Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
I feel stupid, GM considers me stupid

I did months of research before I bought my 2011 Camaro, reading months of auto reviews etc. The 5th generation Camaro was love at first sight when I saw pictures of the concept auto. 2-1/2 months before I purchased my Camaro I reviewed the USA GM website (and priced) reviewed the Canada GM website (and priced). A month before I purchased I read Camaro5 daily. Talked to my wonderful dealer for about a month before I even went to my dealer to test drive a 2010 model. Thought I had everything covered when I ordered a 2011 2LT last mid May, fully optioned with 19-in polished wheels, leather interior etc., etc., but without RS package or sunroof.
Reading another thread on this site, more or less things you did not know about your Camaro, I now found I have been stupid. Reading this other thread made me leave my computer, go down the elevator to the parking garage, only to find I have no spare tire, I have no jack! I do have some sort of a box (with very poor directions written in small print, in perhaps Asian, French, English). This little tire inflation gizmo, is encased in the cheapist type of foam core that will fall apart in following years.
I feel stupid. Here in Canada my 2011 2LT had an MSRP at about $39,900 due to GM Canada inflating prices (GM Canada dealers not happy with this extreme inflatation as for years US dollars and Canada dollars almost equal). I love my Camaro but now feel stupid I spent that much money on 2LT and I do not have a spare tire or jack. I could almost justify this if the Camaro had run-flat tires, but it doesn't.
I just do not understand the GM, or others, thinking they can delete spare tires and jacks. Must we pay our auto clubs, pay On-star, pay and pay just to change a flat tire?
FYI worst case: Back in 1976 I bought a new 1976 Eldorado conv. Two months later took a road trip from Virginia to Texas. On a hot Sunday afternoon had a flat tire. Opened the trunk, no spare tire. Long story short 12 hours later towed to a gas station, the gas station owners cousin had a Lincoln, that Lincoln tire fit my Eldorado. Think about it, you are on a road trip with your Camaro, you have a flat tire, good luck trying to find a replacement tire in the middle of nowhere on a hot Sunday afternoon. Yes call On-Star, yes call your auto club, perhaps they have no service providers in your area? Example: Two years ago I drove my very low milage 1998 Riveria from Ottawa to middle Florida. I had a flat tire on the Interstate in middle nowhere Florida. My fault spare was not inflated. Auto club could not service that remote area of Florida interstate. Bottom line, bercause I could not change the tire myself, I ended up with close to $2000 in towing and repair bills. I did fight the bills later, took six months of effort and that one flat tire only cost me a few hundred dollars but also that one flat tire required I stay in a hotel and I lost 2-days of my road trip vacation time.
Am I stupid to buy an auto that is close to $40,000 MSRP without a spare tire and jack? Yes I was stupid. Is GM stupid putting their new car buyers in this situation where their customers can be stranded because they do not have a spare tire and jack? Yes. If you are driving the Interstate do you think you can find a replacement tire for your Camaro at the next gas station...NO. Will you have to call your auto club, or On-Star, only to be told they do not sevice that area? Yes, happened to me more than once.
Unless the auto comes standard with run-flate tires, I think it is irreponsible to sell an auto without a spare tire and jack. Next week I will be in contact with my dealer to purchase a spare tire and jack for my 2011 2LT Camaro. I must be stupid to have thought the price I paid for this Camaro included something so basic as a spare tire and jack.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Mellish50

Drives: 2011 SW M6 2SS
Isn't there a spare in the back under the trucks flooring right on top of the battery? I agree that the price difference of a camaro in the US compared to Canada is pretty astounding but those are the cards we've been dealt.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
you have to realize what kind of car a camaro is.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Pappi

Drives: 2010 IBM 2 LT RS
I ordered a spare for my 2lt.... I knew it would not come with one because I too researched the car just like you did..

Good luck
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
spare was an option. tire inflator new technology is standard. supposed to seal up to 1 inch gash and run 50 miles or something like that
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellish50 View Post
Isn't there a spare in the back under the trucks flooring right on top of the battery? I agree that the price difference of a camaro in the US compared to Canada is pretty astounding but those are the cards we've been dealt.
Nope. No spare for the 19" and 20" wheels.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Extra weight and room for more profit.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
jeff4946

Drives: 2010 RS 2LT
I would bet if you went back to dealer(which is the one who actually screwed you, not GM) ,and take a internet print out of what the RS package is supposed to come with, and remind them that most people ask buddies where they bought there car at, that jerky might just fix that spare tire thing for ya. I have the RS package, with the 20s ,and a spare tire. I didnt get the chick in thigh highs package which reallh pisses me off, cuz that is HOT!
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
jeff4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
There is already a thread on this, I'm just too lazy to search for it for you.

I had noticed the same thing on my order.

From what I recall..

It turns out that a spare tire that would fit in the trunk recess will not fit on the car due to clearance issues with the Brembo brakes, and a tire that would clear the larger brake calipers, won't fit in the trunk recess.

Thus, a compromise

But then again that issue was with regards to an SS.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

I have the 2SS/RS with the 20's and it has the inflator thing. No big deal to me, really.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
I'm down with the tire sealer spray and inflator... kinda cool to me. Just my opinion and can see your side.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
no comment
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You know you can buy a spare and a jack.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport

Yeah, the Dealer screwed you. yeah GM screwed you..... Are you kidding me. Did you read through the information about what was included with your car.

Sorry, there is a hole in the bucket where you poured your argument.