Does that come from the manufacturer, or the dealer, or someone else?

I'm starting to think that the car was sold to someone else, right out from under me.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
HDRDTD

At least Carfax didn't list it as already sold.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
jerrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
At least Carfax didn't list it as already sold.
True. I decided to engage Chevrolet customer service myself, and asked them to try to get to the bottom of the situation. I heard back from the dealer shortly thereafter, and the dealer now claims that they know for a fact that the car has never been on their property, is still in transit, and should probably be arriving at their lot within a few days. And, they insisted that the car that is delivered will have the same VIN as the car that I am expecting to purchase. So, in short, every tracking mechanism that I have looked at up to this point - from Chevrolet's own order tracking page to Carfax - is incorrect, according to the dealer.

How could this happen? I have no idea. I do know that the first thing that I plan to check when this vehicle arrives at the dealer is the VIN - and the second thing that I look at will be the odometer.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice. It is all very much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
panther2469

Drives: 2011 2SS RS SIM Litho # 193
Quote:
True. I decided to engage Chevrolet customer service myself, and asked them to try to get to the bottom of the situation. I heard back from the dealer shortly thereafter, and the dealer now claims that they know for a fact that the car has never been on their property, is still in transit, and should probably be arriving at their lot within a few days. And, they insisted that the car that is delivered will have the same VIN as the car that I am expecting to purchase. So, in short, every tracking mechanism that I have looked at up to this point - from Chevrolet's own order tracking page to Carfax - is incorrect, according to the dealer.

How could this happen? I have no idea. I do know that the first thing that I plan to check when this vehicle arrives at the dealer is the VIN - and the second thing that I look at will be the odometer.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice. It is all very much appreciated.
Did you try here http://www.camarotracking.com/ to see what the status is. I would give it a try
Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Steveb

Drives: 68 SS clone,2011 2LT RS convertible
Mine showed up at the dealer this morning. The web site has not updated past 4800
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
jerrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther2469 View Post
Did you try here http://www.camarotracking.com/ to see what the status is. I would give it a try
Thanks for the tip. This is what I got back from the above site:

"04/21/2011 - Vehicle has been entered into the system and will be updated the following business day in most cases.", but nothing more. I assume that the feedback is not supposed to be immediate?

When I enter the same order number at http://www.chevrolet.com/ordertracking, I get "Congratulations! Your new Chevrolet is at the dealer and waiting for you." (The dealer name, VIN and car specs are all accurate.)

I guess you can't always believe everything that you read.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
panther2469

Drives: 2011 2SS RS SIM Litho # 193
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. This is what I got back from the above site:

"04/21/2011 - Vehicle has been entered into the system and will be updated the following business day in most cases.", but nothing more. I assume that the feedback is not supposed to be immediate?

When I enter the same order number at http://www.chevrolet.com/ordertracking, I get "Congratulations! Your new Chevrolet is at the dealer and waiting for you." (The dealer name, VIN and car specs are all accurate.)

I guess you can't always believe everything that you read.
I think the best thing to do would be to post your order # here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...1115&page=1168 And ask Becky to look it up for you she is the best and will help you out.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
jerrold

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther2469 View Post
I think the best thing to do would be to post your order # here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...1115&page=1168 And ask Becky to look it up for you she is the best and will help you out.
Just got an update back from camarotracking.com ...

"04/15/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer."

The car ain't there. <sigh>

I guess I could take your next suggestion and try Becky. Maybe I will do that later on, but somehow, I have a feeling that she is going to come up with the same thing.