Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Me too! Two examples of the best performance pony cars from GM in 45 years Not really sure what a gen six SS w 1LE has to do with a gen 5Z, unless you're looking simply at price point.
Well price point is one thing but also being faster at Laguna seca then the gen 5 z28 says a lot about the gen6 1le .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
LateBrakeU2

Drives: SIM 15 Z/28 GT350R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Well price point is one thing but also being faster at Laguna seca then the gen 5 z28 says a lot about the gen6 1le .
If you're going to go apples 2, compare the Z to the ZL1 1LE, they both represent the high point in performance for their gen. if you compare the RPO 1LE in gen five to six, case closed. 6 1LE is an amazing car for the money, not only will it eclipse a GT350 for 15k less, it keeps the R honest so quite an overachiever. Problem is the 1LE's never get resale love, which is good if you're considering used.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #17
Miss Delgado

Drives: Toyota Prius
Quote:
If you're going to go apples 2, compare the Z to the ZL1 1LE, they both represent the high point in performance for their gen. if you compare the RPO 1LE in gen five to six, case closed. 6 1LE is an amazing car for the money, not only will it eclipse a GT350 for 15k less, it keeps the R honest so quite an overachiever. Problem is the 1LE's never get resale love, which is good if you're considering used.
Honest and forthright comparison.
Miss Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #18
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
you can buy a like new Z/28 for less than a new 1LE
Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #19
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
I don't think you can compare the Z28 to ZL1 1Le it just don't match up outside of the price point . I do believe the gen6 1le vs gen5 Z28 is a closer match up .
Old 12-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Z/28 is cooler than any other Camaro. Whoever disagrees, never owned a Z/28 or currently owns a new Camaro.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #21
dgreenberg

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #352, 2013 ZL1 Vert (SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
I don't think you can compare the Z28 to ZL1 1Le it just don't match up outside of the price point . I do believe the gen6 1le vs gen5 Z28 is a closer match up .

The Z/28 and the ZL1 1LE serve the exact same purpose, just 4 years apart. Real downforce, track focused suspension (no mag ride), bespoke tires. Out to be the best 4 seat track day car fresh from the factory.

Iím not saying the gen 6 1LE isnít freaking awesome because it truly is for the price. I also had a gen 5 1LE which is why I took it one step further and bought a z/28. But when you compare the new 1LE to the z/28 the only thing it has in common is the lap time. Nothing really bespoke about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgreenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #22
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenberg View Post
The Z/28 and the ZL1 1LE serve the exact same purpose, just 4 years apart. Real downforce, track focused suspension (no mag ride), bespoke tires. Out to be the best 4 seat track day car fresh from the factory.

Iím not saying the gen 6 1LE isnít freaking awesome because it truly is for the price. I also had a gen 5 1LE which is why I took it one step further and bought a z/28. But when you compare the new 1LE to the z/28 the only thing it has in common is the lap time. Nothing really bespoke about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I test drove a z28 back in august and it was my first choice to replace my 2014 1Le . My second choice was a 2016 Z51 corvette ,which i drove earlier in the day and didn't care for it . When i first sat into the Z28 and noticed it had the same stereo as my 2010 ss, i was put off . Starting the Z was great , that car really comes to life . Driving the car it don't take long to figure out what is was built for but by the end of the ride i was trying to talk my self into liking it but couldn't do it, never even made them an offer . Few days later decided to test drive a 2018 1le for the hell of it and was blown away ,it drove the way i expected the corvette to drive . I don't miss my 2014 1le at all or passing up the Z28 ,but at the same time i can see why people would buy a Z28 .
Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #23
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
Z/28 is cooler than any other Camaro. Whoever disagrees, never owned a Z/28 or currently owns a new Camaro.
It is cool i will give you that .
Old 12-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #24
Og Neon

Drives: 2008 Evo X, 2014 Z/28
I find the timing perfect for this link.
I track my Z/28 pretty much every weekend (literally 4x this month) and I am pretty dialed into it and I was on my home track. This weekend I was running Nt01s and had an average time of 1:49 and that is running in PTM 5 or sometimes all off. Towards the end of the day my buddy let me take his SS 1LE out that is bone stock with an alignment and I clicked off a 1:50 running at about 80% and PTM 3 (dialed it back since it wasn't my car). That absolutely shocked me that the car was that fast that easy. I only did a handful of laps, but I know if I turned it up a notch and got dialed in, I would surpass my Z/28. Needless to say I am now rethinking the ZL1 1LE, I can only imagine how wicked that car really is in the right hands! Its also a kick in the nuts when the new kid on the block is as fast as your tried and true work horse!
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #25
DavidCorsaro
Hamfist Racing

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
I track my Z/28 pretty much every weekend (literally 4x this month) and I am pretty dialed into it and I was on my home track. This weekend I was running Nt01s and had an average time of 1:49 and that is running in PTM 5 or sometimes all off. Towards the end of the day my buddy let me take his SS 1LE out that is bone stock with an alignment and I clicked off a 1:50 running at about 80% and PTM 3 (dialed it back since it wasn't my car). That absolutely shocked me that the car was that fast that easy. I only did a handful of laps, but I know if I turned it up a notch and got dialed in, I would surpass my Z/28. Needless to say I am now rethinking the ZL1 1LE, I can only imagine how wicked that car really is in the right hands! Its also a kick in the nuts when the new kid on the block is as fast as your tried and true work horse!
This is exactly where I'm at right now. I was initially dead set on moving on to a '17 Grand Sport 1LT with Z07 and CCBs for the 2018 season but something was holding me back mentally. Perhaps it being not special enough to replace the Z/28.

The ZL1 1LE, however, is something pretty damn wicked. It really is an overwhelming achievement by team Camaro much in the same way the Z/28 was three years ago. I just wish CCBs were an option box, even though Al O. says their price didn't warrant them being offered. I'd pay for them again just for the sole fact of saving 8 to 10lb a corner.

I'll likely be in one before January. That said, the Z/28 is handsdown the best car I have ever owned, period.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #26
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2015 AGM 2SS 1LE
If there was some theoretical scenario where I had a choice between a Z28 and a 6th gen 1LE, I'd pick the Z. I'd find the 'rough around the edges' aspect more rewarding, despite potentially being slower on some tracks.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #27
z28monster

Drives: 15 Z28, 14 GT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
H/C/I 427's C6 Z06's sound incredible, but to hear the screams from Z/28 pipes is just plain wicked and pulls harder than the kick in nuts you're looking for

...I think your Z/28 needs some H/C/I

Last edited by z28monster; 12-11-2017 at 09:46 PM.
z28monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #28
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2RSS 1LE
The tone of most of this conversation is irrelevant.

Everybody knows the 6th gen chassis is a significant improvement to the 5th gen chassis. What else is there to talk about? Do you really need to seek some kind of justification either way?

The 5th gen Camaro Z/28 was and is an awesome car, a fantastic achievement FOR IT'S DAY.

(really, someone is going to complain about the stereo in the Z/28?! Asinine bs. Do you have any clue what the car was made for?)

Let's face facts. A new Honda Odyssey is WAY better of a sports car than some incredible classic - like the Jaguar E-Type. For that matter, I bet that Honda minivan could put a hurting on any classic sports car. Who cares, it's a boring minivan.

Ok, I agree, it's good to compare the new stuff to the greats of the past. I get it. However, I can't help but sense a bit of desperate, clingy need to prove (something?). The only thing that had to be proved was proved by GM, being able to make something good, better. The rest of us just buy the cool stuff that they make.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote