Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #15
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
There's a kit from Comp Cam you need to limit the phaser travel after you swap a cam.

Last edited by Badfinger; 04-29-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #16
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfinger View Post
If it's a L99 it must be reprogrammed, it won't run because it's looking for the AFM stuff and can't find it! Get with Ryan.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #17
Badfinger

Yeah, I know it looses something in the translation...
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #18
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Drives: 2011 White 2SS/RS
Quote:
There's a kit from Comp Cam you need to limit the phaser travel after you swap a cam.
So after testing the compression (which was only
Around 30psi) and taking the blocks off, I've come to find out that I didn't install a Limiter...which eventually lead to a few of the pushrods being bent..and possible damage that is still to be determined. I got in touch with Josh over at GPI, and I have a limiter and pushrods on the way....hopefully that should solve the problem! Can't believe I missed the most important part...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
My son is in 4th grade and every night he has to read for 20mins. He reads aloud to me Camaro 5, Camaro Performance, Motortrend, RC cars, and etc ever night.

Last edited by RetroXI; 04-30-2016 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
RetroXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Badfinger

Oh man, so sorry to hear that! I hope the damage is minimal, but the push rods bend because the valves are hitting the pistons, right? It's not a failure just another learning experience. We've ALL had them.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #20
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroXI View Post
So after testing the compression (which was only
Around 30psi) and taking the blocks off, I've come to find out that I didn't install a Limiter...which eventually lead to a few of the pushrods being bent..and possible damage that is still to be determined. I got in touch with Josh over at GPI, and I have a limiter and pushrods on the way....hopefully that should solve the problem! Can't believe I missed the most important part...
i hope the valve didn't hit the piston or you have to do a lot of work. even thought the idle is not raised the car should start .since you get the pushroad bended it make me think the cam wasn't in phase correclty and when you got the oil inside the lifter the valves touched the piston. that's just my idea. i'm more than happy being wrong
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #21
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Oh man, so sorry to hear that! I hope the damage is minimal, but the push rods bend because the valves are hitting the pistons, right? It's not a failure just another learning experience. We've ALL had them.
I know! I'm just upset that i didn't pay attention to the smallest yet most important piece I was missing. I let excitement get the best of me and had to pay for it in the end. I am happy to say the damage is minute. None of the lifters were ruined, and the pistons were fine. I just bent the valve where the bent pushrod was at. Back to the shop they go!

(BTW, Thank you for all of the help you've contributed when it comes to this situation also! I greatly appreciate it and would have been completely lost if you wouldn't have mentioned the Phaser Limiter! )
Quote:
My son is in 4th grade and every night he has to read for 20mins. He reads aloud to me Camaro 5, Camaro Performance, Motortrend, RC cars, and etc ever night.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #22
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
i hope the valve didn't hit the piston or you have to do a lot of work. even thought the idle is not raised the car should start .since you get the pushroad bended it make me think the cam wasn't in phase correclty and when you got the oil inside the lifter the valves touched the piston. that's just my idea. i'm more than happy being wrong
I think you may be correct. The pistons were fine (thankfully). I just had to send the heads off because one of the valves were bent where the pushrod was bent. Hopefully i should have it all back together by Saturday with an update! *Fingers Crossed*
Quote:
Old 05-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #23
Badfinger

Glad to hear no real damage done Now do we need to talk valves springs?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
WOW
Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #25
RetroXI
ME9ATRN

Quote:
Glad to hear no real damage done Now do we need to talk valves springs?
Haha! Thanks bro! And i took the smart road and upgraded those so
Quote:
Old 05-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #26
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
So are you saying without the limiter the cam was able to turn out of phase to where it allowed the valves to open when the pistons were at TDC? Glad you found it with minimal damage and sometimes it takes extra to learn but you will never do that again .. Be running soon!
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #27
trw427ss

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Which valves did you bend Intake or Exhaust?
12.007@ 115.20 With 18" Drag Radials - 11.93 @115.19 Added a PTB 11.76 @116.59 With Yank SS3200 Converter - 11.63 @116.52 After PI and Tuning 11.44 @118.75 New Best
10.72 @127.93 after heads and Cam and Yank SS3600
trw427ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #28
Badfinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
So are you saying without the limiter the cam was able to turn out of phase to where it allowed the valves to open when the pistons were at TDC? Glad you found it with minimal damage and sometimes it takes extra to learn but you will never do that again .. Be running soon!
Yes, the phaser allows about 50 to 60 degrees of timing movement and the limiter resricts it to about 20 degrees. Check out this video: