Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #43
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
the G37 was either a full second or half a second ahead of the genesis to 60 and even faster than it in the quarter if you call that imperceptible.......your weird
and the g37 is not basically a Z, the Z is a hell of alot faster than the G and for the same price as the tested Genesis would murder it performance wise.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #44
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
the G37 was either a full second or half a second ahead of the genesis to 60 and even faster than it in the quarter if you call that imperceptible.......your weird
and the g37 is not basically a Z, the Z is a hell of alot faster than the G and for the same price as the tested Genesis would murder it performance wise.
+100000

saying the g35 is basically a Z is like saying the Z is basically a 911
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #45
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Quote:
You make it sound like a Geo Metro in comparison. Unless you're taking it to the track and dragging it, which the vast majority of buyers won't be doing, a half-second of acceleration difference is not going to be that perceptible when you take it out for a weekend drive and have some fun with it. If you drive a G37 on a day trip, then the next day drive the Genesis Coupe back, you're not going to say, "Man this thing is a freaking dog and I didn't think I'd ever make it back."

My point was that some people aren't going to be buying a collection of statistics. They're going to be buying a sports car that's close enough in performance to be competitive with the rest of the class.

And for those who absolutely have to have that extra half-second of 0-60 time on the way to work or to the mall, as I said before...the $5,000 you save on the purchase price will be enough to mod it to where you're making that up and then some.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #46
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
^^^ Dude are you serious^^^^ The Z and Camaro will eat that crap up and spit it out!! I owned a 350 Z and can tell you the 370 is an awesome drive! The Camaro will beat it in V6 guise and annihilate it in V8
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #47
JaysonAych

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
+100000

saying the g35 is basically a Z is like saying the Z is basically a 911
Well, the Z and the 911 do both hit 0-60 in 4.7 seconds

But my point with G37 and Z being similar were in thinking that they both share the FM platform like the Camaro shares the Zeta with the G8 (and there's no end of comparison between the performance of those two cars around here). However looking around, some sites are saying it's on a new E-platform, though plenty of other sites say it's still on the FM platform. If it is indeed on a new platform, then that explains my disconnect.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #48
JaysonAych

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
^^^ Dude are you serious^^^^ The Z and Camaro will eat that crap up and spit it out!!
You still don't get what I'm saying. You're still thinking about it as if at every stoplight you pull up in with your V8 Camaro, there will be a Mustang on one side and a Genesis Coupe on the other, and you will win 40 drag races on your way to work and stride up to the building in victory. If that's what you want, that's fine and I don't disagree with that at all, but I'm just pointing out that some people who buy a car in this class, whether it's a Mustang or a Camaro or a Challenger or a Genesis Coupe or a G37 or whatever...simply want a fast sportscar that accelerates briskly, handles great, looks good, is competitive with the rest of the class, and is plain fun to drive. For those who measure the enjoyment they get out of the car in ways other simply that the statline in Motor Trend that says "0-60" there will be plenty of different cars to choose from and consumers will really win out. People who want a great car in this class will have more to choose from then most any other time in recent history, and no matter what you buy, coming out of it disappointed is going to be a difficult thing to do.

Quote:
The Camaro will beat it in V6 guise and annihilate it in V8
First of all, a V8 Camaro is going to make short work of about anything in the class...that goes without saying and I never tried to compare it to that. As far as the V6 versions, I can't wait to see full on comparos with all of these cars. The Genesis Coupe may not beat a V6 Camaro in a drag race, but as both of these cars are tuned to be great-handling cars, I bet it would hold its own on a road course. It'll be fun to see what happens when the car mags get all of the cars together and throw them around.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #49
ArcAngel

Actually Jayson I do! Thats why I am getting the v6! For all those reasons you stated above ...a fast sportscar that accelerates briskly, handles great, looks good, is competitive with the rest of the class, and is plain fun to drive. I do understand it!! I belive though some people are selling the v6 Camaro wayyyy to short!! So far to be compared to the American G37 thats not bad I believe when your in the v6 its gonna take alot of people by a huge surprise!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #50
lil_chef
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonAych View Post
You make it sound like a Geo Metro in comparison. Unless you're taking it to the track and dragging it, which the vast majority of buyers won't be doing, a half-second of acceleration difference is not going to be that perceptible when you take it out for a weekend drive and have some fun with it. If you drive a G37 on a day trip, then the next day drive the Genesis Coupe back, you're not going to say, "Man this thing is a freaking dog and I didn't think I'd ever make it back."

My point was that some people aren't going to be buying a collection of statistics. They're going to be buying a sports car that's close enough in performance to be competitive with the rest of the class.

And for those who absolutely have to have that extra half-second of 0-60 time on the way to work or to the mall, as I said before...the $5,000 you save on the purchase price will be enough to mod it to where you're making that up and then some.
well, not that you knew, but i take my/dad's car to road courses to race so every second/ half second counts i guess.

the thing is i highly doubt that the genesis comes even close to matching the interior quality of the infinity. so why is it being compared to it? the genesis is a sports coupe that is around 30k (if you want the highest performance). that means its competition is the camaro ss, 370z, and mustang gt. out of its competitors the genesis is the slowest, and would require alot more than $5000 to achieve similar performance.

but your right, the average driver wont care about that second or half second when it comes to daily driving.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #51
JaysonAych

Quote:
Actually Jayson I do! Thats why I am getting the v6! For all those reasons you stated above ...a fast sportscar that accelerates briskly, handles great, looks good, is competitive with the rest of the class, and is plain fun to drive. I do understand it!! I belive though some people are selling the v6 Camaro wayyyy to short!! So far to be compared to the American G37 thats not bad I believe when your in the v6 its gonna take alot of people by a huge surprise!
Great...that's why I'm strongly considering a V6 Camaro too. It's definitely got a great package for the money, and it's going to be fantastic enough that I don't feel like my soul is going to be crushed that I couldn't get a V8.

And in the same fashion, people who make other choices to save some money despite giving up a half-second to a competitor aren't going to be disappointed with what they get.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #52
JaysonAych

Quote:
well, not that you knew, but i take my/dad's car to road courses to race so every second/ half second counts i guess.
That's why I kept stressing unless you take it racing, you won't notice. What I was describing certainly wouldn't fit your description because you DO take cars racing and WOULD notice. And that's certainly understandable why you would need to take that into consideration. My point was simply that a lot of other people won't need to take that into consideration, not that you in particular wouldn't.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #53
ArcAngel

I agree, to each his own! I will say this on this sight there is a heavy bias which leans Camaro and sometimes we get carried away! Theres an even heavier bias towards the v8 and against the v6. For us who want the balance of a near 50/50 weight ratio, great power, awesome drivability and really good mpg! The v6 is the way to go!! I look at the v6 as a true Sports Car and the V8 as a brash yet refined muscle car. IMO I will never take my car to the track or really race it. I have a cobalt SS/SC now and I enjoy it's ride , quickness and fun factor. It's not the fastest and I don't care. My Camaro 2LT will bring me great joy!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #54
lil_chef
Banned

at the end of my paragraph i agreed with you on that point buddy.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #55
JaysonAych

Cool...I hope I didn't tick anyone off or anything, and if I did I apologize. Maybe I just wasn't being as clear in my posts as I thought I was in my head...I've been hopped up on cold medicine for a week so maybe I'm not as eloquent as I could be
Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #56
ArcAngel

Im good man!!! You had more in common with me than you originally thought lol!!