Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Drives: 2011 White 2SS/RS
Unhappy GPI VVT3 Install Complete BUT...car won't start :(

SO to make a long story short, after blowing an oil pump, and having my car sit for 3 long months while I got my hands on all the parts needed to successfully install my Cam, the job has finally been completed. My builder and I go to turn the car on, and to my surprise, it STARTS...then completely shuts off due to the idle being so low. After tuning it (changing the idle times, etc..) the car still won't completely turn over. Its cranking, but won't completely kick in to start.

SO that leads me to the big question..What do you fellow Camaro enthusiast think it could be? Just wondering if you guys think it is a battery issue or not. (since it has been sitting for 3 months and has not been started or driven at all.) I went out and bought a red top Optima that I will be installing tomorrow, hoping this could fix the issue...*fingers crossed*

Also wanted to note that, I bought my cam from GPI and also the valley pan to go along with it. My builder wants to know what sensor did it delete? He thinks its the MAT sensor which could also be causing the issue and he possibly might have to delete it, but he wants to make sure he doesn't have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
My son is in 4th grade and every night he has to read for 20mins. He reads aloud to me Camaro 5, Camaro Performance, Motortrend, RC cars, and etc ever night.
RetroXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I would email Ryan Stevens <ryan@gogwatney.com> maybe he can look at the tuner's work and see what needs correction.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
If it's a L99 it must be reprogrammed, it won't run because it's looking for the AFM stuff and can't find it! Get with Ryan.
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfinger View Post
If it's a L99 it must be reprogrammed, it won't run because it's looking for the AFM stuff and can't find it! Get with Ryan.
Well, he claims the AFM has been deleted, but it still won't start. When the installation was complete, we got it to start once then it just completely died due to the low idle...now it won't start at all...I'm wondering if it's due to the fact my headers aren't welded to my exhaust...
Quote:
My son is in 4th grade and every night he has to read for 20mins. He reads aloud to me Camaro 5, Camaro Performance, Motortrend, RC cars, and etc ever night.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
trw427ss

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroXI View Post
Well, he claims the AFM has been deleted, but it still won't start. When the installation was complete, we got it to start once then it just completely died due to the low idle...now it won't start at all...I'm wondering if it's due to the fact my headers aren't welded to my exhaust...

Why would you think the headers need to be welded to the exhaust?
12.007@ 115.20 With 18" Drag Radials - 11.93 @115.19 Added a PTB 11.76 @116.59 With Yank SS3200 Converter - 11.63 @116.52 After PI and Tuning 11.44 @118.75 New Best
10.72 @127.93 after heads and Cam and Yank SS3600
trw427ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
It is not starting due to either a tune error, missing part, or something broken. I highly doubt the headers not being welded has anything to do with it.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw427ss @ Futral View Post
Why would you think the headers need to be welded to the exhaust?
I honestly have no ideal why I even said that LOL, I'm literally losing it and thinking of every thing that could possibly be the issue since everything seems to look good on the outside. I'll go over the tune again on Saturday and hope for the best!
Quote:
Old 04-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
It is not starting due to either a tune error, missing part, or something broken. I highly doubt the headers not being welded has anything to do with it.
That's the part that confuses me. When the installation was complete, we tried to turn it and on it shocking did...just to die once I wasn't applying any gas to it..now it won't start at all....I went out and purchased a new battery and a "strong" MAF sensor...and still no luck..I have noticed when it sits for a day, and I go to try and start it, the engine turns over a tad bit but backfires...I'm wondering if it could be a fuel issue since the car has been sitting for 3 months and has not been driven or started at all until recently? Any opinions or options would help...thank you!
Quote:
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
WheelMan69

Drives: 2015 SS/A6
Keys to starting car!
  1. Fuel--- Is it getting Fuel, Have you checked? (fuel pump sends good pressure)?
  2. Air
  3. Spark---Everything is plugged in? Sensors
  4. Tune

Haven't had much hands on in a LS Engine but this always seems to be the issue in cars, Good luck man.

Side note: With the VVT3 did you change your injectors? Had a buddy with a ProCharged SS have issues with fueling with his injectors, The car would not want to start the first time he would crack in the AM or after it sitting for a long time, long story short the injectors were leaking! Just a fun fact! because you mentioned it would want to crank after a couple of days sitting, that reminds me of his issue.

Hope you get it to turn on man.

Best of Luck sir.
WheelMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
I think I may be grasping what you're trying to say...but to make sure I understand, youre pretty much saying that regardless of the old tune I have, and regardless of the afm being deleted in a previous tune, I still need to reprogram it all over? If that's the issue I owe you big time!
Quote:
Old 04-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
We need more info. It sounds like you have an auto, correct?

Did you modify the Phaser per instructions?

Does the tune you have in the car now have the AFM tuned out?

I'm no expert but when we did mine the builder started the car before I uploaded Ryan's tune because he wanted to hear it and try it out. He called me and said "it started but wouldn't idle then stopped and he didn't want to try again. We loaded the tune and ran fine.
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Its in the tune, your timing or throttle are off.......And yes your idle should be much higher than stock.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
We need more info. It sounds like you have an auto, correct?

Did you modify the Phaser per instructions?

Does the tune you have in the car now have the AFM tuned out?

I'm no expert but when we did mine the builder started the car before I uploaded Ryan's tune because he wanted to hear it and try it out. He called me and said "it started but wouldn't idle then stopped and he didn't want to try again. We loaded the tune and ran fine.
Im fairly new to all of this so bare with me...

From what my tuner has said, the afm has been deleted since my first tune I've ever got last year..

I'll ask about him modifying the phaser but to have a better understanding, when you say per instruction, is there something he should be following? If so then that might be the issue... And yes, it's an L99
Quote:
Old 04-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Its in the tune, your timing or throttle are off.......And yes your idle should be much higher than stock.
Interesting..I'll pass this information along to him. When it comes to the tune, are there any specific areas besides the ones we have allready covered above that he should focus on when dealing with this type of cam?
Quote: