Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
You Won't
Nothin wrong with dreamin

Drives: Camaro SS
Question Question about battery tender

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Not real sure where to put it.

So I am pretty sure my battery is getting weak. I don't really have the extra cash to replace it currently. I know to some that the cost of the battery is probably not that substantial and normally it would not be to me but everyone has their own trials and tribulations. Anyway, I have a Yuasa Smartshot 900 battery tender/maintainer that I used to use on my bike before I sold the bike. Someone made me an "offer I couldn't refuse" lol! I was wondering if it would work to just keep the charge up when I am not driving it. I am only having the issue with the battery seeming to drain when it is below about 50 degrees. As long as I drive it everyday it seems to be ok but if it sits for more than a day without being driven then it has a hard time starting. I'm sure I need a new battery but like I said I can not afford one at the moment. I am thinking that the tender may work to just keep it up but will take a long time to charge it. Just need to use it for a month or 2 to help me along until I get some things lined out. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The details on the tender are as follows:
Input: 120Vac 0.18Aac 60Hz
Output: 12Vdc 900mAdc
You Won't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Please provide more info: how old is the battery, how often do you go for weeks without starting the car, and most important, are there any aftermarket electrical devices in the car?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
You Won't

2010 manufacutred in Sept 09 with the original battery. Nothing added electrical wise. Not trying to be a smart ass but I'm not sure what that has to do with whether or not the battery tender will serve the purpose until I can get the battery replaced. It only sits 3 days max at any given time. Also as I stated, I only have issues with it when it gets below about 50 degrees outside. If it stays above 50 I don't have a single issue with it starting under the same conditions.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Won't View Post
2010 manufacutred in Sept 09 with the original battery. Nothing added electrical wise. Not trying to be a smart ass but I'm not sure what that has to do with whether or not the battery tender will serve the purpose until I can get the battery replaced. It only sits 3 days max at any given time. Also as I stated, I only have issues with it when it gets below about 50 degrees outside. If it stays above 50 I don't have a single issue with it starting under the same conditions.
The questions have to do with the age of the battery and how it has been treated.

I have a 2010 also, with original battery. In winter, the car sits with the tender attached for six straight months, but during the driving season, I have left the car for as long as two weeks at a time with no problem. A normal battery should be doing better than yours. I don't think the problem is reversible by attaching a battery tender, but you may be able to keep going for a while longer if you use it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
MATTESONDM

Drives: 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10
That tender will work, and probably buy you a month or so. If your battery is that bad then just start saving to buy a new one while its on charge.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Havent used a Yuasa but I have heard they are good.

I have used the Battery Tender brand as well as the Ctek 4.3

Love the ctek so far, and its 7 levels of battery maintaining. Got it on Amazon for around 60 bucks.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Battery tender user here. Have used it for years when the cars are not in daily use.
Even the daily driver gets hooked up now that the weather is cool.
before I had the BT I would not get more than 3 years out of a battery.
Well worth a try, what do you have to loose?
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
You Won't

Thanks everyone. It always worked great on my bike I just wasn't sure if it would really work for my car.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:45 PM   #9
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I use the same battery tender on my motorcycles as I use on the cars. The only difference with the lower output is if your car battery is discharged, it will take longer to charge because of its larger capacity, but it will charge.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote