Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #57
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
We look forward to testing it out! Looks great!
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #58
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Well, I'm pretty happy with the fueling I'm seeing. I installed a wideband o2 sensor & gauge on the car today, and the intake is within the normal range (avg 14.5:1 at cruise), at WOT the intake is at about 12.2:1 avg, which I think is very safe, especially when most tuners are tuning for 12.5 to 13.0:1 (depending on the tuner, and the application) at WOT, so we're good to go!

Essentially the intake is now finished design wise, the only thing that will change is it's appearance (finished lid, slight change in the tube, permanent MAF mount, different color options). Going to call and try to get an appointment to get the production prototype intake vs stock intake on the dyno again this Friday! Fingers crossed it's as good, or better than the original prototype was!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #59
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Well, I'm pretty happy with the fueling I'm seeing. I installed a wideband o2 sensor & gauge on the car today, and the intake is within the normal range (avg 14.5:1 at cruise), at WOT the intake is at about 12.2:1 avg, which I think is very safe, especially when most tuners are tuning for 12.5 to 13.0:1 (depending on the tuner, and the application) at WOT, so we're good to go!

Essentially the intake is now finished design wise, the only thing that will change is it's appearance (finished lid, slight change in the tube, permanent MAF mount, different color options). Going to call and try to get an appointment to get the production prototype intake vs stock intake on the dyno again this Friday! Fingers crossed it's as good, or better than the original prototype was!

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #60
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
So with that much flow are you throwing codes on the stock tune like some other intakes do?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #61
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
So with that much flow are you throwing codes on the stock tune like some other intakes do?

a lot of that has to do with altering the placement of the maf (angles) too much makes it SEEM like flow is altered but they all flow very similar numbers based on CFM.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #62
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post

As of right now between the original prototype and this new one, I have put about 5000 miles on the car, 5 dyno pulls, and about 25 1/4 mile track passes, and the check engine light has not come on once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
a lot of that has to do with altering the placement of the maf (angles) too much makes it SEEM like flow is altered but they all flow very similar numbers based on CFM.
I agree about the MAF placement, and angles, but I wouldn't call a 100+ CFM difference over all of the tested competition "very similar" (personally )

Forgot I haven't posted a picture of the most recent iteration, so it's pictured below. It's not the production lid, just a quick lid I made and stuck on there... The only change to the tube is that it will have a barb fitting welded on for the intake air bridge (I didn't bother welding one on since I have the RX Catch can, and would need to cap it anyway.). The MAF block was just siliconed on in this picture as I knew I was going to have to probably move it around a couple times. The MAF if is now located on the front side of the tube section of the velocity stack / filter clamp piece and will be permanently attached (NOT siliconed) on production intakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 09-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #63
vam5555

Drives: 2017 2SS 6mt, garnet red
that looks awesome.

Can't wait for the next update on this.
vam5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #64
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
no kidding...hurry up and get this thing done!! HAHA
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #65
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
"The MAF if is now located on the front side of the tube"

That is what I was thinking looking at the picture. I would try and center it in the straight section. I believe GM says centered on a minimum of a 6" section of straight pipe. You could probably fudge that measurement into the bend a little if need be.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #66
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
"The MAF if is now located on the front side of the tube"

That is what I was thinking looking at the picture. I would try and center it in the straight section. I believe GM says centered on a minimum of a 6" section of straight pipe. You could probably fudge that measurement into the bend a little if need be.
You must have read that before I edited it... It is now on the front side of the tubular section of the plastic velocity stack/filter clamp piece (It was previously in about a 10:30 o'clock position, now in about a 2:00 position.). I played with the distance, moving it in and out and it seems to be happy where it's located. I am not noticing any strange symptoms of it not having 6" of straight tube in front of it. It seems very drivable to me, no strange bucking or surging. I am trying to avoid putting the MAF sensor into the aluminum tube section as it would probably increase the IAT readings vs keeping it in the plastic section. Moving the MAF into the aluminum tube is a last resort, but it seems pretty happy where it is in regards to both fueling, and drivability.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #67
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
As of right now between the original prototype and this new one, I have put about 5000 miles on the car, 5 dyno pulls, and about 25 1/4 mile track passes, and the check engine light has not come on once.

I agree about the MAF placement, and angles, but I wouldn't call a 100+ CFM difference over all of the tested competition "very similar" (personally )

Forgot I haven't posted a picture of the most recent iteration, so it's pictured below. It's not the production lid, just a quick lid I made and stuck on there... The only change to the tube is that it will have a barb fitting welded on for the intake air bridge (I didn't bother welding one on since I have the RX Catch can, and would need to cap it anyway.). The MAF block was just siliconed on in this picture as I knew I was going to have to probably move it around a couple times. The MAF if is now located on the front side of the tube section of the velocity stack / filter clamp piece and will be permanently attached (NOT siliconed) on production intakes.
100 cfm difference between many different intakes is incrementally small but between the best and worst, pretty big.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #68
thepirate

Drives: 2013 2SS
This really does look awesome. And i like how you have never said anything but good things about other intakes like CAI's intake.

I might just wait to see how this all comes together before i pull the trigger on a CAI.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #69
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
"I am not noticing any strange symptoms of it not having 6" of straight tube in front"

You should not. What I was trying to say is that you need 3" in front and back of the MAF to straighten out the air for a total of 6" of straight. That is per the GM instructions on installing the card style MAF in a 4" piece of tubing. Sounds like you have it and a very nice product to boot. I think you have a winner there.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #70
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
100 cfm difference between many different intakes is incrementally small but between the best and worst, pretty big.
How about 100+ over all other intakes tested so far.

+106.4 (over a popular tube and cone filter style intake, the next best in line)
+149.1 (over a popular OTR style intake... Yes... That really happened)
+202.2 (over kind of an oddball intake, w/ a tube & oval filter, the worst so far)

I've got one still to test, and one more in the mail that will be here this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepirate View Post
This really does look awesome. And i like how you have never said anything but good things about other intakes like CAI's intake.

I might just wait to see how this all comes together before i pull the trigger on a CAI.
There is no sense in bashing other companies products, for the most part they all look nice and most seem to perform well to the feel, and all have different power bands.

Unfortunately, more than I vendor, I see myself as a regular guy... What I don't approve of is manufacturers claiming ludicrous info and not wanting to explain how that info was come up with, and no documentation of how it was tested. I have no reason to lie to anyone, or falsify anything, I would rather someone bought my product and hopefully think they would get what I claim based real world testing performed to the best of my ability, not because I spewed out a number with undocumented testing (and not necessarily a HP related number in some cases). If you want to claim something, you gotta have proof of how you came up with that claim.

Tags
cai, dyno, intake, jacfab, velocity