Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
DIY - Langka Chip Repair: Fixing the gill chips.

I know I've babbled on for the last few weeks about putting together a couple of videos on how to use the Langka chip repair system to show everyone here on Camaro5. So now they are done, and they are much like the Junkman's videos, nothing special; just a guy in his garage production.

Don't make too much fun of me guys, I'm no pro; I just wanted to help some of ya'll out I'm not going to battle Adam's vs. (insert product here) in this thread, I'm just showing everyone how to use this great Langka kit.

I have used the blob eliminator in the past, and been very happy with the results. Since everyone in our Camaro community is affected by this issue, I figured I would show everyone how to fix it.

In this two video series, I will show you how to do everything from applying the touchup paint; all the way to re-applying a layer of protection.

I hope ya'll enjoy... Don't forget to turn these guys on 720p HD!

Part 1 - Day 1, applying touchup paint to the chips. Only thing I have to add to the notes on this one, is that I had already used the paint cleaner before I started shooting this vid, and I did not demonstrate how to apply the cleaner.

Part 2 - Day 2, removing the excess "blob" and correcting clear coat damage; and of course my conclusion. I had to edit this one quite a bit, because it ran almost 14min, so I cut out a lot of me rambling on about nonsense and me buffing the car out.

Last edited by 2LTRS; 04-27-2010 at 04:59 PM.
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Tecca

Drives: ...
Killer nice job,

Oooh and Adams better send you a shirt and a straw hat
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Out-freakin'-standing!

You stressed the most important part of the Langka System, and that is the 24 hour wait time. That's why I said it could takes a week or longer to address all you chips. Most guys make the mistake of not waiting long enough and rushing the repair. They also forget to clean the chip PRIOR to attempting the repair. The paint will not stick to the chip if it is full of wax or dirt. That stuff has got to be removed first.

Good tip about not rubbing too hard too. Now get yourself some waterless wash towels and quit using those nice super plush white towels! Save them for removing polish and wax. They are super nice, huh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
Killer nice job,

Oooh and Adams better send you a shirt and a straw hat
Only one person wears the straw hat!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Actually I like prefer the white towels for WCW because I can see the dirt. The dark blue WCW towels make it difficult to see the grit on the towel, so its hard to tell what area to stay away from. My great white waffle weave was in the washer... So double soft had to do the trick.

I've never been much of straw hat kinda guy.. I do own a couple of cowboy hats though... Maybe next time

Getting Adam's apparel is harder than stealing off the Junkman's BBQ!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Thanks, nice vids. That helped me a lot.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
i repaired a couple of chips last weekend, but didn't use anything other than the GM repair paint from the dealer. would it be difficult to use the blob eliminator to get rid of the blobs left if i order it now and do this on the weekend. about 8-10 days of paint being dry.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
i repaired a couple of chips last weekend, but didn't use anything other than the GM repair paint from the dealer. would it be difficult to use the blob eliminator to get rid of the blobs left if i order it now and do this on the weekend. about 8-10 of paint being dry.
You should be good, just take your time.

Not sure as I am not a Adams guy, but try for adams shirt and hats
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
You should be good, just take your time.

Not sure as I am not a Adams guy, but try for adams shirt and hats
That's not the "official" Adam's website, that's one of their dealers. Don't want anyone to mistake it as one.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
i repaired a couple of chips last weekend, but didn't use anything other than the GM repair paint from the dealer. would it be difficult to use the blob eliminator to get rid of the blobs left if i order it now and do this on the weekend. about 8-10 days of paint being dry.
It will still work. You may need to use a little more elbow grease than you see me using, because the harder the touchup paint gets the more difficult it is to remove. At least the paint is dry - AJ's correct when he says most people don't wait the 24hrs for the paint to dry before attempting removal. Because the paint is still so soft, it removes all of paint inside the chip.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
good to know, just ordered it!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

It's a good kit. The time it takes to repair a chip is the only downfall if you want to call it that. Like anything, good results take time which is hard to sell in this microwave society we live in now.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Nice Job, Really appreciate it. Thanks
ShadoChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Nice video Ryan.

I have a couple questions. In looking at the chips, couldn't the larger one have stood another coat of touch up paint to bring the level closer to the factory paint?

Lastly, shouldn't you wait for 30 days before applying the wax?
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Awesome video Ryan! I'm still waiting on the Junkmans Dr. Colorchip vs. Lanka videos but man that Lanka system did do an amazing job.

I've heard that metallic paint is harder to fill/match, any truth to that at all?
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote